Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 UltraSport 40 -- Setup/Aerobatic Help >

UltraSport 40 -- Setup/Aerobatic Help

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

UltraSport 40 -- Setup/Aerobatic Help

Old 07-06-2007, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default UltraSport 40 -- Setup/Aerobatic Help

Hello all,

I just finished my UltraSport 40 (kit) last fall, and have spent much of this spring and early summer getting the plane trimmed out, and balanced properly.
I have a couple questions about this airplanes setup, as well as some general questions about some aerobatics maneuvers.

I have my CG set at 4-1/8". It seems to fly fine like this so I haven't moved it further back.
During inverted flight I have to add some down elevator to keep the nose up -- I have to hold in about 1/8 stick of down.
-- What CG setting are you using, and about how much down elevator do you need for inverted flight.

I have been messing with knife edge flight... well trying to anyway When I hold in the rudder to hold altitude the plane pitched significantly to the belly of the plane. This plane is setup with zero degrees incidence on the main wing. I know that I can increase the wing incidence or use a rudder to elevator mix, to mix out the coupling.
Im curious how other UltraSport planes behave in a knife edge flight attitude.

I have been having fun doing some basic aerobatics with this plane. I have been practicing being able to do them precisely and smoothly, and linking them all together to form a routine of sorts.
Here is what I have been working on:
Stall turns
Split S turns
Immelman turns
Cuban 8s
loops
rolls
inverted flight
knife edge
and my new favorite.... from straight and level flight, pull to a vertical climb, as airspeed slows I do a snap roll at the top, then come back down on the same line as the vertical.

What other aerobatics do you do with your UltraSport?

Can anyone tell me how to do a flat spin or an inverted flat spin?
Is an Ultra Sport capable to doing one?
I have seen videos of 3D type planes doing them, but never of a sport plane doing them.

Sorry for the long winded post, but If you get a chance to read through it and have some suggestions, id be happy to hear them.

Thanks,
Ryan

Here is a picture of my plane.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63299.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	717473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71931.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	717474  
Old 07-06-2007, 06:59 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: UltraSport 40 -- Setup/Aerobatic Help

ORIGINAL: RhyanO

Hello all,

I just finished my UltraSport 40 (kit) last fall, and have spent much of this spring and early summer getting the plane trimmed out, and balanced properly.
I have a couple questions about this airplanes setup, as well as some general questions about some aerobatics maneuvers.

I have my CG set at 4-1/8". It seems to fly fine like this so I haven't moved it further back.
During inverted flight I have to add some down elevator to keep the nose up -- I have to hold in about 1/8 stick of down.
-- What CG setting are you using, and about how much down elevator do you need for inverted flight.

I have been messing with knife edge flight... well trying to anyway When I hold in the rudder to hold altitude the plane pitched significantly to the belly of the plane. This plane is setup with zero degrees incidence on the main wing. I know that I can increase the wing incidence or use a rudder to elevator mix, to mix out the coupling.
Im curious how other UltraSport planes behave in a knife edge flight attitude.

I have been having fun doing some basic aerobatics with this plane. I have been practicing being able to do them precisely and smoothly, and linking them all together to form a routine of sorts.
Here is what I have been working on:
Stall turns
Split S turns
Immelman turns
Cuban 8s
loops
rolls
inverted flight
knife edge
and my new favorite.... from straight and level flight, pull to a vertical climb, as airspeed slows I do a snap roll at the top, then come back down on the same line as the vertical.

What other aerobatics do you do with your UltraSport?

Can anyone tell me how to do a flat spin or an inverted flat spin?
Is an Ultra Sport capable to doing one?
I have seen videos of 3D type planes doing them, but never of a sport plane doing them.

Sorry for the long winded post, but If you get a chance to read through it and have some suggestions, id be happy to hear them.

Thanks,
Ryan

Here is a picture of my plane.

I have never flown an UltraSport so I cannot comment directly. However, I can tell you that the CG will affect the way the plane flies significantly.

A Tail-Heavy plane will often pull toward the wheels in KE (Knife Edge) flight, but you may sacrifice the ability to Flat-Spin if you move the CG foreward. Here is a more complete trimming guide. http://www.rcaerobats.net/trim_chart.htm

I like to set my CG where it will still Flat-Spin. I can always mix out any KE Pitch.

Here's my way of doing flat-spins.

Upright...At stall speed, low throttle, pull full "Left Rudder", full "UP Elevator", and full "Left Aileron". Allow plane to enter spin. Now increase throttle to about 25% and slowly relax aileron. Adjust Throttle to raise the nose, and adjust Aileron to flatten the wing. You may even need a bit of "Right Aileron" to get the spin flat. Give yourself lots of altitude at first.

Inverted...At stall speed, low throttle, pull full "Right Rudder", full "Down Elevator", and full "Left Aileron". Allow plane to enter spin. Now increase throttle to about 25% and slowly relax Aileron. Again adjust Throttle and Aileron to flatten out the spin. Give yourself even more altutude at first.

Good luck on your aerobatics.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: UltraSport 40 -- Setup/Aerobatic Help

Hey thanks for the tips on the Flat Spins!
I will make a point of trying it out the next time I get out to the field to fly.

Does anyone know how to do a Lomchevek? (sp???)
I have heard of this maneuver, but I havent a clue as to how to do one.

Thanks,
Ryan