Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 Do you think mode 1 or mode 2 is better? >

Do you think mode 1 or mode 2 is better?

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Do you think mode 1 or mode 2 is better?

Old 11-16-2007, 06:50 PM
My Feedback: (45)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you think mode 1 or mode 2 is better?

When I was little my grandfather thought me how to fly with mode two; now having said that he also never flew with ailerons.
When I was in my teens my father got out of the Navy and started to teach me Mode 1, which he calls the superior mode.
Now, years later getting back into RC, I have had to teach myself how to fly because everyone at my club fly mode 2. I like mode one but I ordered a radio the other day that came mode 2 and I had to switch it over to mode 1. Now this was not hard but the electronics in it are still mode 2 so using a buddy cord to teach my wife will not work. I called Hitec and they told me I would have to send it in.
I am thinking about flying both mode 1 and mode 2 but I would like some input on which mode everyone thinks is the so-called superior mode.
I have heard that most competition flyers fly Mode 1. Is this true?

Coop
Old 11-16-2007, 07:23 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Do you think mode 1 or mode 2 is better?

Responding to your topic, I'll bet the bulk of the responses will be from Mode 1 flyers.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 11-16-2007, 07:27 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I have flown both and I don't think one is easier or better than the other. I would switch to whatever the majority of fliers at your club are using. It just makes it easier if you want to train someone or have a buddy try your plane.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:43 PM

I personally don't think it matters much. It's a case of personal preference.
I am a Mode one flyer (Just thought I'd add that - Scar) now but when I first got into RC as a teenager, I didn't know much and set my planes up as what is now known as Mode 3 (I think) - Throttle and rudder on the right, Elevator and Ailerons on the left because that was the closest to a full sized aircraft (of which I had operated the controls of quite a few due to my father owning them). When I came back to RC with my sons a few years ago, the common mode in the clubs near us in West Australia was Mode 1 so they learnt mode 1 and I re-learnt. We now fly Fixed wing and helicopters on Mode 1.

I have flown RC in quite a few different countries and I think that the spread would have to be close to 50:50 worldwide. I experienced a few issues when in the US because everybody I met (without exception) was a Mode 2 flyer so there was nobody that could fly my planes for me if I had any issues I occassionaly get shaking in my hands (due to a spinal injury from a full sizedplane crash a few years ago)and it is convenient to be able to hand over the radio to someone if it sets in at the wrong time. For that reason alone, I would say - go for the common mode that is used near to you. It's probably not worthwhile trying to train your thumbs to remember 2 different modes.

Most radios will buddy box between mode 1 and mode 2 provided the radios are programmed to that mode.

I wonder what the likes of Mssrs Hyde and Somenzini use.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:35 AM
My Feedback: (1)

I use Mode 1.
Not for superior but my preference and because that I am accustomed to it.
On mode 1, my thinking is that I can easily input aileron and elevator signal
independently. I supose it difficult for me to do so on mode 2.
I think the mode you like is superior.

Tsutomu Mabuchi
Old 11-17-2007, 05:41 AM

there is no better way..there is no mode that allows a better independent input to one control over another..it is pruely an individuals choice.....now with that said..there is a superior choice..use the mode that is most widely used around you...that way if you get into trouble..say something in your eyes or a bee sting you can yell for help and the pilot that comes to your aid can fly and even land for you...I've never seen anything used but Mode 2..
Old 11-19-2007, 03:19 PM

ORIGINAL: coopster88
I am thinking about flying both mode 1 and mode 2 but I would like some input on which mode everyone thinks is the so-called superior mode.
It is 100% personal preference.

<<EdIT>> Mode 3 is far superior to any other mode <<EDIT>>

ORIGINAL: coopster88
I have heard that most competition flyers fly Mode 1. Is this true?
The handful of people I know who fly pattern or IMAC use mode 2.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I know a couple top pattern pilots (good enough to travel to Europe to compete for the U.S.) that fly mode 1 (AND mode 2 at other times).

I learned mode 2 and see no reason to switch now.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "best" way is the way that works best for you.

