Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Byron Originals Pipe Dream

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Byron Originals Pipe Dream

Old 12-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Jburry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Byron Originals Pipe Dream

Hello folks,

I was recently given a Byron Originals Pipe Dream kit, complete with G38 engine, 7 channel Futaba computer radio from the late 80's (a computer radio with only one model setting....), and most of the bits and bobs required. I completed it last week with a dual bomb dropper, individual wing mounted aileron servos, and a few other minor improvements.

I've been looking around for any comments on the flying characteristics of this rather strange (some would say ugly) plane, but haven't found anything. I know there are a bunch of you out there that owned this model in the long-long ago, and I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

For what it's worth, the engine's running great on the bench, it's passed it's range checks running and not, and the all up weight is a hair under 15#. The day after I completed her, a foot of snow fell. Go figure.

So who out there has seen the Ugly Bird fly, and how did it do? What would you have changed?

J
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95304.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	820373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt59983.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	820374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68090.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	820375  
Old 12-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Jburry

Default RE: Byron Originals Pipe Dream

Some more photos of the Pipe dream. Engine testing on the patio and some close ups of the bomb drop mechanism.

There're 2 linkages for the bomb drop mech. The 2 straight link setup allows one bomb to be dropped at a time, using the channel 7 pot on the tranny. The Y linkage unlocks both bombs simultaneously. This is intended for use with a friend's rc drop glider. That's still in the works, but the mechanism is ready.

A FlyCamOne is also in the plans, but I'm not allowed to have that till Christmas

Name:	Yw67189.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	821377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55919.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	821378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36810.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	821379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58527.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	821380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eq87281.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	821381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iz37999.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	821382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hj87948.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	821383   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh27008.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	821384  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yx40767.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	821385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lx11853.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	821386  
Old 12-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Jburry

Really??? No-one's ever flown one of these? They were a pretty common kit in the late '80's.

Oh, well, I'll have to find out myself, if this damnable snow ever quits....

J
Old 12-12-2007, 11:26 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can barely remember this model. I think I am remembering it, anyway. <G>

You do nice work. Thanks for sharing the pics.

That wing resembles the Byron CAP 21 wing that I built in 1982.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-12-2007, 12:31 PM
Jburry

Thanks! I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out.

The wing core seems to be the same that Byron used in their Glassair and several other models of the same vintage. Felt strange building a foam wing without sheeting it. Just a couple 1/4" spruce spars, hinge gap cover and ultracote!

I think I made as pretty a plane as the kit would allow.

J
Old 12-12-2007, 06:47 PM
pcm
My Feedback: (13)

I cant remember when it was I built mine but it was many moons ago. I remember it flew good. Not a real floater I think due to lack of fuselage.

It maneuvered very well. I remember flying it on a very windy day and doing snaps. The bare foam did not hold up to well.

I think mine had a quadra 35 on it. You will enjoy it I am sure.

pcm
Old 12-13-2007, 07:40 AM
Jburry

I've built full length stip ailerons on mine. And put the ail. servos in the wings to avoid using the plug in byron aileron linkage. That seemed a little too goofy to my eyes, but I guess it was how they did it.

How do you mean that the bare foam didn't hold up too well? Simply that it's easily dented and dinged, or that it failed in flight? Just curious...

J
Old 12-13-2007, 10:43 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

I built one in 1987 for my at that time "boss" .... he owned a full scale Super Cub and wanted to learn to fly R/C.

He had flown controlliners in the 60's and liked Fox engines, so he bought the Eagle .60 that Byron recommended for it...(he didn't want to "splurge" I guess and get the bigger gas engine ) That was an Eagle Mk. 2 I think? It didn't like to stay running and the carb was hard to adjust, but when I could get it just right and keep it running, it would actually fly!

I had to let it have a llooonnnggg take-off run or it would want to snap on take off, but once airborne it flew well on that somewhat marginal power. I could get a loop out of it if I dived 'er a bit first.

I covered it with Solar Film...yellow with black trim.

With the G38 it should fly well I would think!?
Old 12-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Tee Bee

I wouldn't recommend dropping the Flycamone!
Old 12-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Jburry

I'll seek to avoid that....

The wife waited until the order arrived from Great Hobbies to inform me that I couldn't have my lil' camera yet... No bother really tho, as I think it'll be April before she flies, what with the weather and all...

Looking forward to putting the flycamone on my p51 too and seeing what 90mph snap inverted rolls look like from onboard. From the ground, looks like the pilot would be decapitated by gforces....

