Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Ultra Stick 40 for 2nd airplane?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Ultra Stick 40 for 2nd airplane?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 07:16 AM
airborneak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Stick 40 for 2nd airplane?

My SuperStar 40 has unfortunately met its demise after a control failure, and I'm looking for some advice on my next plane. What I'd like is a tough, short/rough field capable aircraft, that is reasonably aerobatic, yet not too difficult to fly. The capability to mount floats (and swap back to wheels) would also be a big plus, as I had my trainer set-up to swap back and forth, which made it good for flying at the lake or at the park. Based on that, the Ultra Stick 40 looks like it would be a good next step. Having flaps looks like it would be a fun feature that would definitely allow for good short field performance, and I've seen videos online of Sticks on floats. So, is there anyone out there that has this aircraft that would recommend it? Or is there another aircraft that you would recommend over the US40?

If I end up getting the Ultra Stick, there are a couple of additional questions I have. I noticed that the flap and aileron servos mount underneath the wing and are completely exposed. This concerns me simply because of the potential for water exposure while float flying. Anybody have any experience with this, or any suggestions for fairings or other methods of protection?

Finally, if I get the US w/flaps (or any other aicraft requring more than 4 channels), I'll need to upgrade my radio. Should I bother with a 6 channel radio, or spend more now and get a 7 channel to have for future aircraft that might need the extra channel?

Thanks for the input!
Old 06-09-2010, 08:56 AM
dignlivn

Default RE: Ultra Stick 40 for 2nd airplane?

A Stik is a great 2nd plane, as for the radio.
If your going to upgrade, get what you can afford.
A 7c or the new 8c comes to mind. I still use my
6 c though. Here's my 2nd plane, it's on it's third
year of flying.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49025.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	1450581  
Old 06-09-2010, 11:04 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Any Stik will work well for what you want, but if you want something durable, Go with the GP Stik. It's beefier than the Ultra and will take more punishment.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:37 AM
airborneak

Anybody have any thoughts on protecting the exposed servos, or is it not really a problem?
Old 06-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Eganwp
My Feedback: (1)

The stik is great, but just to give you another option, look into the Pulse XT series. They make a 25/40/60/120 sizes. Amazing 2nd planes, very aerobatic, can accept floats (at least I believe I've seen pics of guys putting floats on them anyway), and are so gentle to fly and land. Plus they have looks to boot!
Old 06-11-2010, 10:52 AM
jib

When our trainer had a mid-air, we went with an UltraStick 40. Nice plane, but a bit harder to fly than a trainer.

jack
Old 06-11-2010, 08:19 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had 4 Ultra Stick 40's. i love them. I have used various size Saito engines on them 50. 56, 62, & 72 Right now I'm using a 62.

I have taught guys to fly on Ultra Sticks. It takes longer but they are good once they learn

The exposed servos are no problem

Old 06-11-2010, 09:15 PM
mikekosatka
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that the ultra 40 is a good step up from a high wing trainer. Still a high wing but no dihedral makes the plane more responsive to imputs, just not as forgiving in a self-righting situation. There is no need to go to the expense and added weight of flaps... you will have plenty to learn/ get used to with just the basic plane. You can always retro-fit flaps later...it's easy. My second plane was an ultra-stik, but it was a custom buily Saito 180 powred highly modified 120 sized. It was a year before I played around with the flaps for airbrakes and crows. Have fun, but don't get ahead of yourself.
Good Flying!
Mike
Old 06-14-2010, 09:48 AM
spadeng

If you decide to go with the flaps definatly go with a 7 chanel radio that has CROW capability. The flaps and CROW are fun to play with, but you dont need to utalize that feature until you are ready. I am on my second US 40 and I love it, I can go from touch and gos to acrobatic flight. I dont know about flying with floats, my first one had a water landing-(no floatsthats why I am on my second). I have so much fun with my glow powered US I got a Mini Ultra Stick so I can fly in the park, Havent gotten a chance to get it together yet.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:00 PM
Eganwp

You can setup CROW on a 6 channel radio, even if it doesn't have "CROW" built-in.... Not sure why people always say you need a 7ch radio. I've setup 3 of my planes with CROW including an Ultra Stick on the DX6i. CROW is a ton of fun to play with! I can fly mine at literally walking speed.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:45 PM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A six channel will work with Y harness on flaps with only the loss of coupling the flaps and ailerons for very fast roll rate. In my opinion if one all ready has a six ch radio, then go that route but if one is buying a radio that will be fitted to an Ultra Stick... go with 7 ch.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:23 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

The Big Stik, Super Stick, Ultra Stik, Tiger Stick, Xtreme Stik, V-Stik, and other major variants make a terrific 2nd plane.