I fly my own planes on mode 1 because that is how I was taught.

I learned mode 2 as a necessity in helping other people with instruction and test flights.

And in fact I do have better separation of the pitch and roll controls in mode 1, that allow me much finer control with no cross inputs between pitch and roll. This really shows in the landing configuration where I can set my pitch angle and adjust it as needed while I keep the wings level with no interaction at all between elevator and ailerons.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:51 AM

If you are now flying Mode 1 give Mode 2 a few test flights. I believe you will be back to Mode 1 very quickly. The fact that the ailerons and elevator are on seperate sticks means no interaction between the two. This allows much smoother turns. I know flyers that started flying pylon and changed from Mode 2 to Mode 1 to get the smoother and easier turns around the pylon. Simply roll with one stick and pull elevator with the other. No interaction. I've also had beginners who were having trouble learning to fly on Mode 2 change to Mode 1 and solo in 2 or 3 flights.
I normally do not discuss Mode 1 / Mode 2 with other flyers. I let my flying and my students flying do the talking.
I do not care if the other local flyers are flying my mode or not. In many, many years of flying RC I have never needed to have another flyer take over a plane I am flying. I would rather be a smooth and good flyer than fly a certain mode because others are flying it. I fly Mode 1 because I believe it is much better.
Ralph White, Neoga, IL
Old 11-20-2007, 03:55 AM
My Feedback: (22)

I think my brain is wired for mode 2.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:40 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

I was once told by a pretty good pattern pilot and witness of pattern legend, Hanno Prettner that when he (Hanno) performed a rolling circle, the right hand held the stick over to one side while the left hand moved the stick in a circular motion -- like stirring coffee. It seems that mastering the rolling circle or other maneuvers with precision and finesse would be somewhat easier flying mode 1. But reprogramming the brain (at least mine) is rather intimidating. Makes me wish I had learned to fly mode 1 sometimes...
Old 11-21-2007, 09:26 PM

Hi All,

I appreciate the input. You have all helped me with my diction. I have decided to fly mode one as my primary mode of flight. It has always been easier to fly with than mode two was for me. I commend everyone who flies mode 2, you have to work very hard in the beginning but after it’s learned it becomes like anything else in life it seems.

Some of the gentlemen at my club were concerned that I was teaching people mode 1 when most of the people at the field fly mode 2. I have since discovered that I can teach them mode 2 while I am up mode one when you have a buddy cord as long as each radio is up the proper mode that it’s being used for. When I was using a radio as mode one when it was set up for mode two it would not work. No I can fly mode one like a like and teach everyone mode 2. The only problem is that people seem to like mode one more than mode 2, go figure.

Please keep the comments coming.

Coop
Old 11-22-2007, 09:03 AM

Here's something I just found that might be of interest: http://rcsource.hobbypeople.net/faqs/radmode.htm
Old 11-22-2007, 09:56 AM

I strongly dissagree with the statement in that Hobbypeople FAQ answer that states: "Mode 2 is easier to learn on". I have helped many beginners learn to fly both mode 1 and mode 2. The beginners learning mode 1 always (without exception) have learned and soloed much faster than mode 2 beginners. I did all my training of beginners without the aid of computer flight simulators or buddy boxes. I will normally have a beginner soloing in 3 to 4 flights (sometimes less).
Ralph White, Neoga, IL
Old 11-22-2007, 08:26 PM

I agree; I think mode 1 is better even though I fly mode 2. Has anyone here ever tried mode 4 (same as mode 2 but aileron swaps places with rudder?) and do you derive the same benefits as a mode 1 flyer if you are right-handed?
Old 11-22-2007, 10:32 PM

