Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 Delta 40  C/G location >

Delta 40 C/G location

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Delta 40 C/G location

Old 07-21-2007, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delta 40 C/G location

Hi all,
Does anyone know anything about this delta,C/G location and control surface setup?
It was acquired second hand and i have no manual with it,the previous owner couldn't remember the setup info.
I can run the no's through a c/g program for c/g,but,was hoping someone who knows about or has owned the Delta 40 could inform me the manual information or setup.
Cheers,
Craig
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22306.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	727748  
Old 07-21-2007, 11:19 PM

Default RE: Delta 40 C/G location

I do not know you model, who made it?
Try 10-20% of the MAC if you do not know how to find the MAC check out: http://www.airfieldmodels.com
start with the more forward value and move it back a little at a time till you get the control and stability you are looking for.
The guys in the aerodynamics or extreme speed forums might have a better answer for you.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:47 PM

Thanks iron eagel,
I have no idea who made it,it is an arf that is/was made in china i believe and is put together quite well,have searched with no luck.
Thanks for the link and advice.That is an awesome site full of great info.
Cheers, Craig.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:56 PM

That is the same Delta that we have.
It is made by Green Models (but not the USA Company but the same company that makes their Butterfly electric model).
I will get one of my sons to find the manual and will PM you with the info. by memory, The Cof G is quite a way back from the nose - maybe 2/3rds of the entire lenght to the wing. If they can't find the manual, I have the CofG marked from the book on ours and will send you that info.

It's a great flying model. (I've even managed to recover ours from a spin but I wouldn't suggest that as a common manuevre for any Delta unless you are very familiar with them). Maybe not as fast as a Diamond Dust but still an absolute blast. We have ours set up with a mix so that the rudders both open outwards (right rudder goes right and left goes left) to act as speed brakes for landing. Depending on which radio you have, you may want to try the same thing (Remember you need to mix in 2 servos - the two rudder ones and the nosewheel - if you are keeping the landing gear on it).
they fly well with any "46 sized motor, I've had a Supertigre G51 in ours and it currently has a Magnum 52 with a 10/8 APC prop on 15% Nitro fuel.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:39 PM

ok. hi all im steve's son. on our delta the set up c.g. that we have is 40 cm from the trailing edge of the model . it fly's very very well with it there so i'd say if u have a similar or same dimensioned delta as ours then that would be the ideal c.g. for you.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:42 PM

oh and looking at the picture of your delta it's exactly the same one . we have the yellow colour scheme though. if yoiu do the c.g. from the middle of your fins thats the best place to do it .

hope this is help for you.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:58 AM

G'day aussiesteve and toothpick,Thanks guys for the info,very much appreciated.I was hoping someone with flight experience with this model would reply with the c/g setup,takes that "not sure" how she'll respond feeling with regard to stability prior to my first flight on it.I ran the numbers through a c/g calculator and the figure it came up with was slightly forward of your recommendation.I will set it up as you guys run yours,i like the idea of speed brake setup on the rudders and will setup for the same,does she pitch up much when brakes activated?I will be setting it up on my 3810adt.
Couple more questions fellas,would you please let me know if you can, how many millimetres you have on the throws,elevons-elevator and aileron,rudders and your outward throw on rudders with brakes and does it require any "reflex"- slight up of elevators with stick centred in initial setup or just set them for centre of wing?
I am going to put a very healthy Tigershark .46 on it and have a macs pipe also looking for a new home that will fit nicely underneath.
Any additional help with the previous questions re. throws would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again fellas,
Cheers,
Craig.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:30 AM

G'day mate
I just got Toothpick to measure them

Elevators - 15mm each way.
Ailerons - 15mm Each Way (I know it's the same surface but those are the travel on both functions)
Rudders - 25mm Each Way

Speed Brakes - 30 mm Travel (as much as we could get).

It does pitch up slightly with the speed Brakes but it makes it look kind of cool. There is plenty of control while it is in that flight condition.

I do not have reflex set up. The surfaces are centred.

I have it set up on a PCM9X for the speed brake mix. Use it for the first time up high - just in case anything untoward happens.

The tigershark and pipe will work well. allow yourself plenty of time to fit it - it's kind of frustrating due to the tight space. Install the nosewheel but leave the control horn loose before fitting the engine.

Just FYI - (I know you don't have the manual) but ours is set up as per the manual and those settings worked so well we left them at that.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:36 AM

G'day mate,
Many thanks to you both for your time and advice in helping me with this.
Cheers,
Craig.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:53 PM

No Worries Mate
Old 09-11-2007, 02:05 PM

Is this delta available in the states and if so where and whats it called.
Thanks.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:10 PM

Sorry Mate
I'm not sure on that.
Try Speaking with Green ModelsUSA.

www.greenmodelusa.com

I know this Delta is made by the same company that manufactures their "Butterfly" electric flyer. (Over in Oz we called the butterfly an EZ Flyer). Maybe they can assist you.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:18 PM

Thanks for the info. I will give them a ring. Its a slick looking little plane.
DD
Old 09-11-2007, 05:22 PM

It's a nice flyer.
Goes fast(ish) yet lands real tame.
My only gripe with it is that the motor installation is a fiddly affair if you use the undercarriage on it. If you don't use the undercarriage, it needs mods because the motor is mounted inverted.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:03 PM

G'day aussiesteve,was about to post in reply to glowplug and noticed you already had.Havn't flown the delta yet,i noticed one of the main leg undercarriage blocks need re-gluing when checking over to set up.Maybe that was why it was thrown in for free with the purchase of another model,but,once i get the time to cut into it and repair,(i'll do both blocks at same time) she'll be as good as new.By the way,only recently purchased a new 9XII so,as a bonus, it will be a better set up than with the 3810.I like that 9XII with it's additional features.

Cheers Mate,
Craig.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:13 PM

G'day DD,It's got a 49" span.Just to let you know.
Cheers,
Craig.