Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

All around fun-fly plane

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

All around fun-fly plane

Old 05-05-2008, 07:54 PM
supercubfanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All around fun-fly plane

I'm a beginner at rc flight but i'd like to purchase a reliable,stable and cheap rc plane that would be ideal for combat bombing,and landing competitions.Please,any suggestions
Old 05-05-2008, 08:22 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (107)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: All around fun-fly plane

I have a Tiger 2 that is my fun fly plane. I have had it for years and use it at every fun fly. Good Luck, Dave
Old 05-06-2008, 01:31 AM
CustomPC

My club favours the ModelTech Magic because It's cheap, reasonably tough and suits the type of tasks that we have on fun fly days. We have a crash/damage rate of about 30% on any given fun fly day so we want something that we can abuse and replace cheaply.

The Magics have been in short supply here so we've been looking for a suitable replacement.

Last weekend i entered the club fun fly with a Hangar-9 Tango and it worked well. The Tango is a very similar design plus it's cheaper and it practically assembles itself when you shake the box. Just about everything is pre-built so it's possible to buy one on Sat and fly it on Sunday.

It actually out performed the Magic on some of our tasks so i think it will become the model of choice as long as local supplies are available.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:45 PM
NorfolkSouthern

You won't regret converting to the Tango for your club's operations, CustomPC. They are surprisingly durable, their reliability is stellar, and they fly incredibly well. You can just about do anything with them. Durability: Mine once had a bad takeoff in a strong crosswind. It torque rolled and landed so hard it bent the gear out of shape. I had to bend the main gear back, reinforce the fuselage a couple places, repair some torn covering, reattach the windshield, and buy a new prop. Everything else was just fine. I had it back up again after about an hour of work. I've probably had over 100 flights since, with no problem.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 05-10-2008, 06:03 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sig Something Extra
Old 05-14-2008, 12:53 AM
MetallicaJunkie

a lot of guys use .40 sized sticks at our field
Old 07-15-2008, 12:28 PM
skyraider71

I would say try the tower uproar.[8D]
Old 07-15-2008, 05:24 PM
carrellh

These are planes I have seen at the field that fit the criteria of being pretty inexpensive. The first two are available as ARF or Kit. I built the Uproar 60 and really like it.
Great Planes Dazzler 40 ARF or Kit
Tower Hobbies Uproar 40 ARF or Kit
World Models Sky Raider Mach II ARF
Tower Hobbies Uproar 60 Kit
Another inexpensive ARF that might be worth a look is the Phoenix Dolphin ARF. I have never seen one at the field.

If price is not part of the criteria:
Goldberg Tiger (ARF/Kit, 40 or 60 size)
Sig Four Star 40 or 60 (ARF or Kit)
Big Stik
Ultra Stick
Lots of possibilities...

I think any of these can be a "second plane" after you know how to fly. I personally wouldn't want any of them as a primary trainer.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:14 AM
150flyer

The Ultra Stick
Old 07-17-2008, 09:09 PM
Sherman

A low price plane that is an excellent flier, and is easy to take off and land, is the Cermark Graduate. It is also easy to build, and I used all of their hardware and the wheels and tank supplied. It really flies better than a trainer, but at full bore is too fast for a trainer. A wonderful second plane with just a little help.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:25 PM
ndb8fxe
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with those that say Big Stick .40. I've got a thunder tiger pro .46 on mine and I'm having a blast with it.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:21 PM
halflight
My Feedback: (5)

Have a look at the Goldberg Senior Falcon.. Great fun flyer.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:39 PM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Most any profile in .40 or .60 size, or an ugly stick will make a great fun fly plane.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:44 AM
AlphaWhisky

Several of our guys, including me, are flying the Tower Hobbies 'Fun 51'. these provide a great bang for your buck. Simple to build and very agile with a good .40 - .46.

Mine was pretty docile with an OS 40 FP, but I have since replaced that with an old, but good, OS 40 FSR and these two are a great combination. I wouldn`t mind a dollar for every flight this thing has had and it still brings a smile to my face on full song......

Had it out again this morning.....

Alan W
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16585.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1008728  
Old 08-11-2008, 06:47 AM
Falco5

Alan, I'm not familiar with the Fun 51 but I take it they are the models in the pic. I wouldn't mind building one for an extra fun ship as I have a spare OS 40 FSR not doing anything.
Did you get the kits from Overseas or here in NZ and if here, can you advise the stockist please.
I also went out to the field this afternoon and test flew my new Vintage Heron converted to electric with elev & Ruder only....ended up pranging it on a steep turn on final...Rudder can fatal at slow speed.

Bill B.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:22 PM
AlphaWhisky

Hi Bill,

We bought several of these kits from Tower Hobbies ages ago when the exchange rate wasn`t so bad. In typical Kiwi fashion we have kept the plan, made a few templates and so are fixed for Fun 51`s for ever more......

A small point of concern. These things are nothing like a 2-function Vintage Heron.....

I don`t seem to have your email address here anymore. Send me an email or PM if you are interested and we should be able to organise you some details.

Alan W

PS - Right now we`re now going through the same exercise with the Sig Wonder.