Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > Suggestions
Reload this Page >

Date of thread origin...

Community
Search
Notices
Suggestions Have a suggestion for a feature, new category or anything else? Let us know by posting it here!

Date of thread origin...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 10:33 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Date of thread origin...

I noticed in this new/old format there's no date of origin in the thread listings of a given forum. There's no way to tell how old a thread is, until you open the thread, only to find out it's years and years old... I opened a thread that I found was 14yrs old, with one new recent post, the rest of it was ...14yrs old.. no relevance whatsoever... not even to the current comment... so that date on the forum page/thread listing might help everyone.

The opening/origin dates are relevant to some users I'm sure... These dates are included on most every other message board I belong too... and I'm pretty sure it would be easy to bring those back... as I requested this on another board, and they reinstated them, to many users delight.

Other then that I'm liking this look more these days. Good luck with it.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:52 PM
DGrant

It seems the same situation has occurred with the recent upgrade. There's no date of thread origin on the thread list within the forums. Read above comment. Thanks.

PS... see... if there was a date on the origin of this very thread, you might not have opened it.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:27 AM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Please put the date of origin back. Also please put the jump to top of forum button back.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:43 AM
IBobi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

working on this guys, thanks!
Old 03-28-2018, 10:47 PM
DGrant

Thanks IBobi.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:49 PM
DGrant

Originally Posted by IBobi
working on this guys, thanks!
How's that thread/date origin going there IBobi? It seems it's still not up and running. We're all hitting on threads that are years old that have no relevance to many of us. Not that there's anything wrong with old threads, but the only way to tell the date is to open the thread.

It's really getting annoying. That date itself is relevant in that most of us that frequent this board used to be able to tell if it's a new thread, or years old, and respond(or not) accordingly. Many of the original posters of the old threads aren't even active on the site anymore.

How about it man? You guys are the gurus right. Please.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:31 PM
DGrant

Here's a fine example of an old thread that I clicked in on(about the 20th one this evening).

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-...e-engines.html

Thread started sometime in 2010, progressed a few times over the years and sat dormant for 5yrs, and recently (last few weeks) someone posted a response in that thread and by the looks of it probably never realized he was responding to a post over 5yrs old. That thread origin date would at least tell someone before they even open the thread when it was originally posted and give a heads up.

I'm done for the night wasting time opening old threads.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:59 PM
IBobi

I understand. When I have any news, I assure you I will report it. It will not be this week and may be some time in fact before this is resolved.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:22 AM
DGrant

Thanks for the response IBobi.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:47 PM
DGrant

I'm now finding this very amusing. Many of the old threads are getting responses... probably because newer users don't pay attention to the dates. I mean responses that in no way would be remotely relevant... It's actually hilarious now. Sorry to bring this up again... but seriously it's looking ridiculous now.

You have users responding to 15yr old threads that haven't had activity for nearly that long... and by those posts..most of those people are actually expecting a reply to some kind of inquiry or question. At least it's amusing for one of us... as it might not bode very well if users aren't getting responses they're expecting. Just an observation. It's no longer as annoying by any stretch... when I'm bored I just hit on a few threads of any given forum...and sure enough there'll be an oldie.. it makes me laugh.. haha.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:05 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

it would be seriously useful to have the origin date on each of the marketplace adds.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:41 AM
DGrant

Originally Posted by mongo
it would be seriously useful to have the origin date on each of the marketplace adds.
Yes, it would. I'm starting to wonder if not having that date might be spurring activity... It can be very frustrating for someone that's shopping for something I'm sure... and a waste of time as well.
I've come to accept it, and am now entertained fortunately... but it started as a frustration no doubt. At least I'm not the only one that sees it that way.

There seems to be more activity since there's no dates to go by. I know I clicked on a few dozen or more threads that were quite old. One thread hadn't had activity for 15yrs... then one recent post brought it back. .... Many threads are coming back just for that reason... What I find funny though, is in many cases, the recent posts to old threads are actually referring to out of date and obsolete information... and the seemingly oblivious poster probably doesn't have a clue. It's entertainment at this point. When I need a laugh. When I want to study current RC though I have other sites.

I'm sure they could bring those dates back. I mean look at how nice this site is, it really does have some great features these days... but that one factor just makes it funny and less effective.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:30 AM
IBThomas
RETIRED; DO NOT PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're looking into adding origin dates to the threads. Stay tuned.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:32 PM
IBobi

Gtt-3089 test.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:23 PM
DGrant

So... how long has it been since I started this thread?... You had to open it to know for sure right. Same issue, almost 2 years now. What a joke.

Is this how you guys really want to run a website? I've been a member here for almost 18 years, was a moderator when it launched, and was here when it was such a premiere site, and have also seen it go downhill and come back up. I'm thinking it's on it's way back down again. Sorry to see it in such disrepair. I hope things get fixed and it starts running again.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:26 AM
IBThomas
RETIRED; DO NOT PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DGrant
So... how long has it been since I started this thread?... You had to open it to know for sure right. Same issue, almost 2 years now. What a joke.

Is this how you guys really want to run a website? I've been a member here for almost 18 years, was a moderator when it launched, and was here when it was such a premiere site, and have also seen it go downhill and come back up. I'm thinking it's on it's way back down again. Sorry to see it in such disrepair. I hope things get fixed and it starts running again.
I'll check in and see if origin dates are something slated for a future update. There's been a number of higher priority fixes that have been implemented since last year, which may explain why this has been open for awhile.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:45 AM
IBobi

This was not a RCU change, it was a core software change. It is indeed slated to be returned at some future update.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:22 PM
DGrant

Thanks for the responses.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:35 PM
DGrant

Originally Posted by IBobi
This was not a RCU change, it was a core software change. It is indeed slated to be returned at some future update.
You guys did it!!!! Thank you IBob!! Very nice, I had to take a double take as I couldn't believe what I was seeing, but sure enough we now have date of origin on the threads! Great job!
Old 12-05-2019, 09:52 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

still need the date of origin on the classified listings.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:04 PM
DGrant

Originally Posted by mongo
still need the date of origin on the classified listings.
Haha... yeah.. that classified section needs quite a bit more then that. I used to use it quite a bit, but it's been years ago. It became a slug and difficult. I'm pretty sure they've heard it all now.

One step at a time though... at least they got a good part of it done with the discussion forums, and maybe the classifieds are next. It took them almost 2-1/2yrs to get the origin date on the discussion forums, I'm not pushing for any more at this point. They might have their hands full already.