Community
Search
Notices
Suggestions Have a suggestion for a feature, new category or anything else? Let us know by posting it here!

Chat room

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 10:58 PM
Landi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chat room

Hi guys dont u think that a chat room at Rc-Universe would be somthing nice.

I go frequentlly to http://www.rc-network.de/magazin/startseite.html is a german site but wau the ammount of info there is great and they have a chatroom and is great to interchange ideas in real time.

Saludos Landi
Old 03-01-2004, 12:30 PM
rc247

Default RE: Chat room

This topic has been brought up before.... numerous times.. Besides being a bandwidth hog, i think it would add a ton of work to the moderators already busy duties here to monitor a chatroom 24/7.

If you have an irc client... there are rc airplane chats at

irc.webmaster.com in the #rc-airplanes and #rc_chat channels

Bill
Old 03-09-2004, 12:41 PM
hovercrafter

I have a bot I keep on undernet. I Started a room today called #RCFlight. If we can spread the word, then we can get it registered through Undernet. Stop in and see.

Thanks
Jamie

p.s. you need any help connecting, drop me a message and I can help you out!!!
Old 03-12-2004, 01:32 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Chatroom monitoring is unneccesary. We can just set up filters for words such as ****, ****, ****, and ****. We can let crap through, because it is an important word for describing stuff.

Once a member of RCU chat has violated the filter however many times, they get booted out of chat for a day, or whatever. We can set up fellow monitoring by providing a "Warn" button.

But the big problem (please read my post in this forum) is that we have no leader for a project of this type, and that grafting the finished chatroom will be hard. But testing such as system is simple by just posting that we have a chatroom, beta edition, and have users submit bug reports to us.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:30 PM
hovercrafter

YUB, i agree fully about getting it going. The nice thing about IRC is that fact that it is stable, free and accessible to everyone.
As far as the control mentioned, such items as a word monitoring/filtering, abuse system is easily set up. I have 24 hour access to the net, which is why I parked a bot in #rcflight on undernet. I am working on a full channel bot for it. I would like to get it set up to the point of having a "committee" type membership that sets the rules for the chat channel, what filtering if any is needed, and other ideas for the channel. Also these people will function as the ops of the channel. The channel registration process for undernet is rather strict, so we need people in there to get the undernet X bot in the channel.
Any one that has suggestions for the channel, or would like to help out by either being an operator or channel supporter for registration, please message me here.

Thanks
Jamie
Old 03-15-2004, 09:59 AM
Landi
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Jamie

I'm intrested in participate on this project. Send me some more info in how it works and so on.

Saludos Landi
Old 03-24-2004, 03:31 AM
rclooney

i may have the solution. i have a flash chat program that i could put the rcu logos in and you could put it in the forum. as far as i now, it works.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:43 PM
norbe
My Feedback: (51)

I love the idea of a chat room, it is nice and gives you the desired information for something you are looking instantaneously. I was going to suggest to open a chat on the RCU but apparently some people thought it sooner than me. I think that a RC fan most of the time is a passionate hobbyist, specially if he likes to go into the forums and look up info for his hobby, so I don't think that there would be high issues on the language or education used in the chat. You can also have a restricted access to the chat to members who have at least a certain number of posts on the forums, and before you admit the member to the chat just check out his previous forums and see what type of messages he writes.
Old 04-24-2004, 09:07 PM
commodore64

Wee, late post.

An IRC chat channel wouldnt be a bandwidth hog, there are plenty of IRC servers out there just screaming for users. I know one that already has a Java Client and would love users =) So all you need to do is register a channel and get the Java Client.

As for moderating, just get some IRC addicts that have nothing better to do to sit in there moderating the channel. I know plenty of popular sites that have regular users as moderators because they dont have the time to moderate a channel along with all the other work I do. And those mods are separate from the mods in the forums.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:17 PM
rc247

Theres already an pretty active IRC chat on irc.webmaster.com 6667 in the #rc_chat channel. I know that ********.net and TR (torqroll) both have java clients that point there.

Bill
Old 04-30-2004, 09:08 PM
commodore64

I am on webchat a lot, and I did /list #rc* and got all the rc chat rooms. But they are all to do with planes. It would be awesome if this site had its own chat, because there would be a LOT more users, therefore easier to get some sort of results.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:47 PM
sledmanass
My Feedback: (2)

I also creat a chat room a while back on my site, check it out if your still interested, [link=http://rcads.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=chat]http://rcads.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=chat[/link]