J
Old 03-25-2008, 06:31 AM
Jburry

Well, maiden is still weeks away (snow. cold. wind. rain.). And yet the Pipe Dream has found another purpose, not entirely unimagined.

A friend of mine built a self-designed high speed electric plane, should be pushing into the 100mph+ range. It's quite small, about 1.5# with a svelt 30" wingspan. Minimal drag means no wheels, so it's to be hand launched. And there's the rub. It's stall speed is better than 25mph, so that'll be tricky.

We've rigged up the Pipe Dream and it's bomb drop mechanism to work as our launch system. 500' will give alot more time to get the 'lecky all trimmed out before the ground rises up to smite it.

I added a tail fin bracket to constrain the plane's yaw tendencies, and adapted a high-tech shoe-lace to the bomb release. Used the Y linkage I'd built previously to achieve simultaneous release of both shoelaces. I set the electric to about -2 degrees incidence to aid in the release. Plan is take off, climb to altitude, slow to just above stall, and release the lecky for high speed passes galore!

Whaddya'all think? Is this gonna work? CG is good, the 'lecky moves it back about 1/4", and I've set it so it's at a safe forward position under all conditions. We'll maiden the PD first, then maiden the 'lecky via the pipe dream. I'll have the flycamone watching the lecky for it's maiden, should get some cool drop footage.

Hope you enjoy the pics!

Name:	Us55213.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	913002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13229.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	913003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82239.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	913004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga77577.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	913005   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs95378.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	913006  
Old 04-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Jburry

Well, first flight day finally arrived today!

Barry (who built the little electric above) called around 11 am to tell me the wind out his way (near the SJ Airport, in the woods) was pretty good. Here it was blowing a fair gale, probably 30kph or better, so I declined for the time being. By 1 or so the wind had dropped alot, so I called him back and we arranged to meet at the field. Loaded the Pipe Dream, and my old trainer into the car, along with all the support equipment. Looked pretty funny, the tail feathers of the pipe dream stick out of the trunk by better than a foot. It's color scheme means we don't need to flag it at least. We avoided highways to be certain that it wasn't damaged, but since the elevator and rudder didn't even move, I guess we'll be OK next time.

We showed up at about 2, the wife and kid laid out a blanket on the ground, strewn with toys, and I set up the planes. The wind was at less than "half sock" when we arrived, but as we waited for Barry, his wife and their baby to arrive, that picked up till it was about 3/4 sock. Probably 15kph or so, too much for my trainer, but not for the PD. Finally they showed up, at about 2:30 or so, and they ate lunch at the picknic table. Seemed to take'em forever.

Finally, I dragged Barry over to the planes. He had the little red electric with him that we will one day drop from the PD. We would test that by hand launch after the PD's flight.

I explained the ritual of choking and starting the PD's zenoah engine, then Barry stood over the PD, blocking it's forward movement by having the stabilizer up against the backs of his legs. This is pretty standard gasser hold-back technique, and it works well. I donned a padded leather work glove (I like my fingers), closed the PD's choke, turned on the transmitter and receiver, turned on the ignition, and began flipping the prop vigorously. I had fuelled up while waiting for people to arrive, in case you were waiting for that step. I'd also conducted radio range tests both at the field and at home previously. Well, after a half dozen choking flips, the zenoah coughed, so I opened the choke, and it fired on the next flip. A few seconds later, it quit, air bubble in the fuel line. Choked again for 4 flips or so, then open choke, 3 flips and it roared to life. With Barry holding the plane back, I goosed the throttle some, and we warmed the big engine up. I adjusted the idle trim for a nice flight idle, started the onboard video camera, and we declared ourselves ready.

The PD taxied onto the runway, and I verified the control directions and function as it moved towards the end of the runway. Taxi required only a click or 2 of throttle to move nicely, and ground handling was predictable, typical tail-dragger. When I had made enough runway available, I turned the big orange plane into the wind. One last check of elevator, rudder and ailerons. All good. Gut check. Quivery but ready. Wind's straight down the runway. 3/4 sock. It's time.

I slowly advance the throttle, and the PD begins to roll. A bit of right rudder and some down elevator as she starts to roll, like any tail dragger on the ground. Speed and throttle build, and I release the elevator to neutral. The tail begins to fly. Full throttle now, ground is being eaten up at a fair clip. I touch the up elevator, and the mains break ground. We're flying!

