Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 What do they mean by a pattern plane? >

What do they mean by a pattern plane?

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

What do they mean by a pattern plane?

Old 10-17-2007, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do they mean by a pattern plane?

I just not sure what this is. Gene
Old 10-17-2007, 01:08 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: What do they mean by a pattern plane?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3766720/tm.htm

There is a pretty good thread in the Pattern forums about this very topic.

Pattern planes are designed for precision aerobatics and they are designed to track straight and true. Pattern flying is like figure skating or snow boarding in the sky with your RC plane. You fly a "pattern schedule" of manuevers that varies based on skill level, and at competitions you are judged by how smoothly and precisely you execute these routines. Pattern flying is a natural progression after a new pilot has flown sport planes and wants to learn more advanced aerobatics after getting some of the basic loops, rolls, and turns down.

You should check out the National Society of Radio Controlled Aerobatics website at http://www.nsrca.org

The NSRCA is an AMA Special Interest Group that oversees regulations for pattern competition at most U.S. pattern flying events. They put out their own newsletter and they help promote pattern flying.

Hopefully these answers will at least provide you with some sources from which you can learn more. Please feel free to post any additional questions you might have within this thread.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:21 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My "pattern" plane is the one I use to trace out parts to fix my other plane when I crash.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:52 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Big ED has pretty much summed it up. I will comment on the plane. A "pattern plane" is a plane that flies very neutral
(no bad habits) high wing loading and a fuse length that is the same or longer than the wingspan. Some sport planes
like the Tiger series from Goldberg, the Fourstar series from Sig and the Utra Sport models are very happy doing pattern
maneuvers. Modern pattern planes require a good power to weight ratios as all the schedules require the plane to be
able to pull a vertical upline.

A purpose built pattern plane is a plane that is designed specifically for pattern flight. They lock in well for
straight and level flight, rolls are axial, and they fly just as well inverted as they do normal. The design
of the plane gives it very little control coupling and makes it fly smooth and gentle. also a pattern plane
can usually fly slow without the tendency to tip stall. stalls on most modern pattern planes are like a
trainer.

Here are a few links to modern pattern airframes.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLHV1&P=0
http://www.centralhobbies.com/PatternKits/focus2.htm
Old 01-12-2008, 02:21 AM
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: khodges

My "pattern" plane is the one I use to trace out parts to fix my other plane when I crash.
Now that's funny
Old 01-12-2008, 04:03 AM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the planes you mentioned are somewhat similar to pattern planes, but they are just sport models. I can fly the patterns that I used to fly years ago with an Ugly/Big Stik, but that does not make it a pattern plane.

Pattern planes are specifically designed to fly a prescribed sequence of maneuvers, usually in competition, or when practicing for competition.

The practice of referring to any model with similar ratios and features as being a pattern plane has caused many neophyte competition flyers to spend their money only to find out that their sport model lacks the ability to be competitive in competition. It is time that this behavior stopped.

The Sig Kougar, Kobra series, GP Super Sportster, Ultra Sport, Four Star Anything and a multitude of others, are not pattern planes. This is not to say that they cannot compete, and sometimes win, in the lower classes. But no way should they be referred to as being true pattern planes.

The newby has enough to learn and he/she does not need to be confused further by folks with good intentions, but the wrong information.

Ed Cregger

Old 01-15-2008, 09:05 PM
My Feedback: (11)

I am truly sorry for offending you Mr Cregger. My intention was to Point out
that some SPORT PLANES like the tiger and 4 star series are happy doing the pattern
manuevers. I did not say that they were purpose built / competition pattern planes.

Now the 2 meter airframes that I fly at competitions are competition planes. they lock in well for
straight and level flight, rolls are axial, and they fly just as well inverted as they do normal. The design
of the plane gives it very little control coupling and makes it fly smooth and gentle. also a pattern plane
can usually fly slow without the tendency to tip stall. stalls on most modern pattern planes are like a
trainer Meaning that they fall forward. Also they have been designed with a large amount of fuselage side
area which will help them in knife edge flight.

I do have alot of respect for you and the time you have spent in this hobby, And I agree that we shouldn't
give people misleading info. In my neck of the woods and the competitions that I attend we reccomend that
the aspiring pattern pilots bring something they already have in the hangar to a competition, before running
out and purcahsing a pattern airframe and equipment costing well into the thousands of dollars. If I am asked
by a person who is totally new to pattern flying, I will continue in good concience to reccomend the sport planes
for your first season / seasons of pattern. When they have been to a few competitions they will have already
acquired the knowledge to know what the next step will be. I just don't want to see people turned away from
pattern flying based on the fact they can't afford a modern style pattern airframe.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:44 AM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: overbored77

I am truly sorry for offending you Mr Cregger. My intention was to Point out
that some SPORT PLANES like the tiger and 4 star series are happy doing the pattern
manuevers. I did not say that they were purpose built / competition pattern planes.

Now the 2 meter airframes that I fly at competitions are competition planes. they lock in well for
trainer Meaning that they fall forward. Also they have been designed with a large amount of fuselage side
area which will help them in knife edge flight.

I do have alot of respect for you and the time you have spent in this hobby, And I agree that we shouldn't
give people misleading info. In my neck of the woods and the competitions that I attend we reccomend that
the aspiring pattern pilots bring something they already have in the hangar to a competition, before running
out and purcahsing a pattern airframe and equipment costing well into the thousands of dollars. If I am asked
by a person who is totally new to pattern flying, I will continue in good concience to reccomend the sport planes
for your first season / seasons of pattern. When they have been to a few competitions they will have already
acquired the knowledge to know what the next step will be. I just don't want to see people turned away from
pattern flying based on the fact they can't afford a modern style pattern airframe.

-----------------

You haven't offended me in the slightest.

You and I have different perspectives, which is to be expected, because of the difference in our ages.

I happen to agree with you on encouraging newbies to fly what they have in the lower classes.

What I get flustered about probably happened when you were a child, or before. The misleading advertisements that proclaimed that anything that had the wing on the bottom was a true pattern plane - that's all. It has nothing to do with you.

Ed Cregger