Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 2007 RC Plane Completion Pics >

2007 RC Plane Completion Pics

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

2007 RC Plane Completion Pics

Old 12-08-2007, 09:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2007 RC Plane Completion Pics

This was a good modeling year for me. In January, I built a Guillow's DR1 Triplane for static display and enjoyed it so much that I decided to try a RC plane. I bought a Sig Kadet Senior kit in February after a friend recommended it and during the next 3 months, I spent long hours in the garage building it. After completing it, I taught myself to fly with it in May! I'm a licensed pilot, have played with RC cars off and on for years, and spent some time beforehand on the Realflight PC simulator so it all seemed to come together pretty well. Next, I started a Four Star 60 kit and after reading lots of threads here at RCU about them, I decided to enlarge the rudder and clip the wings. I completed it's maiden flight last weekend after 7 months of on and off construction. Along the way, I got interested in Cox airplane engines and began spending time in the 1/2A forum. That led to a nice little collection of new and used Cox engines and parts. I scratchbuilt a LA Stick from plans I got from a RCU member and bolted a tiny Cox .010 up front that I bought on that big auction site and it's a blast to fly. I also scratchbuilt 2 Pong Two models using a set of plans available from Flying Models magazine. One of them has a Black Widow .049 and the other a Medallion .09 up front. As of this morning, all five of these planes have been flown successfully. I'm hooked on the building process now and also the thrill of watching something I made take to the sky and fly under it's own power. Thanks to all the RCU members who gave me advice and helped make all these projects successful.

Let's see pics of RC planes you built and flew in 2007.

Pictured: Sig Four Star 60(clipped-wings and enlarged rudder), Sig Kadet Senior(converted to taildragger), yellow Pong Two(Cox .049), green Pong Two(Cox .09), LA Stick(Cox TD .010)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47846.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	821525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53067.jpg
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	821526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38739.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	821527  
Old 12-13-2007, 12:06 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 RC Plane Completion Pics

Wow! That's awesome to hear that you're having such a terrific time building and flying RC planes. Given all of your other interests, though, it does beg one question - what took you so long?
Old 12-13-2007, 06:42 AM

I guess I was skeered I'd get hooked.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:59 AM

Well, yer hooked now!

Budgetary constraints limit me to 2 planes per year. This spring, while awaiting the birth of my first daughter, I built my Dynaflite Fun Scale P51D Mustang 40 size. Powered by a .46AX, she's my first aileron plane and my first low winger. Flies beautifully, especially if you forget to lower the throttle. Scale take-offs are at half throttle (actually, I've never needed more than that for a decent take off...), vertical's unlimited, and high-low passes are blistering (by my club's somewhat tame standards, anyway).

This fall, I was given a Byron Originals Pipe Dream kit with most of the required pieces to complete. Finished that about a week ago, when about a foot of snow hit. It may not fly this year, but it's waiting to! Zenoah G38, bomb drop, flaperons, homely good looks. My first giant scale.

My other 2 planes are an old Aamco (Andrews) S-Ray (very modified) 3 channel 25 size trainer (rebuilt and first flown last year, my first RC plane), and my Aquastar 1/2a flying boat with Norvel .061 power.

Addictive, this stuff.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52726.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	824709   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70255.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	824710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47682.jpg
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	824711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey71256.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	824712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk69786.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	824713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Of57919.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	824714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fh81621.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	824715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fe14246.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	824716  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj82323.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	824717  
Old 12-13-2007, 12:18 PM

Your planes are fantastic! Thanks for sharing them. I'll be lucky to finish 2 planes next year due to budget and time constraints as well. Next up is a Skydrill(1/2A sized .049-powered, low wing, 3-channel speedster) and an Ultra Sport 60 kit with retracts. I find that I have less time to build now that I'm spending more of my free time flying and maintaining my current fleet.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:00 PM

[8D]Thanks!

I've been suffering from the happy time constraint that is my daughter! She's 7 months old right now, so spare time is made, not readily avialable. Flying here is pretty much done now (as you can see in the Pipe Dream pics), and during the season I manage maybe 2x per week. Lots of fog here during flying season too...

I'm struggling with my next project, I've got 2 I'd like to try.

One of my club's instructors gave me a framed up RCM trainer last year. Been toying with the idea of installing a pair of 25's or 30's on wing nacelles and putting it on floats, probably with twin tails for fun... I've also got a Norvel 0.061 AME engine about half broken in now (soon, maybe it'll be able to run out a tank...) and I really want to scratch up a half-a Yak 54 in the 30"/12oz sorta size. No plans out there for that so I'm planning to draw'em myself based on the hyperion 54" electric model my friend just got.

Have a feeling the twin will be next, seeing as how the airframe is there and I've got an itch for a twin lately...

Keep up the great building!

J