Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 Modeltech p-51 OS 55ax >

Modeltech p-51 OS 55ax

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Modeltech p-51 OS 55ax

Old 11-11-2007, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modeltech p-51 OS 55ax

I have eben flying a modeltech p-51 all summer and it took a while to finally get the CG right. The destruction for this says the plane is 5.8 to 6.2 pound for a 46 plane. Thinking on it it was heavy so i purchased the os 55ax thinking that should be plenty. The plane came out at 6 pounds 12 ounces. Way heavy for a 46. The os pulls it nicely with no problems on a 12*7 apc at 12k. The new instructions that are now with the plane and the box say 6.75-7.75 pounds they must have figured out they were wrong. CG is still the same 4.5 back from LE. The wing area is 612 square inches and 57 inches long, Fuse is 51 inches. Can someone help me out with the proper CG for this at the weight above of 6 pounds 12 ounces. When it was balanced at the Suggested point the plane did nothing but climb into the forbidden skys.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:31 PM

Default RE: Modeltech p-51 OS 55ax

G'day Mate,
The weight of the plane has nothing to do with where the CG will be, that is determined by the wing.
Climbing has nothing to do with CG position, that is determined by the amount of elevator trim, & or the amount of up or down thrust on the engine.
So, adjust your elevator trim for straight & level flight, at whatever cruising speed you want.
Then check your balance point, by rolling inverted & noting how much DOWN elevator is required to hold inverted, if you need lots of down elevator, to hold straight & level inverted, you can move your balance point back until only a small amount of elevator is required to hold inverted.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:36 PM

Default RE: Modeltech p-51 OS 55ax

The F22 PTS weighs 8 pounds . That has nothing to do with the CG. More weight means you have to be going faster to take off and land. The heavier the plane is, the easier it will tip stall at slower speeds. Make sure your ailerons are in the neutral position and trim the elevator. Sometimes the fuse doesn't saddle the wing just right and creates wing incidence. I've found that with some ARFs, I have to shim the front or the rear of the saddle to get the wing just right.