Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 Royal airplane engine parts >

Royal airplane engine parts

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Royal airplane engine parts

Old 01-09-2008, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Royal airplane engine parts

I have a Signature Series Royal .40 R/C Schneurle ABC engine that has never been run. I bought it at an estate sale of a modeler who had several un-opened kits and new/not-run engines. There is a broken part; the needle ratchet clip. As far as I can tell, the Royal Products Corporation aren't in business anymore. Are there any available parts for these engines? If so, could you please supple contact information.

I dabble in machining, and could probably fabricate a piece that would work. If someone has done this fabrication, I would be welcome to ideas.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:09 AM

Default RE: Royal airplane engine parts

I've replaced the detent clicker many times on my engines. Nothin' to it. Get some thin springstock (out of the cord retractor for a vacuum, or the recoil spring on a lawnmower, whatever is handy). Cut a suitable length, drill a suitable hole in the centre. Striking the ends with a cold chisel over a softish support will put that little divot in it that makes it go click. Carefully bend to shape using pliers. Heat may be required to bend and chisel without cracking the stock, depending on the material you've used. If heat must be used, some of the springiness will be killed, so re-tempering may be required (heat to dull red, quench in water, place in oven at 500F for 10 minutes or so, cool).

Or go the easy way, and order a replacement detent clicker for a Supertiger, Os, or any other engine with a similar nv assembly (not sure what brand would be closest, never seen a Royal engine).

Either way, should be childsplay for anyone with some modest machining/metal working experience.

Or, slip a short piece of fuel tubing over the threads so it loads the nv enough to prevent vibration rotation.

Good luck,

J
Old 01-09-2008, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Posting this in the glow engines forum might also garnerr some results, as there are more than a few real experts that lurk around in there. I used a piece of heat shrink tubing and two small cable ties when this happened to my TT 60. Still using that engine.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Years ago I had a pair of royal 25's in a twin. I needed a new carb and the OS carb was an exact fit. You might find the same with your 40. Matt
Old 01-11-2008, 10:27 PM
My Feedback: (9)

that part should be the same as an OS fsr 40 or an older magnum engine
Old 01-14-2008, 08:20 PM
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: rlheit

I have a Signature Series Royal .40 R/C Schneurle ABC engine that has never been run. I bought it at an estate sale of a modeler who had several un-opened kits and new/not-run engines. There is a broken part; the needle ratchet clip. As far as I can tell, the Royal Products Corporation aren't in business anymore. Are there any available parts for these engines? If so, could you please supple contact information.

I dabble in machining, and could probably fabricate a piece that would work. If someone has done this fabrication, I would be welcome to ideas.
I piece of blue steel strap like they use on pallets should work, fold it over one of your tool bits in a vice.
Cheap, plentiful material acquisition….. smiles