Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 Propeller pushing in reverse?!?! >

Propeller pushing in reverse?!?!

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Propeller pushing in reverse?!?!

Old 06-25-2007, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Propeller pushing in reverse?!?!

Hey all!

Tonight during warm-up of my OS .46 AX engine, I noticed the most bizarre behavior yet. When I flip started my plane, the prop starting pushing the plane in reverse! I stopped the engine thinking I flip started it backwards, but it was indeed running counter-clockwise. I started it back up the same way and it did the same exact thing. The air was still, with absolutely no wind. I revved up the engine just past half throttle and it started pulling the plane forward and it was fine the rest of the evening.

Just thought i'd share in what I considered an impossibility.

Hope all are getting enjoyable flight time in!

Jeff
Old 06-26-2007, 03:21 AM

Default RE: Propeller pushing in reverse?!?!

G'day Jeff,
If you have over primed the engine, it will indeed run backwards, not very well, but it will run, easiest way to fix is, don't overprime, or, if you have, flip it backwards up to compression & it will run the right way.
It happens all the time, until you get a feel for how much prime it needs, then it won't be a problem, I start most of my engines with a back flip, most times anyway. Especially my 160FX.
Oh & they don't need to be primed ever time you want to start them, only the first start of the day, there will be enough fuel in the crankcase after the first run.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:45 AM

Way back in once apon a time I had an engine that sometimes that would run 350deg or so alternately back & front
(did't make a breeze front or back , no thrust) it was a .29 Thor piston port & a POS it was.

Bill Teller
Old 06-26-2007, 01:53 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Allen is correct, a rich engine will often start backward. Flipping it backward will sometimes make it start in the right direction.

When I have this happen, I usually bring the throttle up to full for a second or two, then down to idle. This will usually make it quit. But if you goose the throttle JUST before it dies, it will occasionally change direction and start running correctly.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:06 PM

ahh ok, that's actually the first time I've had it happen, but I now see how it can occur.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:49 PM
Banned

a way i use sometimes..but probably not the safest is with my hand i put pressure on the spinner and it slows down then the engine turns in the right direction
Old 07-05-2007, 11:08 AM
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get that a lot with my boat. Sometime it'll even start in the right direction and then reverse itself if the idle is too unstable. [:@]