Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > Suggestions
Reload this Page >

Inappropriate topic for RCU?

Community
Search
Notices
Suggestions Have a suggestion for a feature, new category or anything else? Let us know by posting it here!

Inappropriate topic for RCU?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 09:50 PM
oliveDrab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inappropriate topic for RCU?

When I signed into RCUniverse tonight I was surprised to find a forum entitled "guns and laws" with 93 posts. This is RCUniverse not Guns and Ammo. Why was this thread allowed to continue and why didn't a moderator halt it?

Old 10-02-2010, 09:52 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Inappropriate topic for RCU?

Because it is in the "off topic" forum, which allows some discussion of non-Rc related topics.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:58 PM
oliveDrab

Right - off topic. I knew somebody was gonna say that. I still think it's inappropriate.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:05 PM
hugger-4641

You don't have to read it.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:41 PM
oliveDrab

Here's an "off-topic":

"The legend of modern-day Bucksnort is this. In the late 1800's a settler... particularly a trader by the name of Buck lived in the area. Among other things, Buck supposedly sold Moonshine. Therefore, locals would say they were going to "Buck's to get a snort".

As intriguing as this is... I am not sure exactly how much fact there is to it... and I'm at this point not even sure there is any history to modern-day Bucksnort. There is no US census data at the site and no post office. However, a couple noted wrestlers seem to call Bucksnort home.

One thing that throws me off is that today's Bucksnort, TN is not the original Bucksnort, TN.

The original site Bucksnort, TN is nearly a hundred miles away in Lincoln county, just outside of Fayetteville, TN. The town of Bucksnort at this site was renamed to Mimosa, TN in 1898.

The legend of the original Lincoln county Bucksnort is that a man named William "Buck" Pamplin lived in the area before the civil war. William was an avid whiskey drinker, and would get "soused to the ears" with the stuff. Before you knew it, he was roaring and snorting until everyone around could hear him. Thus, a frequent saying around town was "just listen to Buck snort". Eventually people would run the words together, and when a post office was added in July of 1887, the surrounding community became "Bucksnort".

Funny thing though, the two legens are similar. Yet, not the same location. The Bucksnort in Lincoln county is now named Mimosa, TN, and I do not know why it was renamed. The post office was renamed to Mimosa on October 28th, 1898. In 1902, the post office was discontinued and the mail sent to Fayetteville. To this day the area is still named Mimosa.

So my question is this.

Is modern-day Bucksnort, TN in any way related to the original Bucksnort, TN?

Why was the original Bucksnort renamed?

Is there any known history to modern-day Bucksnort, TN?

Is there any truth to the legend of today's Bucksnort?"

-oliveDrab
Old 10-03-2010, 08:54 PM
hugger-4641

Very interesting questions. I've been to the present day Bucksnort several times. Many times I will stop in at the mom-pop convenient store there and get a sandwich on my way to or from Nashville, there is also a trout hatchery there where you used to be able to buy pan sized fish, but I don't think you can any more. I'll be glad to see what history I can dig up on each "Bucksnort", we have a local historian here in McKenzie who can probably educate us. Will probably be several days before I get back.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:13 PM
oliveDrab

Cool! Thanks!