Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 ultrasport 60 vs patriot XL >

ultrasport 60 vs patriot XL

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

ultrasport 60 vs patriot XL

Old 07-28-2007, 09:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ultrasport 60 vs patriot XL

I want a high speed sport plane that flies smooth and stable like a pattern plane, and plan on using a tower hobbies .75 engine. I'm deciding between the patriot XL and the GP Ultrasport 60. I'm not looking for extreme speed, but would like to achieve maybee 90-100mph. I have read tons of reviews that say the ultrasport 60 is a fantastic flier but how fast would it be with the tower .75, and how would it compare to the patriot for performing pattern style aerobatics?
Old 07-29-2007, 05:53 AM
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ultrasport 60 vs patriot XL

I don't think you are going to find flat-out speed AND pattern aerobatics in either plane. You are probably going to have to decide which you want to do better. The Patriot will be better at top speed at the expense of aerobatic ability, while the US will be better at aerobatics at the expense of top speed. Granted, the US can be a fast plane, but it is not designed as an all-out speed plane. Pick your preference, then pick your plane accordingly.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have to agree. I have flown both planes and while the US60
flies wonderfully its not a fast plane. The Patriot I flew did not impress
me very much. It was fast but thats about all you could say for it.

If you are looking for a fast aerobatic capable plane consider
the Sig King Kobra. It should be great with your Tower 75.
Ive flown the King Kobra as well as its smaller brother the Kougar
and these are really terrific flying planes. Fast, with swept wings,
and pretty easy to build.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:10 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have also flown the patriot, us60, kougar, and king kobra.

Patriot – wants RPM’s that your 75 can not supply. My patriot flew best with a rossi .45 but with a stock tank location the grass had to be short and all takeoff runs were long. I put a pump on the F-14 to move the tank to the cg and that helped with the long takeoff runs off grass. My patriot started life with a Super Tigre GS-45 for power and with that engine there were days that it would not get airborn. Once airborn all roles had some barrel component. The rudder was not effective enough to be reliable in in stall tuns, and to far back to be effective in wing overs.

If you want to go fast it’s the plane for that.

US60 – will do close to 100 mine has been clocked at 92mph. It can do all the maneuvers at close to idle even. Its very clean model and slowing it down on landing takes some pratice/experimenting.

Kouger / King Kobra – is only trike gear and will do all the maneuvers although the US60 flys straighter ( needs less rudder and aileron correction during maneuvers). The K / KK lands more like a low wing trainer with much higher drag making the decent to landing much more controllable in areas with obstacles.