I know that Ivan Christianson from Canada flies what you are calling mode 4 although he calls it mode 3. He has ailerons and throttle on the left stick and elevator and rudder on the right stick. He was the Canadian National Pattern champion for several years in the late '70s and early 80's, maybe later than the '80s as I was not active after '84 until this year. His mode would have the same advantage of no unwanted interaction between the ailerons and elevator during turns and maneuvers. I don't believe it matters if you are right or left handed. Just a matter of which hand you want to use for ailerons. I'm right handed and feel more comfortable using the right hand for ailerons. My son is left handed and also flies mode 1. If you have been flying mode 2 with the ailerons and elevator on the right stick, and wanted to change, I believe you would be better off changing to mode 1 so the ailerons are where you are use to them. You use the ailerons a little more than you do the elevator in normal flying.
Ralph White
Old 11-22-2007, 10:47 PM

By the way. It is not difficult to change a mode 2 transmitter to mode 1. Simply change the ratchet and maybe the spring from the left stick to the right stick. Also change what channels the elevator, throddle are pluged into in the reciever. Tower Hobbies did it on my Futaba transmitter and they didn't change the electronics any. My son did it himself on his Futaba. It may change which switch does what but I don't think it does. Mine works just like the instruction manuel says. Maybe the buddy box stuff changes but I don't teach with a buddy box? I've seen more crashes with people using buddy boxes than when they just pass the transmitter between themselves.
Ralph White, Neoga, IL
Old 11-23-2007, 10:33 AM

Ralph,

You are right you can change mode 1 and mode 2 on a radio very easy. I have done it many times but it will not interface with the bubby cord unless it's up the mode it was programmed for. I have seen accidents and have experienced accidents both ways but there is no doubt it’s easier for the instructor-pilot to take over the aircraft with a buddy box. Now that being said, you can let the student get into more trouble than you can get out of sometimes. Maybe that is why you have seen more accidents with the cord than without.

Coop

Remember it’s not the fall that totals the plane it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:00 PM

Coop, Yes I think most crashes occuring when an instuctor is training a beginner is a result of letting the student get into to much trouble before taking over the controls, be it buddy box or transfer of the transmitter. The instructor should take over once the student has made one, or maybe two serious errors. By the time the student makes the 3rd error it is propabably to late.
Ralph White, Neoga, IL
Old 11-27-2007, 05:39 AM

As a Mode 1 flyer I have to point out that it is a big dissadvantage if you plan on playing most video games with a flying theme as they often cannot be easily convert to mode 1 style, so you risk Dumb Thumbs either in the game or, more expensive, at the field
Old 11-27-2007, 08:11 AM

Greedy,

I have already experienced that playing a few of my X-Box games. I now fly both but it feels unnatural to fly mode 2. I can fly just fine but I have to tie my left hand behind my back so I guess you can say I can fly mode 1 with one hand tied behind my back. LOL. I will say that it’s like speaking a different language to me. Mode one is my primary language but I can speak enough mode 2 to order a beer or land if I need too if you catch my drift.

Coop
Old 11-27-2007, 08:41 AM

If you are a full scale pilot (not rc), you would have to think mode 2 is more natural. It is logical to have your ailerons and elevator on the same stick just as it is in a real aircraft. A real aircraft is mode 2. It would be extremely difficult to jump out of a full size aircraft you were just piloting and then run over to the rc field and fly your model in mode 1.

If video games and rc flying is all you do, then preferring mode 1 over mode 2 is a product of which way you originally learned and have become comfortable.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:07 AM

150flyer,

Well, I would say you were correct but the original way I learned to fly was mode 2.

I have flown many hours in my dads Cessna. I also fly Chinook helicopters as an instructor Pilot for the Army and the cyclic works much the same as an airplane. Now, I have always wished that I could separate left/right and forward/aft controls in different hands but in real aviation it’s just not possible but in RC it is. Your augment is a valid one and I think that is why I can fly mode 2 but in my mind I think mode 1 gives me less unwanted inputs.

This has been my dilemma.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:14 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I learned on and still fly Mode 2. Is easy for me when I have to explain to beginnerswhat stick does what. Also, since mode 2 is pretty much the way the student's radio come in - I don't have to worry about the buddy box and the master being different. Since I'm not a competition flyer on the circuit, I'm comfortable in my flying. Expo is great to help out the smoothness. As far as video games, I still have trouble with everything on the left stick, but my boy loves to be able to kick my butt due to my limitations!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.