If you're considering a radio upgrade, I'd recommend a very thorough look at Airtronics' superb RDS8000 8-channel 2.4Ghz computer radio:

http://masportaviator.com/2009/02/27...-radio-system/

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=995

It's an amazingly full-featured radio system for $189.99, and extra receivers are readily available starting at $49.99 for the 5-channel full range model.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Disarray

A stick is a great 2nd plane. Heck it is a great 20th plane. The Ultrastick is anything but rugged though. I see them having their gear reattached very frequently. Perhaps a stick that is built a bit stronger would be a better choice.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:38 PM
skyraider71

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own an RDS8000, it's a great radio but unfortunately crow mode, and three position flaps can't be had together. You can only have one or the other.
I have run into some limitations seting up my UltraStick 40.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:35 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a JR 7202 and it could be that the same limitation applies to it. Not smart enough to do all the programming required of the US, I followed Horizon's instructions for the radio and ended up with the flap switch controlling crow - off/pos1/pos2 and mix switch - no mix/on (couples ailerons/flaps and elevator/flaps).

When landing in crow mode without any power on, the plane will slow to a point that lift suddenly falls away and I doubt that would happen if one could land under flaps only without crow. Just a few rpms however keeps air vectoring down off the flaps and prevents such sudden loss of lift. For this reason, I'd never dead stick it with crow on. Unless I'm trying to land slow and in the shortest distance, I usually land with mix on, which yields some flap as the plane is flared during landing, all in all providing a very gentle touchdown.

The idea of another switch engaging flaps only is intriguing and if someone knows how to achieve that, I'd be interested in giving it a try.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:38 PM
w8ye

The US 40 does real nice with full flaps only and no crow.

It doesn't float as long but the stall characteristics are about the same as no flaps

I like the flaps on a calm day as the plane comes right on down and lands slow
Old 07-27-2010, 09:44 PM
PipeMajor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I fly the US40 with a Saito .62 as my 2nd plane. I have the quad flap setup on mine but flew it as a basic 4 channel airplane until I got used to it. Sticks will grow on you - the more you fly 'em the more you'll luv 'em. Much better handling airplane than the trainer in the wind. My son shown here fiddling with MY stick (he has the Mini UltraStick).

Old 07-27-2010, 11:32 PM
w8ye

Looks good.

I had three yellow ones like that
Old 02-21-2011, 05:05 AM
OkieRCGuy

Please pardon my ignorance, but what is CROW?
Old 02-21-2011, 06:18 AM
w8ye

Flaps down ailerons up for maximum slowdown effect
Old 02-21-2011, 09:24 AM
kerwin50

I've had several sticks, I'd get a twist
Old 02-21-2011, 09:50 AM
w8ye

I have several Twist 60's and like the Saito 125's in them -Just Right.

The sticks are very nice but the Twist is a lot more capable if you like to cat around.

I also have all the Ultra Sticks and one Big Stick 60 and had a Super Stick 60 for several yrs..

All these planes are excellent for all around flying and in particular on windy days.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:25 AM
bikerbc

If you are looking for somthing to switch back and forth from floats to wheels the Hanger 9 Saratoga is a great flying plane...Its more expensive than the Ultra Stick 40 but you can get the Hanger 9 float kit to go with it and it switches in minits
Old 02-25-2011, 06:40 AM
tacx

To answer your question about waterproofing your under wing servos. Seal the servo joints with silicon. Some guys put a rubber washer or "O" ring under the servo arm, where the shaft comes out. They also apply some Vasaline at the shaft to increase protection. I read an article where some guys use plastic spoons and cut hem in half to make a scoop. They then cover the servo with the scoop (open in the back) to keep most of the water from splashing onto the servo when takeing off and landing.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Eganwp

While on the topic of CROW, I put up a video a few months back for those that can't figure it out on a 6 channel radio. Had a lot of people tell me it couldn't be done, so I did up a video instead. Allows flaps only, spoilerons only, or CROW and only uses one mix on the DX6i. Only thing you can't do with it is join the aileron/flaps together for insane roll-rate.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRAOqQGu3eY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRAOqQGu3eY[/link]

Egan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.