Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 Real Thing Mock 2 >

Real Thing Mock 2

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Real Thing Mock 2

Old 06-04-2007, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Real Thing Mock 2

Back in 1982 there was an article in an issue of RCM magazine about a goofy airplane called the Real Thing Mock 2. It was a silly little airplane, goofy looking, goofy plans with an engine drawn to look like a Moon shine still. I read the article in high school, thought it was amusing and quickly moved on to dream about my Bridi trainer 40. Strangely, House of Balsa came out with a kit version of the Real Thing Mock 2 and I once again thought it was amusing and quickly moved on to build my Super Sportster 40. Flash forward to the year 1986, my good flying buddy and I are walking through Sheldon's Hobby shop when he stops and pulls the Real Thing Mock 2 kit off the shelf. DUDE! He says, we gotta build a couple of these! HUH???????????? Why??????? Said I! Well, after a brief discussion we both left the store, proud new owners of the REAL THING MOCK 2. We built at a steady pace, working diligently each evening to complete our projects. He elected to build as the picture on the box showed. I elected to go the full Red Baron route complete with landing gear bent from aircraft aluminum at my Aircraft Mechanic School, blood red transparent monokote and soldered brass tubing for machine guns up front. Soon we took to the air with our new found craft. His powered by an O.S. 15 and mine by an HB 15 that had been sitting on the shelf collecting dust for years. They were a handful from the start! Strange flying, unstable, with dutch rolling dendencies on take off. In fact, Joe crashed on his first takeoff cutting his flight short, at which point I wanted to back out of flying mine and just relagate it too a museum for aircraft that never should have been. However, the unwritten law of flying buddies states that if you build two aircraft together and the first one crashes due to unforseen circimstances of design, the second aircraft shall be flown and sacraficed in lou of the obvious outcome. So, with a lump in my throat I fired up the ole HB, set the needle, pointed her into the wind and advanced the throttle. She accelerated, straight and true, lept into the air, and a touch of rudder caused the most wicked snap to the left, a correction resulted in a snap to the right. A WICKED DUTCH ROLLING tendedency on take off was noted and I thought for sure a third snap would put it in the ground so I braced for the inevitable crash.................but it never came..................she settled down............straightened right up and flew off, responding to her 3 channel control, leaving the wickedness of the takeoff behind as if it never happened.

That was 22 years ago! The RTM2 sat on the shelf for 20 years since I last flew her back in 1987. Last month I pulled her down and gave her a good once over. The broken tail with loose hinges was removed, and a Fokker tail was traced off of some plans I saw on the internet. The gas tank was toast after 22 years, as was the ancient Futaba radio system. With a little help from a set of JR adapter leads I was able to bring the ole Futaba servo's back to life coupled to a fresh JR receiver and radio. The faithful HB engine was a different story, she fought my efforts to revive her, resulting in a complete field over haul of the Perry style carb and the addition of a pressure tap on the muffler. Upping the nitro from 10 to 15% seemed to complete the engines revival, resulting in a fabulous weekend of 3 channel flying and more fun than any person should be allowed to have on 4 oz. of nitro fuel............ She still exibits the nastiness on take off but its almost a comforting familiarity that I have grown accustomed to and a zone that needs to be passed through to enjoy the rewards of her flight.

Its strange..............I have flown R/C trainers, sport planes, gliders, and warbirds. All have been a great deal of fun to fly, but this RTM2, for whatever reason, has never failed to leave me with a smile on my face and joy in my heart. The warm response and smiles I have received from bringing this little craft to the field recently has been quite surprising. Perhaps its something ultra different in our world of ARF's and prepacked, prepainted, cookie cutter aircraft.

What happend to Joe's RTM2 you ask? I finally remembered myself, he was doing low passes down the furrow's in the strawberry field next to the road and his final pass was below ground level. Not even his pilot Donald Duck, could save it then!

Any other RTM2 owners out there????

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34695.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	697288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28998.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	697289   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96833.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	697290  
Old 06-04-2007, 07:04 AM
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Real Thing Mock 2

Why yes there are. I still have a kit on my shelf to build. I found it and bought it a few years back. Just had to have it as it is a piece of my past years of RC. I will build it as soon as I get my Q Tee built. Thanks for the memories, Dave
Old 06-04-2007, 10:52 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I built this one in 1982 for a kit bashing contest at RCM magazine. I did not win.