Needs some down elevator trim, and she's rolling left slowly, so I keep her level and control the climb-out, reducing throttle at about 100', and begin my first circuit of the pattern. Once I've achieved enough altitude, I put in about half the available down elevator trim and a couple clicks of aileron. She's flying straight and level now, or close enough in the gusty skys. At part throttle, the zenoah is making a beautiful 4-stroke sound, breaking to a clean 2 stroke occasionally, or whenever I add power. All the controls are responsiv
Old 08-04-2008, 08:01 PM
kenmore 400

I have two Pipe Dreams. They fly great for me one has a Quadra 35 and the other a OS 1,08 My question is I need pods for them Where do i get them?
Old 09-05-2008, 09:20 AM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Wow, I haven't heard of this plane in ages. I remember the ads for them in the back of Model Airplane News. Looks like a spinoff of the whole Duraplane craze that went on back then. Cool plane, got some video on the "tube" yet?
Old 09-05-2008, 02:30 PM
kenmore 400

Do not have any video of any of my Pipe Dreams. Will take some but I do not know how to "send" them through the email. I have found the pods through Iron Mountain, but the price is kinda high.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:19 PM
kenmore 400

I wish to correct the place of Iron Mountain. It should read Iron Bay
Old 10-30-2009, 02:39 PM
kenmore 400

iRON BAY MAY BE OUT OF BUSINESS.

WHO IF ANY BODY WOULD MAKE THE PODS FOR THE PIPE DREAM?
IRON BYA ANS, BUT COULD NOTGET A RESPONES FOR AN ORDER
Old 05-05-2010, 03:05 AM
phildo2008
My Feedback: (25)

Hi, the pipe deam is my all time favoret,I learned to fly on one . It was a 3 chanel set up with lots of dihedral makeing the rudder very efective. The plane could do rolls like it hadailerons ,this was back in 1987. I had a mid-air with another big boy and it was totaled. It was lite with only 3 chanels and a Super Tiger 2500 for power along with a Lewis machine gun and the same piolet that I am still useing today in yet another pipe Dream, this is a 5 chanel (flaps). I would like to find a pipe dream kit and build another 3 chanel version with a 45cc spark gaser in the nose. Pipe dream is a fun airplane if you like to fly "Big Boys" and not into scale or pretty planes.

P. D.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:27 AM
lylec

Would you sell one of the pipe dreams ?
Lyle C. 712-490-9985
[email protected]
Old 12-27-2010, 05:18 PM
Duayne P
My Feedback: (15)

I have owned 2-3 PD's. They were my first intro to gas back in 1984 or 5. I love them. I am always looking for a new one to build. I would love to have another one. If anyone has a nib kit pleae email me. [email protected] This plane will give you many years of enjoyment. Ive used mine for towing gliders and puggybacking other planes. Very versitile plane. I had a Q35 in my first then a Q42. For the most part UGLY planes usually fly the best, look at the Ultrasticks and ugly sticks.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:37 AM
bugdude

jburry,

I realize this is an old post, but I hope you or someone else on the forum can help me out. I'm in the process of finishing up an old pipe dream powered by a G38 also. The kit I acquired was NIB but didn't have any instructions included. Hope you still have your pipe dream. Can you tell me how many inches from the leading edge where your CG is?

Thanks,
Henry
Old 04-17-2012, 10:20 AM
donnspadbauer
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone have a manual for the pipe dream? I just picked one up from the widow of a flyer and got just the airframe.

Thank you in advance,

Donn Bauer
Old 12-15-2013, 06:15 AM
lomcevoc
My Feedback: (36)

Henry
Do you still have your Pipe Dream? Did you find the info you had posted?
I have a NIB PD (not for sale) that I may have the info you needed.

Gregg [email protected]
Old 12-15-2013, 12:40 PM
phildo2008
My Feedback: (25)

Hi Philip Barr Here, I think I got an email about the C.G. on the Pipe Dream. I believe it was 1/4 to 1/2 inches behind the spa or you can try 1/3rd the width of the core. You should go nose heavy and work you way back. My remaining P.D. is electric 160 Monster Motor with 160 esc lots of power but
does not sound cool,going back to gas.

Pipe Dreams Rule

Phil
Old 12-15-2013, 04:12 PM
lomcevoc
My Feedback: (36)

How bout posting some pics of the classic Bird.
Glad to hear your going back to gas, what gas motor are you planning on?

Gregg

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.