Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 Sig extra 300sx, Which motor is best? >

Sig extra 300sx, Which motor is best?

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Sig extra 300sx, Which motor is best?

Old 08-09-2007, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig extra 300sx, Which motor is best?

the plane is the SIG extra 300sx 1.2 to 1.5, 73 inch ARF version. I cant decide what would be the best engine for this airplane. I have considered putting an OS 1.60 in it but sort of like the idea of a gasoline engine. Has anyone had any experience with this plane with a gas engine or is it strictly a glow engine plane.

My main concerns are fuel mess all over the plane, what are the cleanest type on engines to use. 2 stroke,4 stroke, or gas?

I appreciate any help or advice you can give, Thanks
Old 08-09-2007, 06:21 PM

Default RE: Sig extra 300sx, Which motor is best?

G'day Mate,
An OS 160FX, Bisson Pitts Muffler, mounted sideways, exhaust goes under the plane, very little oil get's on to the fuselage & tail, & even less on the wings, easy clean up.
Plenty of power, easy to run & tune, but don't under prop the 160, start with a 16x10, & see how it performs. Then go larger, 17x10 or even an 18x10.
Or a 40cc gas engine, if you like.

Added, OS have just brought out the FS200 four stroke, it would have comparable power to the 160FX.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:42 PM

hello,

I have been doing a little more research, And I cant decide between 3 engines.

1. OS 1.60 with pitts muffler
2 Saito 1.80 four stroke
3. Not sure about this one though, A FUJI imvac 32cc gasser motor or similar. really concerned with weight with this type of engine

I like the sound of gas and four stroke engines over 2stroke glow engines. but if the OS 1.60 has more than enough power I will consider it.

I dont have the plane yet But dont want it to be under powered with my choice of engine combination.

I am new here on the forums and new to the 300sx, So I will probably have plenty of questions about it.

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:46 PM
3dd
My Feedback: (6)

the plane is not really big enough for gas.it raises the wing loading up too high.i had a moki 2.10 in mine and it flew great
Old 08-10-2007, 10:27 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I second that. The Moki (now called Mark and sold by Hobby People) 1.80 or 2.10 would be a better choice than any of your current options. The Sig Extra is too heavy for really good performance with the 1.60 or Saito 1.80, and you don't want to use a heavy gas engine that would make the wing loading worse than it already is. Unless you want to try 3D, I'd recommend the Moki/Mark 1.80 because it is about 4 ounces lighter than the 2.10.

Jim
Old 08-10-2007, 06:31 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I flew one back when they first came out with a Saito 1.80. This is a good combo.

David
Old 08-12-2007, 05:15 PM

one other motor choice for those of you with this plane. do any of you think the saito 2.20 four stroke might be a little too much? or would the 1.80 be a better choice here. I have decided against the gas engine idea, due to the added weight. I also have been considering the mark engines too.

Would really like to fit a 4 stroke to it. I am now thinking of the OS fs200 or the saito fa-220.

Just want to ask about all options before I lay down the chunk of money for one.

Thanks to those who replied