Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > Suggestions
Reload this Page >

Private Message Replies always being auto quoted?

Community
Search
Notices
Suggestions Have a suggestion for a feature, new category or anything else? Let us know by posting it here!

Private Message Replies always being auto quoted?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 08:02 AM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Private Message Replies always being auto quoted?

I had posted most of the below message earlier in the "Report bugs with new vbulletin forum" thread, though it's probably not a bug, but rather just poorly setup functioning which I'm strongly suggesting RCU to make some changes for member convenience.

So am I the only one that has this happen, or believes the new Private Messaging reply software default has been poorly set up?

When looking in my Private Message Inbox, I clicked on a new message to read it. When the message opens, the Quick Reply box area below the message is automatically filled with the quote of the entire PM. Not sure this was by design or is actually a mistake, but it is an added inconvenience, & the old messaging system never quoted a PM automatically every time one was simply opened up for reading or to reply, & only did it when you manually selected to quote the original PM in a reply. I checked throughout my forum settings, & did not see anything which could be changed to correct this less than desirable automatic quoting functioning.

Even if I assume the PM Quick Reply box is now automatically being filled with the entire message quote for member "convenience", because RCU administration believes most people will want to quote an entire PM in all of their replies, if I click on the Go Advanced button to create a new PM reply instead (believing & hoping the reply box will be a blank slate for me to write my new message without having a quote), the reply box is once again filled with a quote of the entire original message!

Besides there's already a text link in the Inbox messaging system when you first open any message, which can be clicked if you wanted to create a reply with a quote of the original message anyway. Because there is already a quick link to create a quoted message if one wishes to have one, why is the reply box filled with the quote by default anyway?

The way it stands now, the current link at the bottom of the Inbox private messages is actually misnamed in my opinion too, as it just says, "Reply to Private Message", when it should really show, "Reply to Private Message with Quote", because while hovering your cursor over that specific text link, the pop-up label for that link shows, "Reply with Quote", & if you click the link, you do get a new page opening with a reply box that does contain the quoted message!

However, if RCU wants to keep the Quick Reply box default settings as always having it contain an entire message quote for any private message reply after you open a private message to read or reply, then the private messaging Go Advanced button when clicked to create a reply message, certainly should not automatically quote the PM in the new reply box; that reply box should remain blank so members at least have an easy one click option to reply without having any quote.

So the way the private messaging reply is set up now, if I don't want to quote the original PM at all in any one of my replies, I have to manually select all the text from the reply boxes (of either the Quick Reply or Go Advanced reply box options) & delete it before starting to write my new replies ... though this is only a small waste of time, it's still an inconvenience to everyone that wants to reply without quoting the original PM. This could easily be avoided with a few simple changes, & having every reply box filled with the original message quote defeats the whole purpose of having an easy one click link to create a quoted reply if you want one in the first place. It would be better to change the quick text link to show, "Reply without Quote", which when clicked, opens a new reply box message window with a completely blank reply box!

Please change these private messaging settings to get rid of this inconvenient automatic PM quoting reply that is being done, & as another convenience, on the PM Go Advanced reply page, there should also be a link or button added to quote the original message anyway, just in case someone who wasn't going to quote the original message at first, then decides that they do want to quote it. Because isn't one of the whole benefits to changing over to a new forum software, being able to provide more convenience for the users, not less?

The way the PM reply system is currently set up it will definitely be less convenient for a lot of members than the way the old forum handled it!

Regards,
Craig
Old 09-03-2013, 09:17 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Craig,
I will pass this on to the staff of IB as they are unlikely to see it here in this forum. However, as a work around you can quickly remove all the text in the reply box with 2 keystrokes. Click in the reply box with your mouse and then click ctrl-A and delete. This will quickly remove all the text in the reply box and should only take a second or less of time.

Ken