Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 Super Skybolt vs Hog Bipe: Compare and Contrast >

Super Skybolt vs Hog Bipe: Compare and Contrast

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Super Skybolt vs Hog Bipe: Compare and Contrast

Old 10-26-2007, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Skybolt vs Hog Bipe: Compare and Contrast

Hello all...

Currently I own a Hog Bipe kit. Still in shrink rap. I'm not an accomplished enough pilot to fly it yet.

But a guy at my field has a Skybolt... And he likes it a lot.....

Another has a scale Pitts (No way am I ready for that beast!)

Anyway... I was thinking of getting the Skybolt and have a nice set of biplanes someday...

So my question to you...

Compare and contrast the flight and/or build characteristics of both planes. What are their strengths and weakness compared to one another.

For extra credit, discuss other biplane kits/arf in this context....

TIA...

Lyndon
Old 10-26-2007, 12:40 PM
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: Super Skybolt vs Hog Bipe: Compare and Contrast

The hog is a going to be an easier build and easier flyer. The kit doesnt have a cowl which is helpful to newer builders. Flies great on a economical 91 4 stroke aka Magnum 91.

The skybolt is about as cool looking as an RC plane gets and is more acrobatic. It probably benefits more from a more powerful engine like a Saito 125, etc.

If you are working up to a bipe the hog would probably be a good one and a good 3rd or 4th plane. Probably a good 2nd build.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:40 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another nice biplane kit is the Great Planes 40-size Ultimate Bipe. More aerobatic than the Sig Pig but still not bad for a third or fourth plane. Gringo Flyer has a good point about the Hog Bipe not having a cowl. Cowls are a hassle.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:17 PM

Anyone who loves bipes will have or has had a Sig Hog Bipe. Like yours mine is still in the wrapper. My first Bipe was the 40 size Ultimate from Airborne Models and I outfitted it with an OS .50sx. It was ballistic. I use the past tence not due to a crash but I traded it for a 1/4 scale Cap 232... who wouldn't? That guy wanted my bipe. Anyway my most recent purchace was a used Cermark Pitts S2B, 1/4 scale Can't wait to get it together and flying. There is a lot of hype on the difficulties of flying a bipe and I will tell you that most of it is just that... hype. The biggest difference is that a bipe has more frontal drag and slows down very fast so you must land them at near minimum air speed with power on... or it will eventually bite you. In the event of a dead stick... think, "Oh what a pretty brick". Most mono wing planes will let you chop the throttle and settle in for a landing. So take one of your sport planes and practice landing faster... "fly it all the way to the landing". once you are comfortable doing this you will be able to handle any of these bipes with the rates adjusted to your flying ability.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:29 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Not having flown a Sig Hog Bipe, I can't imagine an easier flying bipe than the Super Skybolt. Very aerobatic and forgiving. Easy build and includes a template for cutting the cowl to accomodate an OS 91FS.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:30 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Skybolt is a scale subject. That is all it takes for me.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:04 AM

The Hog Bipe is a good flying plane, but can be a friendlier first biplane by streching each wing panel by one bay. It adds about six inches to the span. A friend of mine did this to his and it made the landings easier without much loss in aerobatics.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:22 PM

streching wings is a favorite of mine.
current project is really streching the top wing of a hog bipe and reconfiguring the tail to resemble a jenny.
i just did the tail on my current hog bipe to resemble a curtiss hawk persuit plane. i streched my astrohog and w/ new tailfeathers, i kinda looks like a pre ww-II trainer.
both use a saito 91 w/ a 14 x 8 and @ 8500 ft (our field) it seems fine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89210.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	822991   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40000.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	822992  
Old 12-12-2007, 12:37 PM

ORIGINAL: skorman

Not having flown a Sig Hog Bipe, I can't imagine an easier flying bipe than the Super Skybolt. Very aerobatic and forgiving. Easy build and includes a template for cutting the cowl to accomodate an OS 91FS.
Same here...

It seems like landings are trivially easy to grease in with the Skybolt.

I am constantly getting compliments on mine, and people seem to react as if I had constructed a great kit... ( which I didn't ) especially after they see it fly.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:53 PM

ORIGINAL: vmsguy

Hello all...

Currently I own a Hog Bipe kit. Still in shrink rap. I'm not an accomplished enough pilot to fly it yet.

For extra credit, discuss other biplane kits/arf in this context....

TIA...

Lyndon
I go for the "other biplanes" extra credit. Just get yourself a Curtiss Hawk ARF from Great Planes, with a small Brillelli Gasser, and have a blast. Very, very easy to fly, fast to put together (it's an ARF where all parts fit together perfectly), and right now the price is very attractive. If you can fly a 4 channel trainer, you can fly this big puppy...

My 2 cents. Good luck!

Gerry

Name:	Db85561.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	824134   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71427.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	824135  
Old 12-12-2007, 01:04 PM

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

I go for the "other biplanes" extra credit. Just get yourself a Curtiss Hawk ARF from Great Planes, with a small Brillelli Gasser, and have a blast. Very, very easy to fly, fast to put together (it's an ARF where all parts fit together perfectly), and right now the price is very attractive. If you can fly a 4 channel trainer, you can fly this big puppy...

My 2 cents. Good luck!

Gerry
I saw an electric version of this plane not too long ago....

I was impressed with how good it looked and how quiet it was for such a large biplane.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:29 PM

I have the Sig Skybolt which I have flown with a Saito 80 and Saito 91. I also have a Sig Hog Bipe with a Saito 100. Both planes are great flyers. The Hog Bipe is easier to fly. Build the Hog Bipe with Dual Aileron servos in the wing and move the gear forward. I think the Hog Bipe section on www.fubarhill.com should be required reading.

Build the Hog Bipe, you will love it. A club member extended his top wing one bay on each end to make his Hog Bipe IMAA legal and flies it at all the Big Bird Fly-Ins. His has a Saito 120 in it. I recommend the Saito 100 (1st choice) or Saito 91 (2nd choice).

Stan
Old 12-31-2007, 11:02 PM

Just finished mine snoopy loves it can't post pictures for some reason.[:@]
Old 04-22-2008, 12:25 AM

Have both planes in my hanger and love to fly them bothnothing difficult to flying a bipe. Both are what I would call "gentle" fliersthe Skybolt will do more and do it easier. I tend to fly both to the ground in landing really pretty wheel landings.

Name:	Lj22750.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	934431  
Old 11-29-2009, 06:05 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Does anybody know if anyone else produced the super skybolt or did the GP version have a plastic mold for the top half of the fuselage?  I just picked up one from a guy in my club and it has the plastic mold.  Its all cracked up and was wondering because i thought i might be able to get the plans somewhere.

Thanks a bunch

John</p>
Old 11-30-2009, 02:21 AM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: sautterjw

Does anybody know if anyone else produced the super skybolt or did the GP version have a plastic mold for the top half of the fuselage? I just picked up one from a guy in my club and it has the plastic mold. Its all cracked up and was wondering because i thought i might be able to get the plans somewhere.

Thanks a bunch

John</p>

You have a Sig Skybolt. GP did not use the plastic turtle deck, Sig did. I do not have any plans, but it would not be difficult to scratch one out.

Brian
Old 11-30-2009, 09:17 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Awesome Brian!

Thanks so much! I can now start some research!
-John