Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 Prop size question for my tango arf... >

Prop size question for my tango arf...

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Prop size question for my tango arf...

Old 11-03-2007, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop size question for my tango arf...

good evening,

a few of the guys at the shop are telling me to use a smaller (9x6) for slow climbs and hovering, that i'll have more thrust and less speed. this is perfect for what i want to do. i'm asking is the ideal size of prop or what do you suggest, one that better suits my needs, also which brand of prop.? engine is a .46nt.
thanks in adv.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:23 AM

Default RE: Prop size question for my tango arf...

If I was to buy a Tango and put a .46 on it, my prop choice would be either an APC 12x4 or APC 12.25x3.75. I would definately try both (and maybe others) before I made a final decision...but I doubt that a 9x6 would make my list of props to try for this type of plane.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:07 AM

First off i will say i run a 12.25x3.75 APC prop on my Thunder Tiger Pro .46 mounted on a twist 40, now based on my HP/Thrust Calculator if your tango weighs 5lbs you will need to turn that 9x6 at 16000RPM to get 5.04lbs of thrust and that would be a pitch speed of 90.91 MPH, i don't know if you would even get 16000 RPM out of your .46nt which means no hovering, and i agree on slow climbs. Now with a 12x4 prop you will need only 9000 RPM to get the same 5.04lbs of thrust and that gives you a pitch speed of 34.09 MPH, i definetly think your .46nt will spin that prop around 11000-12000RPM so i would say 12x4 or 12.25x3.75 APC props. Save the 9x6 for a .25 engine.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:53 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 9X6 is way too small...you want a shallower pitch so you don't get too much forward speed. You can get into flutter with those types of aircraft very quickly if it gets going too fast, which for that airplane isn't very fast.
The 12 or 12.25 " dia. will give you a large disc area and the shallower pitch will keep from loading the engine down too much.

For that type of engine in that airframe, in order to get the type of performance you describe you'd want the 2 props the guys above have listed...
I prefer the 12X4 APC because it gives almost the same pull as the 12.25X3.75 but with quicker throttle response.

The 12.25X3.75 will pull like a tractor...the 12X4 has thinner and narrower blades so it will let the engine develop more power at a higher r.p.m. but either one will give you a short take off roll and virtually unlimited vertical. (once the engine is broken in fully )

If you want even more...get a Tower .46 muffler and run 15% nitro with the 12X4 and you'll get close to 14,000 r.p.m. and it'll climb vertical like a rocket.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JDV500

good evening,

a few of the guys at the shop are telling me to use a smaller (9x6) for slow climbs and hovering, that i'll have more thrust and less speed. this is perfect for what i want to do. i'm asking is the ideal size of prop or what do you suggest, one that better suits my needs, also which brand of prop.? engine is a .46nt.
thanks in adv.
No offence but a few of the guys at the shop do not know what they are talking about. The above prop choices are best suted for 3D performance while what was sudjested to you would likely cause your engine to meltdown by over revving. A 9x6 is what I would put on a .25 LA in a trainer.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:03 PM

thanks guys,

i knew to go to a shallower pitch but was'nt sure on the diameter, the shop guy seemed to be fixed on the smaller props. i'm currently using a wooden 11x4 on it as a trail run this weekend. the plane ran great, pulled itself vertical with authority and still was responsive to throttle inputs.
i'll grab some 12" props and test with those, but am getting close on ground clearance during take-off.
i appreciate the help..
Old 11-04-2007, 07:11 PM

12.25X3.75 is what you need.