Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 TWO NEW PLANES!!! :) >

TWO NEW PLANES!!! :)

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

TWO NEW PLANES!!! :)

Old 08-23-2007, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TWO NEW PLANES!!! :)

Hey all I just got the deal of a lifetime today off of craigslist! I Posted a wanted ad stating that I want any gas planes that are rtf... not caring what kind of shape its in. to my surprise the next day a about 60 year old long time flyer that builds planes gave me a message back saying he has two planes.. A Thunder Tiger 40with a 40 os engine and a Carl Goldberg Eaglet with a 25 on it.. He said they both fly beautifully... the thunder tiger isn't in great shape but flies perfect.. and the Carl Goldberg was beautiful he said. he was asking 350 for both planes... So I met him up at the local mall and saw the two planes in the back of his truck and was just READY to get my hands on them... So started talking and he said... "Well you are a young man into the hobby and I like to see that (Im 17) so I'll let you have them both for 100 dollars)!!!!!!! I was in SHOCK in about .0000005 seconds I had the money in his hand.... I got the transmitters.. rtf planes.. and chargers for both planes and both transmitters... for 100 dollars!!!! Ill take that over a tank of gas anyday! I got them home with a smile on my face the whole ride home... I got in the house and hooked up the batteries and ALL electronics worked PERFECTLY... went out in the shop and tried starting them.. each one started on about the 3rd spin with the chicken stick.. Im soooooo excited to go ahead and take them out on there maidens tomorrow morning, buying a little digital camera tomorrow morning also to get some inflight video! ill keep it updated on here Here are some pictures of the planes!
Old 08-23-2007, 01:26 AM

Default RE: TWO NEW PLANES!!! :)

pics dont work but sounds like and awesome deal!
Old 08-23-2007, 07:14 AM

here you go.. they were too big after all that writing to upload haha
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48876.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	747736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16526.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	747737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78417.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	747738  
Old 08-23-2007, 07:15 AM

heres the Thunder Tiger 40
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79051.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	747739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94321.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	747740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50632.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	747741  
Old 08-23-2007, 09:02 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 281 Likes on 243 Posts

You did get the deal of a lifetime. Both planes should be stable reliable flyers. You are going to have a blast!
Old 08-23-2007, 09:42 AM

nice score
Old 08-23-2007, 11:25 AM

hey all just got back from the maidens.... PERFECT! The blue one is an absolutely beautiful flyer.. very strong for a 25 engine, the Thunder Tiger didn't want to stay started though, me and some of the guys at the field started it up and VERY VERY strong engine it was hard for me to hold on to while testing it, but when it cut down to idle it wanted to cut off abruptley.. I'm gonna take the carbeurator off and soak it in some cleaner and I believe that will do the trick. but for a maiden of 2 airplanes for 100 dollars this was an amazing maiden.. the blue one takes off REAL easy and floats down for a landing, had a dead stick due to running out of gas (didn't wanna bring it down it was too fun!) but perfect dead stick landing and rolled right up to my feet, great day yall! keep you updated.... once i get the big 40 up in the air thats the one im gonna put the camera on.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:26 PM

Definately a great score. It is good to see thse old timers helping out the younger guys. I had alot of older guys help me into the hobby as well. I know for sure I never would have been able to do it myself. Have fun with your new planes!!

PS- Make sure you check the Low Speed idle adjustment screw on the .40 to see that it is set right. If it runs strong up top it sounds like it is getting starved down low. Just a suggestion.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:42 PM

thanks tru blu... Which screw would that be? I see like 3 adjustment screws on this egine.... ALSO I found a leak where the shaft and the prop meet. If i would turn the blade oil and air would kind of spirt out of the leak.. I believe that the engine is not getting sufficient gas at low rpms (idle) because the engine is not sealed sufficiantly and this is why at idle it cuts off... also if you plug the carbeurator you have to really spin the blade FAST to get any gas going through the tubes, so this is why I believe it is that engine lead..? any ideas????
Old 08-23-2007, 01:54 PM

I am not 100%sure which carb you have on that engine but if it has a bleed screw it will mounted horizontal on the carb facing the High end needle which is the big one. The top carb screw is a idle stop screw. It is used to set a idle point. The low end screw is similar to the high end in that you turn it in to lean and out to richen. If the carb has a small hole in the front then that adjustment is just the opposite as it a Air Bleed screw so you turn it in to enrichen the mixture and out to lean.

As for the leak in the front that may be the cause as well. But I would ensure the carb is set right as I have an old K&B .20 that leak pretty good out the front and still runs alright. Hope this helps.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:06 PM

alright thanks alot! I'll try that later tonight as I have to leave for work (dammit) haha hate gettin away from the planes to WORK
Old 08-23-2007, 02:10 PM

ORIGINAL: chevypower1930

alright thanks alot! I'll try that later tonight as I have to leave for work (dammit) haha hate gettin away from the planes to WORK
Yeah work sucks but you gotta have a job to support this money pit of a hobby. Hope you get it running good!

edit: I just went back and looked at your pics again that Engine looks like it is a Thunder tiger Motor as it has a square head like My thunder Tiger Pro .46. Just curious....
Old 08-23-2007, 02:12 PM

hahah yes sir HUGE money pit (exept this deal) haha thanks i'll keep you updated on how it runs...
Old 09-01-2007, 08:50 PM

I was given my first rtf glow plane with radio when I was about 12 or 13 by an older guy. I overheard these guys my dad and I were hanging out with talking about the direction of the propeller being installed on the fishing boat. Someone had put it on backwards, and they were joking the boat would back up. I piped up with a confident "no it won't", after of course looking at this possibility endlessly tinkering with my CL models.

Some of the guys chuckled, we looked at it, I knew it would be sluggish, but would not suddenly back up. And one guy said "I'll bet you it backs up". Figuring "he probably won't skin a kid over this", I said sure, I'd take a bet.

After the day was done he showed my dad and I his shop. Planes everywhere, engines, radios, the guy was a builder as well as a flyer. Good at fishing too. Anyhow, for the most part I was right he conceded, and he gave me an Attack-4 and one of the 3 chan dynaflite birds with an OS 20 on it. I just about peed in my pants, things like radio gear is what kept me and dad out of RC, that stuff was expensive.

My dad just shook his head the whole way home and said "Do me a favor, don't get good at gambling".

The plane didn't last too long, but I still have the engine and radio though. I just figure I can do the same to some kid who will put them to good use and carry on the cycle.

eniac
Old 09-03-2007, 04:03 PM

thats an awesome story man.... me just getting a little aero ace about 2 years ago got me HOOOKED into this hobby