RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Sport Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/sport-flying-373/)
-   -   SIG Wonder needs advice (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/sport-flying-373/4650250-sig-wonder-needs-advice.html)

brenzo 08-21-2006 11:07 AM

SIG Wonder needs advice

Hi all, I just picked up my newest kit "the SIG Wonder." I've been in the hobby about five years now, but this is my first venture into the faster more agile planes. As I look around for advice on this kit there seems to be a wide range of thought on the subject as to what engine is best. I have been told anywhere from a .09 to a .40(flying brick comes to mindwith this one). I would apreciate any advice that you could give me. By the was has anyone tried to put landing gear on this kit. I guess I'm a little nervous about hand launching on my own and I'm lazy I wanna drive this puppy right up to my truch when I'm done flring and be on my way.
Thanks for the Advice. Please remember this is my first sport plane but not my first plane. I have made several piles of balsa and monocote at my local flight club ;)

MinnFlyer 08-21-2006 11:26 AM

RE: SIG Wonder needs advice

If this is your first Sport Plane, I would highly recommend a .10

This little thing is a rocket ship. and believe me, even with a .10 it will be all you can handle.

I have one with a .25 on it - I am an expert flier and I wish I had put a .15 instead!

PS, I think Landing Gear would be a mistake.

s. wallace 08-21-2006 01:05 PM

I totally agree, no gear on this lil model.

I have had them w/ the OS 10FSR, OS 15FP and an OS 25. The 15 with micro sevos was by far the best choice...keep it light and have fun. If I were to do another I might spring for the OS 15CV-A but it doesnt need anymore than a sport 15.

RCKen 08-21-2006 04:21 PM

What Minn and Lotus have said is right on the money. I have one with a 25 and it is a rocketship, pretty much way too much engine. And yes, landing gear will ruin this bird. A 10-15 engine and a by the plans build will give you a fantastic flying plane.

Ken

garys 08-21-2006 09:03 PM

I had one with a bushing Thunder Tiger 25. I replaced all the balsa sheeting with contest grade 4-6lb wood, micro servos (Futaba 3101's), 270 NiCad batt., and got the weight down to 2lbs even. Hand launching was easy, I just held it in front of me with the nose up about 45 degrees and let it fly out of my hand...;) Several other guys in my club built straight from the kit, and they flew noticeably heavier...

Riley 08-21-2006 09:42 PM

I think the OS fp-15 is just right! Seeing this is your first sport plane .
It's easy to fly > Just don't get "ham" hands with the sticks.....Smooth and easy.The VERY most important thing is the CG! CG! CG! Just like the plan say's. Set the throw's as per plan and all surfaces at netural when launched !Best have your Bud do the launch the first few times, until ya get the trim set. O ya..........Full throttle at launch. It's a great flyer...............Your go'na like it .

Dennis

jsn 08-22-2006 07:16 PM

15 size engine, mini servo's and build it as LIGHT as you can... no sloping extra epoxy and glue here and there:D I flew mine with a Magnum .25 and pipe:D WAY to fast but fun! mine came in at 38 oz and that's just to heavy... in a little plane like this you notice an ounce... 6 ounces is like adding a pound to a forty size plane. Hand launches are fairly easy since you have the fuse to grab onto... full throttle and a good toss is all it takes... try hand launching a Magnum by yourself with a 8x8 prop... it can get real interesting QUICK. Landing is easy to if you keep the weight down... mine lands like a brick and needs throttle management until just before touch down...not much fun but doable. Gear is not needed... if your flying of anything but grass use some epoxy and cloth inside the bottom of the fuse for added strength... easy on the epoxy though;) 2 strips of clear packing tape over the covering will protect it some what without adding much weight... replace as needed. Keep it light and and have fun... fast, even with a .15 is a given;)

John

stupidaso 08-23-2006 09:02 AM

I have built 2 of them, and these guys are giving very good advice. I used a magnum 15 in one and an os la 25 in the other. the LA is plenty. I also pylon race, and the wonder with the 25 reminds me of racing.

Don't worry about hand launching, the wonder ddoes very well with this. Consider walking to the plane a good opportunity to practice landing placement and get some exercise.:D

I used no epoxy on both of mine....no problems and saves weight. the rate of climb with the magnum pro 15 is pretty impressive, considering the small engine size.

Good luck, it's a fun little plane!

brenzo 08-23-2006 12:58 PM

Thanks for the advise everyone it is really appreciated. Here's what Ive decide on, the norvel big mig 15 and micro servos, You think that'll be OK? Also is this kit cool outta the box or is there something that need beefing up or lightening? One more thing, ya think it's ok if I leave the caonopy off? Seem s like a waste of time and wieght to me.
Thanks again for the advice
Sould have some built photos for you soon.

