Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 Midwest Citabria delight >

Midwest Citabria delight

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Midwest Citabria delight

Old 07-09-2007, 04:26 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midwest Citabria delight

My friend has one of these with an OS 91 on it. I like the way it looks in the air, so I bought a kit for myself. That was about a year ago. Kit started, but lots more to go. Yesterday , he offered to let me fly his again. I think I flew it once a few years back. Keep in mind, I've been flying 1/4scale aerobatic planes for the last few years, namely the Funtana 100 and Goldberg Sukhoi. Flying the Citabria was a pure joy. It just flies so nice and smooth. Very scale like when not pushed past half throttle. Anyway, I did some nice low level aerobatics including knife edge, slow rolls, cuban 8's, and the usual loops and hammerhead stalls. The plane gives you the feeling that you are flying something much bigger and more expensive than it really is. It's a very simple airplane, with no bad tendencies. We had about 5 mph crosswind that day, and it landed smoother than any I can remember.

My point to all this is just that it sure is nice to just fly for fun in "normal" mode once in a while. The Midwest Citabria would make a great plane for introductory flights also, for when new people show up at the field and want to get their hands on the sticks. I'm itching to get mine finished now. Just need to make the time for it. I think planes like these are what sport flying is all about.

Eddy
Old 07-09-2007, 04:48 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Midwest Citabria delight

I agree with you about the "normal mode" thing. I just finished Sig Smith Miniplane, Saito 62, and its just a joy to fly, very relaxing for slow aerobatics. Post some pics of your progress; here are a few of my new bipe.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31683.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	719189   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80633.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	719190   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38526.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	719191  
Old 07-09-2007, 06:37 PM

I like bipes too. The trouble with them for me is they have short little wings that can be hard to see at times. That's why I fly the bigger planes. I had an Ultimate several years ago, and I lost orientation on that one more than all the rest combined. The Smith is nice, because you can leave it assembled. The Citabria is good for those slow aerobatics, and it looks very scale in the air. Basically need to build one wing and the fuselage. I'm a slow meticulous builder these days. I used to build a model from scratch in a week.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:12 PM

I also like my Midwest Citabria and one of these days I'm going to get off my lazy and put it back in the air. Just don't really have the room to get it down right now, but I will. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 07-10-2007, 07:56 AM
My Feedback: (10)

Not24- no pics???
Old 07-10-2007, 01:19 PM
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the Midwest Citabria kit still NIB. I've also got the glass cowl and wheelpants.

I have been studying the differences between the Citabria and the Decathlon. I REALLY want to bash this Citabria into a Decathlon.

So far, the major difference is the wing. The Citabria is sort of a Clark Y and the Decathlon is fully semetrical. It wouldn't be hard to change the ribs to fully symetrical. I'd have to change all the sheerwebs because the symetrical wing is going to place the spars farther apart, so that opens the gap between them up. Stock sheer webbing pieces probably wouldn't fit.

Another thing I'd have to change is the wing saddle. From looking at the plans, it doesn't appear it will be easy to change the wing saddle shape to fit a symetrical wing. I have a couple different ideas on how to deal with this problem.

Other differences between the Citabria and the Decathlon are in the tail surfaces. I know the Decathlon has counterbalanced tail surfaces, but my Citabria kit doesn't. Changing the elevators to have counterbalances isn't hard at all.

I'm planning to use a little 18cc or 21cc weedeater for power. Thats about .95--1.20 cubic inches. Should be fine for my altitude. It's going to be a gas/glow Hybrid and run with a glow plug. I can't afford the weight of the magneto or electronic igntion battery, so running it in Hybrid configuration is the best option. It won't be as efficient to operate as a straight gas engine, but it will have the carb and reliability of a gasser.

I don't know when I'll get to this kit. I have other projects on the table and am kind of stalled out on building right now. It's flyin' season--too busy burning fuel to mess with building. [sm=tongue_smile.gif]

I plan to do a full build thread in the Kit forum when I finally open the box. Maybe this winter? Watch for it.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:53 PM

The full scale decathlon doesn't have a fully symmetrical airfoil. It's done just about the same way the kit is done. It's got a little curve on the bottom, but not a lot. IMO, it's not worth modding the MW kit for this, because it flies absolutely fine inverted just as it is.

All Citabrias have counterbalanced tails, even the aeronca champ from where it came. I thought about changing mine to be more scale. Wait a minute! I think I did do that on mine. It's been a long time.

I looked at many full scale citabrias on the net to get a better idea of the tail and the top of the fuselage. I decided it would be more trouble than it was worth to change it. I haven't started the fuse yet, so I can do it any way I want.

I don't normally do construction photos. I may do some in the bones on this one.