Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 Tiger 60 Engine/prop >

Tiger 60 Engine/prop

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Tiger 60 Engine/prop

Old 09-21-2007, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiger 60 Engine/prop

I've just finished a Goldberg Tiger 60 Deluxe kit. This kit was designed (according to the box specs) for a max engine size of .61 2 stroke. The deluxe version of the kit has retracts, and I tend to build heavy. Specs say about 8 lbs flying weight (for the non-deluxe version). Cannot find a spec for the deluxe (retract) version. This is a tricycle gear configuration.

Anyway, given it's a heavier plane because of the retracts AND I build heavy, I decided to go with .91 OSFX. My finished weight ended up being 9 lbs 10 oz. I also decided to go with a 3-blade prop. Right now, I'm using a Master Airscrew 12x8 3-blade and a TruTurn spinner. It looks great, but I'm not completely happy with the way the engine is running. (Fairly new engine...only about 1 gallon of fuel run through it so far...maybe I'm looking for too much too soon!)

Opinions? Am I running the right size prop? One reason I decided on 3-blade was that I was afraid I would not have enough clearance since I was putting a larger than recommended size engine up front...automatically calls for a bigger prop unless I went 3-blade. The OS manual seems to call for a 13x8 2-blade. General rule of thumb for 3-blade conversion is reduce diameter by 1 inch and stick with same pitch.

Help me out here!
Old 09-26-2007, 08:56 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Tiger 60 Engine/prop

That prop sounds about right, and that engine will be WAY more than a Tiger 60 needs (Even a heavy one)
Old 09-26-2007, 07:39 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tiger 60 Engine/prop

My guess is that you'll be far happier with your .91 FX after your third gallon of fuel than after your first. It's a large ringed engine and it's simply going to take some extra running time to break in thoroughly.

I think your engine choice and propeller choice are both sound. The more you fly the combination you've chosen, the more you're going to like it.