Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 Secret to a clean knife edge >

Secret to a clean knife edge

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Secret to a clean knife edge

Old 11-21-2007, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Secret to a clean knife edge

I can't seem to get my Ultimate to do a nice clean knife edge. It's the Seagull version, 54" wingspan. I can hover and harrier just fine. As a matter of fact, I can walk it around the yard on the tail wheel. I have a Ftuaba 3050 pull pull setup on the rudder. I can do a flat spin with no problem, but when it comes to a knife edge, the tail wants to drop no matter how much rudder I give it. I'm running an ASP 1.08 with a 16X4W prop. I even changed to a 15X4W and had the same results. I even thought maybe I didn't have enough speed, so I tried a 15X6 and 16X5 with no better results. I know it can be done, I've seen videos of Quique doing it.
Any suggestions?
Old 11-21-2007, 08:55 PM

Default RE: Secret to a clean knife edge

Oops ... let me clarify. The whole plane drops. As I give it more rudder to keep it from falling, I find myself in a HAKE before the plane stops falling. That's better. It's almost like I'm not getting enough speed, but a 15X6 @11,600 RPMs ought to produce enough speed for a 10 pound airplane.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:10 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

That sound strange to me. I have one with a Saito 1.25. It does a great knife edge anything above half throttle. I am running a 15x8 prop but you should still have more speed than I am getting. Two things come to mind. Your plane could be heavier than mine. You could also have your CG more to the nose.

David
Old 11-21-2007, 10:59 PM

9 pounds 12 ounces and the CG is right under the rear bolt of the top wing. (right at 5 7/8"). Just enough to have to use just a smidge of down elevator to keep it level. The only other bipe I had that could do it was a Pitts S. My Tecate wouldn't and neither would my SPAD bipe. it's gotta be something I'm doing wrong. It will do a KE loop in a heartbeat, and I found out this afternoon that it will even fly sideways. I'll try a 14X8 in the morning, but I can hear the pitch of the engine with the 15X6 and it doesn't bog down when I roll into a HAKE. The 15X6 even at 11,200RPM should still be close to 60 MpH.
Let me make sure my dihedral struts are straight. I just thought about that. If they're not straight, it could have that effect.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:41 AM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe the rudder is experiencing blowback. What are you running for a rudder servo?
Old 11-22-2007, 07:20 PM

ORIGINAL: mrbigg

Maybe the rudder is experiencing blowback. What are you running for a rudder servo?
Futaba 3050
It will do a Knife Edge loop and HAKE but on a straight knife edge, the plane falls untill I get the tail low enough. Then if goes in to a High Alpha Knife Edge.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:35 AM

You got me on this one. I wish I could see it fly. I have flown 15-20 Ults over the years. I have never seen one do that. Normally a Ult will knife edge all day long.

David
Old 11-23-2007, 11:25 AM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need speed when doing a Knife-edge and a 4 inch pitch prop might not generate that. My Venus with a 13x7 prop does nice KEs. My UCANDO.46 with 14x4 will do KE with the wind, but pushing into the wind it will drop.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:45 PM

ORIGINAL: GarySS

You need speed when doing a Knife-edge and a 4 inch pitch prop might not generate that. My Venus with a 13x7 prop does nice KEs. My UCANDO.46 with 14x4 will do KE with the wind, but pushing into the wind it will drop.
15x6 @11,600 produces more than enough speed.
I found the problem and have rectified it. Both wing struts were seemed to be towed out a couple degrees. I had to elongate the holes in the "L" brackets that hold the aft side of them in place. I finally got them square with the fuse. I didn't realize they were that far out. I couldn't really tell by looking, I was just grabbing straws. I must have done something right. After I retrimmed everything, it does a KE about as straight as my ultrasport. I no longer have to fight harriers and flat spins either. I didn't think it would make that much of a difference. The rudder seems FAR more effective than before, it's almost like adding another 4 inches to it!
What can I say ... it's only mt second bipe ARF. I'll just add it to my "ARF assembly checklist"
Thanks for all the tips and comments. I guess I was correct thinking it must be something I was doing wrong. I never even thought to check that when I was putting it together.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:39 PM

I'm glad you found it. I guess I should check mine. They must be close but maybe there is more there. I did have trouble on mine getting the top center rib to line up straight. I guess I should have checked the struts to. I have been thinking about putting an airfoil on them like the Goldberg uses. This would be a good time to do both.

David