Jim

Name:	Us52579.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	697406  
Old 06-04-2007, 11:03 AM

Nice job, Jim!!! You shoulda won something for your effort!

Dave, your welcome for the memories. I love to put memories into words!
Old 06-07-2007, 08:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I picked up a magazine with the construction article and it looked so simple and ridiculous I thought I might build one. Nice to hear somebody enjoyed it--maybe I'll give it a shot. Looks like you hardly even need the plans, let alone a kit, but RCM does carry plans. Jim
Old 06-07-2007, 11:33 PM

Well Buzz I think your right about not needing a kit. its all flat and square edged so there's not much too it. One caution, and this is something I wish I would have done years ago. The wing is just butt jointed together at the center section. I CA'd some thin glass cloth around it at one time but the instructions only said to butt it together. Before I flew her recently I noticed a looseness at the center section joint. I reglued and reglassed the area. If I was to build this craft again I'd put plywood dihedral braces in place of the balsa shear webs at the two center wing bays. I'm surprised it never came apart as its quite aerobatic and fly's quite fast on a good .15 I believe it was supposed to only take a .10 per the plans but I used what I had. I had this amusing thought about building a .25 size RTM2..................It was quickly replaced with the thought of building another Super Sportster 40

Its been an amusing plane, I wish I'd have put in less dihedral and added ailerons too. It can get pretty crazy and does some wicked spins, snap rolls and end over end lomshavaks. I left the ARF pilots at the field bewildered as to how this 3 channel thing with no ailerons could do all these manuevers. Its a blast to baffle the newbies with old school technology............especially when I use words like wash out and dihedral and they all say "whats that?" Looks like we'll have to educate a new generation on the finer points of aerodynamics. We've got our work cut out for us!

Having the time of my life 20 years later!

T
Old 06-08-2007, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello; I built one of those in '91, I flew it with an OS 10 FP. I remember it's bad take-off manners, I hand launched it to get around it's evil ground manners. I flew it for maybe two years, then donated it to a charity auction. It went for $200, I was amazed. I haven't seen it since, but I think it's hanging in someones basement or rumpus room, waiting to be discovered.

I bought a Goldberg Eaglet to replace it.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jockey--sounds like you had a lot of fun with it using just 3 channels. I really really like the simplicity of it--I would leave it as is. I flew 3 channel for years before I had an aileron plane, and I still enjoy. Yes, there are many who are actually afraid to fly without ailerons--funny isn't it?

So how did you do a lomcevak with it?

Thanks for the additional comments. Jim
Old 06-08-2007, 09:36 PM

Buzz your right about the 3 channel thing. I'll leave the RTM2 as she sits. might put a set of vintage wheels on it though. Perhaps a 25 size isnt so far fetched after all! Okay I'll build it right after I get a P-51 or P-47 built.

Ah the Lomchavak! I got it to tumble end over end by doing a 1 and 1/2 snap roll and once its wound up real tight I just pushed the stick forward to the full down position and the thing just came unglued, tumbling end over end in a cartwheel. I couldnt wipe the grin off my face for the longest time

Art Scholl described the manuever as " PUSH......... PULL and HANG ON" I suppose any combination would yield similar results.

I did have a problem with the lomchavak when the wing developed a bit of Wash In at the tips. Suddenly it would go into an unrecoverable flat spin and no input or combination of inputs would get it back out. It survived about 3 or 4 crashes like that when the speed of the autorotation slowed the descent rate enough to allow it to land undamaged like a helicopter(in tall grass of course), a couple times I just refueled it and flew it after the landing..............wierd airplane I tell you! I thought it was a CG problem but it even happened in a nose heavy condition. I later found the tips of the leading edge twisted upwards(wash in) and just twisted it the other way (wash out) under a heat gun. Problem solved. Last week the Wash out was still there after 20 years of sitting.

One crash knocked the gear off and being 19 years old and on a grass strip I had to fly it in the retractable mode!!! Much faster without the gear![>:]

It flew fantastic!

Have a great weekend all,

Tony

Old 06-14-2007, 09:53 AM

Added some Vintage wheels to increase the effect of "Realism"...................if that is even possilbe

Name:	Fd92760.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	703920