Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 Will a GP Big Stik 40 take a 60 size engine >

Will a GP Big Stik 40 take a 60 size engine

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Will a GP Big Stik 40 take a 60 size engine

Old 11-28-2007, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a GP Big Stik 40 take a 60 size engine

Hi,

Does anyone know if a Great Planes Big Stic 40 will take a .60 2 cycle? The ad says it will take up to a .51.

Has anyone tried it?

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller
Old 11-28-2007, 11:38 PM

Default RE: Will a GP Big Stik 40 take a 60 size engine

The largest engine GP refers to is the Super Tigre .51 which is about the same size and weight as a .46

A .61 will physically fit the engine mount that comes with the plane, but most of them weigh several ounces more than the recommended engines. If you can move the battery pack far enough back to balance the plane, without adding even more weight, it will probably fly ok with the big engine.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:40 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the input Carrell. I currently have one with a Saito 72 4 stroke, so the weight would probably be about the same as a 2 stroke 60 - so I don't think weight would be the problem.

I used to fly an old Jensen Ugly Stick with a 60 with beefed up wings and had no problems and they are about the same size.

I am concerned about whether the wings will fold on the GP Big Stick, however .51 is fairly close to a .60, but I don't want to try it until I know if anyone has already tried it.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller
Old 11-29-2007, 05:35 PM

I have a Big Stik but is the 60 size. I'm using a 91 four stroke on it and it's a great combination.

If the OS 55AX had existed when the Big Stik manuals and box art was created you can bet it would be on the recommended list. From what I've read the 55 gives a 61 some pretty strong competition.

I don't know anyone who runs a 61 on a Big Stik 40 but I do know someone running one on an Ultra Stick 40. The Ultra Stick does not seem as sturdy as the Big Stik and the Ultra Stick has withstood some pretty extreme flying. You could always strip some covering off of the wing center and add some fiberglass cloth. I guess I think the wing is probably plenty tough to handle it. Of course it is very easy for me to spend your money on an experiment.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did have a GP Big Stik .40 (kit built) that I powered with a Magnum GP.65 The plan was for it to be a float plane. The airframe held up with no problem but it didn't need all that extra power or the extra weight. I quickly changed to an OS .46 and it flew much better.

-Johnny-
Old 11-29-2007, 06:57 PM
My Feedback: (14)

I'm sure you could shoehorn it on there if that's what you have, but I won't recomend it. I've flown several GP Stiks, including the old shelf paper ARF and the old kit and the new Monokote ARF. The .40 sized planes fly very well on a decent .46, and the .60 would be both overkill and overweight. If you are looking for an unlimited aerobat or a pylon racer you're playing with the wrong airframe. That said, it's one of my all time favorite sport flyers with a .46. If you must overpower it, go with the OS .55 AX. I have one on a Mojo .40 and it is a phenominal engine. THE best idle I've ever heard and has enough torque to spin a 14x4.

Of course, if the .60 is what you have handy, just add a little tail weight and fly 'er. It'll handle the extra weight without diffuculty.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:59 PM
My Feedback: (133)

I flew one for several years with a Saito 91 on it. Held up fine until I was flying formation low and inverted and pulled up............

The GP Stik kits were extremely overbuilt. I have a 20 that I fly with a 40 SF - and it could use a little more power. Only problems I've ever had was with the stab to fuse joint. A bit of triangle stock and epoxy is recommended.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:52 AM
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Wayne Miller

I currently have one with a Saito 72 4 stroke, so the weight would probably be about the same as a 2 stroke 60 - so I don't think weight would be the problem.

Wayne Miller
The Saito .72 actually weighs less than most .46-size ball-bearing 2-stroke engines. A .60 2-stroke shouldn't be too much extra power for the Big Stik .40 to take as long as you can balance out the CG without adding a ton of tail weight. I fly a Tiger Stick .40 with a Magnum XLS .52A and it's smokin' fast. I would expect the Big Stik .40 to be just as quick with a .52 to .55 2-stroke, all of which are lighter weight than the .61-size engines.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:37 PM
My Feedback: (9)

I flew one for 5 years with a 61sf and it was a blast!!! It dose not need the power but you can always pull the throttle back. I also had a 60 size stick that we made a low wing tail dragger with a super tiger 91 on it and it is still flying today after 10 years. This is one of the best model airplanes ever built!!! PERIOD
Old 12-05-2007, 04:32 PM

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

A .60 2-stroke shouldn't be too much extra power for the Big Stik .40 to take as long as you can balance out the CG without adding a ton of tail weight.
You said it!

On my .60 big stick with a 2C .75 SuperTigre engine, with the battery at the TE of the wing, I still had to add over 6 oz of lead to the tail to balance out. Even then it flies nose heavy.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:01 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I was thinking that a Big Stick 40 with a Tower .75 would be a good combo. You would need to move the rudder and elevator servos to the rear and maybe the battery as well. They will take a 13" prop if you are careful during taxi, but a max of 12" is better.

We used to put 60s on the old Midwest Sweet Stick. Great plane.

I would take the dihedral out, or better yet, buy an Ultra Stick 40.