Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 need a 4-stroke for telemaster >

need a 4-stroke for telemaster

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

need a 4-stroke for telemaster

Old 11-05-2007, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a 4-stroke for telemaster

what size saito would i need for a senior telemaster
Old 11-05-2007, 11:56 PM

Default RE: need a 4-stroke for telemaster

Old 11-06-2007, 07:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The senior telemaster calls for a 40 -- 60 size engine ( 2 stroke ) so a 56 through a 90 4 stroke will work. I think a 90 would be my choice. I wouldn't bet it would hold up under a 120. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 11-10-2007, 09:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello; We have 3 senior telemasters at our field, one has a saiot 91, one a Saito 80 and one has an old K and B 65. The one with the Saito 91 is used for hauling gliders up. All three are adequately powered, but the 91 is the most fun.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:39 AM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I flew a friend's kit built Senior Telemaster that was powered by an HB .61 PDP engine. It was powered to perfection and would take off in a few feet with the least bit of wind blowing. Most flying was done (no payload) with the engine ticking over just above idle speed. Art's Shindell's (now deceased) building style was not heavy, nor was it the lightest, so I feel his kit built model was typical.

A Saito .82, .91, 1.00 or even a 1.25 would suit the model, but if you aren't planing on towing or hauling payloads, the .82 or .91 would be more than adequate. In fact, a Saito .72 or OS/Magnum .70 would provide adequate power for just the stock airframe. I'd prefer at least a .91 four-stroke because I have been known to haul cameras and stuff aloft just for kicks. But with a large enough takeoff area, I'm sure that the smaller engines mentioned previously would haul most payloads aloft just fine.

I have been toying with the idea of using three .30 four-strokes. That would be neat, in my book.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-11-2007, 06:10 PM

A friend of mine bought a Senior Telemaster 8 foot wing span. We have a OS 90 4-stroke for it. We sat the motor on the mounting blocks and looked at fuel tank position. With the fuel tank raised as high as we can get it,the carb center line is still above the top of the tank. With the tank so low, Will we need to run a pump to eliminate a lean condition?
Old 11-11-2007, 06:22 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, most four-strokes have plenty of fuel draw. Just keep the fuel tank fairly close to the firewall and you'll be fine.

If you are concerned, the Perry VP-20 oscillating pump does a fine job and is usually plug'n'play.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-11-2007, 08:58 PM
My Feedback: (27)

A friend has an ARF version which I maidened with an OS 70 Surpass.slight breeze and a 4 ft rollout.......who needs more? It's a kite and more power is not necessarily spped, etc..
Bruce