Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 Ever Thought About Precision Aerobatics?? >

Ever Thought About Precision Aerobatics??

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Ever Thought About Precision Aerobatics??

Old 06-18-2007, 03:21 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ever Thought About Precision Aerobatics??

I wanted to make all of you sport pilots aware of a new article in the latest issue, (July), of Model Aviation magazine. Looking for something new and different to challenge you--then this article may be of interest to some of you-----about the Senior Pattern Association, (SPA). Could SPA be right for you?

PATTERN---WHO ME. Why not--do you enjoy doing aerobatics when you fly--if so you might just consider channeling that desire into working on those loops, rolls, and spins to fly against other like-minded pilots in a low-pressure--high fun environment. If you are nervous about getting in front of others--don't be--we all have to start somewhere.

As I said in my first article for Model Aviation back in May 2006, there is stereotype way of thinking out there that all SPA pilots are a bunch of crusty old "&$%" who get together, relive the past, and fly their old relics. It is true that SPA was originally formed to remember the era of early pattern history where planes were more simple, inexpensive, and "Turnaround" wasn't even thought of, but things have changed over SPA's 15 year history. The emphasis is still on simple, fun, and inexpensive competition, but now pilots of many different backgrounds are getting involved, regardless of age, including younger competitors without direct knowledge of the vintage aircraft used in competition. The competition is very real, but doesn't involve NEARLY the investment needed to be competitive in today's pattern.

Have you ever thought of competing, but balked at the high price tag--SPA may be answer for you-- a way to get your "feet wet", see whether aerobatics is really your cup-of-tea or not. It may even be a stepping stone into AMA competition.

Personally I am interested in EVERY form of precision aerobatics--it's just a joy to watch a beautifully done maneuver regardless of the plane involved, or the venue---there is no right or wrong--there are only different areas of interest and specialization. If you love aerobatics, then see if SPA just might be for you!

Duane Wilson

Old 06-18-2007, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ever Thought About Precision Aerobatics??

Well said Duane, Just FYI, any AMA legal plane and engine can compete in novice class.

Mark SPA 353

Old 06-18-2007, 04:48 PM

ORIGINAL: antique opa

.... any AMA legal plane and engine can compete in novice class....

Mark SPA 353

Yes of couse you are right, as I said in the first article last spring----I can't say it all in just a couple paragraphs--they need to read the second article
Old 06-23-2007, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats the age req. and do they have a website?
Old 06-25-2007, 07:16 AM

There is no age requirement. We have people from late teens into the 80's.

Any questions please let me know

Duane