Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 Lets talk about Ugly Stick >

Lets talk about Ugly Stick

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Lets talk about Ugly Stick

Old 06-12-2007, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets talk about Ugly Stick

OK being this a sport flying forum, ther should be a thread to talk about the ugly stick. Lets talk about building them, flying them, and enjoying them. Feel free to upload any ugly stick pictures you have.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:42 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Lets talk about Ugly Stick

My Thunder Tiger Tiger Stick .40 ARF flying over the runway at Hawk Field. I fly it with a Magnum XLS .52A, which is loads and loads of power for this airframe. I think a Thunder Tiger GP-42 would actually fly this plane well, but some times too much is just right.

It can fly slow and stable, it can fly fast and furious, it can fly the entire sportsman pattern routine. It's easy to fly, it's easy to maintain, and it's easy to repair. It's also tough as nails; I own basketballs that I haven't bounced as much as this plane, and it just keeps coming back for more.

It flies off of paved runways smooth and easy, and it leaps off of grass fields even when the mowing has been neglected.

Bless you, Phil Kraft, for leaving us such a wonderful airframe design. You might have called it "Ugly," but your design has an elegant simplicity to it that is far too rare in this day and age.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pretty much learned to fly on my dad's Jensen Ugly Stik in the early '70s It was powered by a Webra blackhead 10ccm (.60) and had a ProLine radio. He later bought another one from Ken's Hobby Den, right around the corner from Whittier Narrows Flying Field here in So Cal. Ken use to sell framed up Ugly Stiks for just a few bucks more than the price of the kit. Both of them were covered in silk and dope. When I got back into the hobby in the early '90s, the first plane I looked for was an Ugly Stik. I bought a GP Big Stik .40 kit and Magnum Pro .45 and was in heaven!! I built three of them and inhereted one from my dad that is still hanging up in my garage. I just might pull her down one of these days and get her flying again

-Johnny-
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51754.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	703554  
Old 06-14-2007, 09:40 AM
My Feedback: (1)

I have a jensen now and its just amazing how much fun it is. there is a jensen scratchbuild in the scratchbuild forum section that has several guys with das ugly sticks posted in it.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:56 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 281 Likes on 243 Posts

I biult the Midwest Sweet Stick 30 years ago and put a OS Wankel rotary on it. It was a beautiful plane. I guess if I can ever get the 4 scale planes off the bench and into the hanger i need to revisit this design. If memory serves me correctly the flying matched it's name Sweet!
Old 06-14-2007, 12:26 PM
My Feedback: (3)

An Ugly Stick was the first airplane that I learned some aerobatics. Before a Stick I would fly circles and the occasional loop. It's still one of the best second airplanes you can buy.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:41 PM
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've always love "stiks' of all sizes....loved the .60 GP Kit version (built as a taildragger and Fox Eagle up front)...heck, that plane could even make ME look good [sm=72_72.gif]
Old 06-17-2007, 03:43 PM

Heres mine. Modified Jensen kit, built 1979. Kraft 61 engine. Kraft radio.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93262.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	705799