Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 What servos to buy for Phoenix .40 Spit >

What servos to buy for Phoenix .40 Spit

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

What servos to buy for Phoenix .40 Spit

Old 10-11-2007, 05:03 PM
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What servos to buy for Phoenix .40 Spit

There are so many different kind of servos out there, I'm having a hard time deciding what servos to buy. Is a $10 Futaba "standard" ok, or do I need to get something better? I'm confused[&:]
Old 10-11-2007, 05:18 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What servos to buy for Phoenix .40 Spit

For a .40 sized plane the standard servos are fine.

Dave
Old 10-11-2007, 11:36 PM
My Feedback: (18)

Standard servos are fine but I think you are better off spending a couple extra bucks and make sure you get good ball bearing rather than bushing servos.

Also, check out the hitec servos. You generally get more servo for the dollar with Hitec.

These are good http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-425..._sport_bb.html

The Futaba S3004 is a good servo too.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:57 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Hitec 425BB would be a great servo for your plane. I have quite a lot of them and never a problem.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:21 PM

Check these out:

[link=http://www.nitroplanes.com/41ghitoporac.html]SG5010[/link]

They have worked VERY well for me.

On over 60+ of them that I've purchased two have been bad, but at that price....

Old 10-12-2007, 05:02 PM
My Feedback: (18)

I dont know about that particular servo but I have read lots of bad reviews on the tower pro line

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_44...tm.htm#4445658

Can they really offer a coreless servo with more than 100oz of torque for $10? It seems way to good to be true.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:18 PM

I saw that thread before I purchased the very first ones I tried. I purchased a few with trepidation as a result.
Thankfully the posters were not entirely correct.

I've been using the SG5010's not the MG995's they talk about. I can't speak to the MG995's to be fair.

While I've had a bad one or two, these have been quite easy to weed out ( just apply pressure to the control surface while you move the sticks... if there seems to be a ratcheting movement or non-smooth movement, toss the servo! ).

I've used them on planes ranging from .30's through 1.40 sized planes w/o problems. I use these in place of standard or hi-torque servos, and in many cases in place of digitals when I don't think I need digitals...

e.g. I'm building a Giant U-Can-Do with these servos mounted in all positions...

While not as good in holding a postion against blowback as a digital servo, they do a fine job.

I've had NO higher frequency of failures with these than I've had with say Futaba's, JR's and Hitecs...

At the moment I've had more failures and bad servos with Hitec's than anything else. I give Hitec the benefit of the doubt though since they are so highly thought of here, and assume that I just ran accross a few bad ones.

Like anything else, test and use some common sense and caution and yes for 10.00 you get that much torque ( or assume the advertizing is inflated hype, and you only get 88oz of torque, it's still quiet good ) .

The "why risk your plane/car/boat" arguement is a bit specious though. If I'm getting higher failures with say the Hitecs, then I guess I should be avoiding those instead. I have had Futaba & Hitec servo's react to interference from a glow engine, but so far not with these.

I've also purchased the SG's in lots of 20+ at a time for a whopping 6.78/ea with shipping, from other sources.

The SG's are TowerPro/Hextronics, which are often rebranded and sold under other names. Often the very people who knock this stuff as being overly "cheap", don't realize that what they may talk up elsewhere is either the same thing or made in the same place... for the most part in China.

e.g. the TowerPro motors are sold by BP Hobbies as their own brand of motors such as the 2915D, etc.

If you look in this thread you'll see that one guy took them apart to analyse them and found them to be pretty good.

He improved the resolution by changing the resistor, though I haven't found them to be problematic for typical flying.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_49...tm.htm#4974007

Old 10-12-2007, 08:46 PM

ORIGINAL: opjose

I saw that thread before I purchased the very first ones I tried. I purchased a few with trepidation as a result.
Thankfully the posters were not entirely correct.

I've been using the SG5010's not the MG995's they talk about. I can't speak to the MG995's to be fair.

While I've had a bad one or two, these have been quite easy to weed out ( just apply pressure to the control surface while you move the sticks... if there seems to be a ratcheting movement or non-smooth movement, toss the servo! ).

I've used them on planes ranging from .30's through 1.40 sized planes w/o problems. I use these in place of standard or hi-torque servos, and in many cases in place of digitals when I don't think I need digitals...

e.g. I'm building a Giant U-Can-Do with these servos mounted in all positions...

While not as good in holding a postion against blowback as a digital servo, they do a fine job.

I've had NO higher frequency of failures with these than I've had with say Futaba's, JR's and Hitecs...

At the moment I've had more failures and bad servos with Hitec's than anything else. I give Hitec the benefit of the doubt though since they are so highly thought of here, and assume that I just ran accross a few bad ones.

Like anything else, test and use some common sense and caution and yes for 10.00 you get that much torque ( or assume the advertizing is inflated hype, and you only get 88oz of torque, it's still quiet good ) .

The "why risk your plane/car/boat" arguement is a bit specious though. If I'm getting higher failures with say the Hitecs, then I guess I should be avoiding those instead. I have had Futaba & Hitec servo's react to interference from a glow engine, but so far not with these.

I've also purchased the SG's in lots of 20+ at a time for a whopping 6.78/ea with shipping, from other sources.

The SG's are TowerPro/Hextronics, which are often rebranded and sold under other names. Often the very people who knock this stuff as being overly "cheap", don't realize that what they may talk up elsewhere is either the same thing or made in the same place... for the most part in China.

e.g. the TowerPro motors are sold by BP Hobbies as their own brand of motors such as the 2915D, etc.

If you look in this thread you'll see that one guy took them apart to analyse them and found them to be pretty good.

He improved the resolution by changing the resistor, though I haven't found them to be problematic for typical flying.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_49...tm.htm#4974007

I gotta ask you, WHAT?!?! how can a servo cause interference isnt the rx what picks up the signal?

maybe you had metal on metal or something but i would like to know how a servo causes glitch/interference i always thought a servo picked up info not sent it back to the rx....
Old 10-12-2007, 09:24 PM

I didn't say the servo CAUSED interference, rather that it seemed to react to interference.

I had a brand new Hitec Metal Gear servo that would react to certain engine RPM's by moving rapidly back and forth. I intially was using it for rudder control along with three more Hitec's on the same plane.

I changed out the extensions, the engine ( yes even with a different engine from another manufacturer ), the RX, the battery and all electronics including the other servos, and the problem remained with the bad servo.

I moved the servo to another channel, and position, and the problem remained with the servo.

This was not a metal to metal contact issue, etc.

I replace the servo with another identical Hitec in exactly the same channel, etc. as before.

Problem gone.

Just to double check, I put the bad servo in again, in case I had inadvertenly solved the problem... the problem came back.

Fortunately I caught this during engine runup initially, because the problem would only manifest at certain RPM's.

This is the second servo I had that reacted in this way... both were Hitec's...

The first servo was a non-metal gear standard servo. I had it set up as a throttle control. Same problem. Same solution, another Hitec and the problem was gone.

These were not the only strange issues I've had with Hitec's.

Since everyone likes them so much I have to give Hitec the benefit of the doubt...

And once I changed out the bad Hitec's the replacements have worked just fine in all cases.

It could be that I've just have received a few bad ones and have been unlucky.