MinnFlyer 08-23-2006 01:07 PM

Sounds like a good combo.

This thing needs no modification, it's great as-is

You can leave the canopy off (I did) but the canopy makes for a nice place to hold it for underhand launches.

WCB 08-23-2006 09:10 PM

I have an OS .32 SX on mine and clocked it (Time/Distance) at 98 mph.

jsn 08-25-2006 10:08 PM

brenzo... sounds like you have a good plan... the words Micro servo's bother's me... if your talking something like the 3101's that garys used or say HS-81MG's then fine BUT if your thinking 3107's HS-55/50's or the like then NO... the surfaces would destroy them in the first flight.

Canopy is up to you... I used it and it does help a bit in flight IMHO... one more point to reference right side up from up side down;) With a 15 the balsa main spar is fine... I used spruce(IIRC... it was hard wood) since I went .25 on a pipe. Beef up F-2(IIRC) the main former that the wing dowel pins go into with some tri stock..two small pieces give LOT's more glue surface. sand the heck out of the wing tip's!

John

brenzo 08-28-2006 09:36 AM

Thanks for the heads-up on the micro servos. I have a couple of s3110m Futaba servoes laying around from another project. Do you think that this would be ok?

brenzo 08-28-2006 05:12 PM

One more thing does anyone really carve that crazy vortex wing tip, looks like a covering nightmare?

slowmover 08-28-2006 10:40 PM

My first full build was a wonder with a o.s. 15. It is great.Fast 95 to 100 by a police radar. Wing tips? Leave it be.

FlyingGreg 09-19-2006 02:11 PM

I tried to post a pic of mine with an OS FP .15 but I can't figure out how to do it. If anyone can explain how send me an email, or post the instruction here. Like most others have said keep it light and make sure you have the CG in proper location. I use a 4 oz tank and HS-81 (I think) servos, 270 mah battery and 555 receiver. Weighs in under 30 oz. Very easy to hand launch, but you can have someone help you the first time. Talk about economy--a pint of 10% fuel, chicken stick and glow igniter and you can fly all afternoon. There is a pic on our website at www.harksrc.org. Click on the club pics link if you're interested. Oh yea, I carved the vortex wing tips. Wasn'e that hard to carve or cover. They don't really improve flight charactersitics, but they look cool.

Good Luck!

brenzo 09-19-2006 08:48 PM

Thanks for all the advice folks. Just to let ya know building is going good. Should be ready for my first flight when the snow flies here in Ohio.:D Pics coming soon

Razor-RCU 09-20-2006 12:08 AM

Great advice! Don't be a stranger over in the Extreme forum, we got some crazy ideas of our own... :D

Jett-30 or Novarossi-21 maybe? [X(]:D;)

FlyingGreg 09-20-2006 06:49 AM

Just noticed I mispelled our club sebsite in an earlier post. It's www.hawksrc.org.

FlyingGreg 09-20-2006 06:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe this worked.

buzzingb 09-29-2006 01:55 PM

If you install a large fast engine you will have to fight it to keep in sight. I have seen one fly with a 46 and it was just too fast for the size it is. I would go with a smaller engine (recomended size ) to enjoy flying it.

brenzo 10-19-2006 07:56 PM

Ok guys I'm back again. Just to let you know I'm almost done, down to the details now. I'm a little nervous about my servo's being strong enough. To recap I did go with a.15 engine. The servos I got are micros. The're output tourque is 22.2 oz/in. Is this good enough? Will the servos be OK? Once again I wanna thank everyone for there advice. It is greatly appreciated.

FlyingGreg 10-20-2006 08:35 AM

I think 22 oz servos will be fine. You need very little elevator travel to fly the Wonder. Be mindfull of the CG. Very critical on close-coupled or tailless aircraft.

brenzo 10-22-2006 06:51 PM

Well folks almost done with this baby. I was working on getting the battery in just the right place to get it balanced today and realized, I don't have anywhere to fly this thing. I moved to the area a few monthes ago and since I don't have a model flying at the moment I haven't found the local field yet. If anyone here is from the Columbus Ohio area and know of a good field and group I would love some info. I don't know what I'm worried about I'll probably be looking for that tiny screw outta that micro servo for the next year and a half, darn those things are tiny, and the bounce good to. :) I should probably just bye a bag of fifty of them or so. see ya folks>

FlyingGreg 10-23-2006 07:00 AM

There are several AMA clubs in the Columbus, OH. Go to their web site and click on the club locator button. Pretty sure there is one at Alum Creek reservoir somewhere.