Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 Is there any harm in trying mode 1? >

Is there any harm in trying mode 1?

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Is there any harm in trying mode 1?

Old 01-19-2008, 12:53 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there any harm in trying mode 1?

I'm out of town, and brought my GP Realflight sim with me. Two nights ago, they were saying on Fox news that switching things up exercises the brain, and they gave brushing your teeth with your left hand (providing you're normally right handed) as an example. Well wouldn't you know, I was practicing the sim, and the centering cam for the elevator control broke. I opened the case up to see if I could repair it. Of course I wasn't able to because a plastic pin sheared, but what I was able to do was swap the parts over to the other side, putting it in Mode 1. It's very difficult to get used to, but the challenge is fun. Do I risk messing up my normal flying by doing this?
Old 01-19-2008, 06:30 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 281 Likes on 243 Posts
Default RE: Is there any harm in trying mode 1?

Only if your reactions in an inflight emergency are affected! Like the guy that hit "UP" when the airplane is inverted and turns it into a missle!
Old 01-20-2008, 01:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fly mode 1 on my own equipment and am able to fly mode 2 for instruction of newbies and helping others with test flights.

If you force yourself to practice, you will eventually get past the mental block that prevents you from adapting to allow you to simply respond to what the plane requires, regardless of what mode you are on.

Have fun with it..... BTW, nice handle

Mine was assigned to me by some of my RC air racing friends.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:35 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Other than that mental block that others mention, I don't see any real harm in it for us sport fliers. I have my 34+ year old Goldberg Sr. Falcon on mode-2 (tricycle gear) and my Great Planes J3 Cub and new (just bought, 45+ yrs old, still on the work table being restored) Great Lakes 2T-1A biplane on mode-1 (both tail draggers).

Personally, my "mental block" might be a bit different from others - but maybe not. I have LOADS of troubles taking off with a tail dragger in mode 2 so I do them as mode-1. Flying and landing aren't really all that different in either mode (both tail draggers have their original kit dihedral but the Sr. Falcon was built with a straight wing) but my main thing is that I originally learned to fly RC with a 3-channel SIG Kadet and, even after all these years, I like having rudder and elevator on the same stick.

But, that's just me.

Pics below of the Cub & Falcon, pic of the 2T-1 is of a full-size I'm using for reference in my restoration.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95065.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	871578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12766.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	871579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92202.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	871580  
Old 02-06-2008, 05:18 PM

One good thing about mode 2 is that you can fly with one hand. (right), your elevator and ailerons are all you need to fly circles. Works really well for me if I'm hand launching a spad or park flyer I can launch it with my left hand and not be totally rushed to get my hand back on the sticks. Or if I get a cell phone call, been there done that

Austin
Old 02-09-2008, 06:58 AM

90%+ of all Australian fliers use mode 1. I see the benefits of mode 2 from a purist sense but believe it's probably easier to teach a beginner with mode 1 (one stick per major flight control).

I'd like to try mode 2 but the only guys messing with that are stubborn beginners who never manage to keep their plane intact long enough.....
Old 02-10-2008, 12:52 AM
My Feedback: (2)

After playing around with it more, I have to say I'm still partial to mode 2. "1 stick per major flight control." Well, if you're trying to fly precision aerobatics, the rudder is pretty major. You can't really do without it, so it's a more or less a wash- for me anyway. But it was cool trying mode 1!