Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 Advise for someone new to sport >

Advise for someone new to sport

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Advise for someone new to sport

Old 11-21-2007, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise for someone new to sport

I have flown sailplanes for many years, but have never flown an aileron ship. I am looking for something that will be easy to learn on, but will still offer some performance once I gain more experience. I am not looking for “competition” performance, just something that will be fun to fly. I also want to go electric.

I was looking at the E-flite Mini Pulse XT PNP. What I have read about it sounds like what I am looking for. But between the cost of the kit, radio, battery and charger I am looking at a $500 investment. Can anyone offer a cheaper alternative? Can this be done for around $300?

I have a radio system from my E-flite Blade CX2 helicopter (Spektrum LP5DSM). The radio is 5 channels, but the receiver is set up for helicopters. Does anyone know if I can use this transmitter and just get another receiver for the aircraft? That might be cheaper than buying a complete radio system, especially since the servos come with the plane.

I would like to have a sport plane to fly that’s easy to learn on but not boring to fly, but it’s hard to justify a $500 price tag. Any information and ideas would be appreciated.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:36 PM

Default RE: Advise for someone new to sport

Electric = $$$
Brushless motors, ESCs and LiPO batteries aren't cheap. I would suggest a .46 size engine and a 4* to learn on. A phoenix Scanner or a Sig Hog would also make good learing planes, and should come close to your $300 spending goal / limit (presuming you buy an engine, receiver, ARF and a couple servos new). Some things like the engine or the ARF you could find on E-Bay, or look here on RCU. There might be something close enough you could go pick up at a decent price.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:30 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Take a really good look at the new T-28 Trojan RTF from Parkzone. It includes 4-channel 72Mhz radio system and brushless power system with LiPo battery and charger. Suggested retail is $219.99 but my local hobby store has them in stock for $189.99.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:59 AM

maybe a H9 mini pulse xt pnp .....its a great little plane
Old 11-22-2007, 01:11 PM
My Feedback: (22)

Ailerons ware nothing to worry about. Escpecially if you have a friend that can help you dial the plane in. I have a friend that is 71 years, and can barely see now. Way past his prime, he loves to buy hot ships. Then its up to me to test them and adjust the throws of the controls until the plane is a harmless kitty cat. It can be done with just about any plane. Then later , when you are feeling a bit more adventurous, you can increase the throws.

I was considering that T28 model myself. I have the larger Pica T28 and I love it. But I want something to fly nearer the house and maybe at work on my breaks. I asked some of the "electric guys" at the field about the little Parkzone T28. This is their answer. The plane and motor are fine. But many of those ultra cheap radios that come in the package have serious issues. Namely, the servos tend to not recenter after a control input has been made. Roll right, and the plane continues to roll right, even after you have released the input. That is very annoying . And for someone with less experience, it can be more than just annoying. IT can lead to becoming disoreinted. Am I doing that ? Or is the plane ? That can really hurt a newbie. My friends recommend buying the Parkzone T28 with the motor, but without the radio. Then install a better radio. And it sounds as if you may already have one.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:54 PM

The T-28 looks like a good way to go, but now I don't know what to do about this radio issue. I still don't know if the radio from my helicopter is usable. If I purchase the PNP version of the T-28, I'm looking at $160 for the kit, $70 for a battery, $90 for a charger, plus the cost of a radio system, which I'm guessing is another couple of hundred or more. How much would I have to spend to get a decent radio system (nothing fancy, just a basic 4 channel system)?

Does anyone have any experience with the ZX10 FM radio system that comes with the T-28?