Notices
SuperTigre Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions regarding the SuperTigre line of engines.

SUPER TIGRE G-27 ENGINE

Old 06-28-2007, 12:54 PM
Kws1976

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SUPER TIGRE G-27 ENGINE

I just bought a duratrax raze and have 1 gallon of odonnells 30% ran through it I set my needles at factory settings hsn 4 1/2 lsn at 12 1/2 turns out and when i run the car my fuel gets to a 1/4 tank sometimes less then engine quits anyone experience this issue it's reallly starting to get on my nerves
Old 06-29-2007, 09:43 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: SUPER TIGRE G-27 ENGINE

From your description, your engine really isn't properly-tuned. The "factory" settings are only starting points, and you must tune your engine from there. You'll need to get the high-speed needle leaned from there to the best setting, and then adjust the low-speed needle as necessary. You want the high-speed needle leaned to the point that it's just rich of peak RPM. You can tell it's OK when you can accelerate to full throttle and it will hold. If it goes to full and sags, it's too lean.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:10 AM
deckedout0861

I have 8 raze buggies. I have locked up 2 supertigre engines from sheer mileage. I am wanting to resleeve these motors. I have all the parts, but I am having tecnique difficulties on how to separate the rod from the crank on one of them. The other has broken the crank pin that the rod revolves on. I am not wanting to damage cases when removing or replacing sleeves. Can anyone help?
Old 08-23-2007, 10:02 AM
Bax

To remove the piston/rod assembly from the engine, you need to slide the cylinder liner out of the top of the crankcase. You'll have to heat the crankcase to do that. Once the liner's out, you can easily remove the piston/rod assembly from the crankshaft. Reverse the process to reassemble the engine, heating the case first.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:31 PM
deckedout0861

Thanks Bax for your quick response. Is there any way to tell how much heat. Or what kind of torch to use. I have a map gas torch that I use for sweating pipe at work. And I also have a full oxygen acetaline torch That I have used on some of my automotive projects at the house. I am just wondering if you could advise me a little more on this cause ive never tried this before and dont want to cause further damage. Thanks again. And have a nice day.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:06 AM
Bax

We use a propane torch in our shop and make sure to evenly heat the case. You can also use an oven and heat the case to about 250 degrees F or slightly hotter. Just make sure there's no oil in the case or it will smoke.

A modeler's heat gun will work nicely, too, just more slowly.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:27 PM
messn03

What damage will occur if temp reaches 370 degrees? Did it today and just lost power, shut 'er down and oiled it up--din't stick the piston--did I git' lucky or whats gonna happen when I fire it up next time? Appreciate any input or info! ---Mess[:@]
Old 11-14-2007, 10:40 AM
Bax

If your engine is running well, and is set rich of peak RPM, then ignore the temps. A good-running engine is at a good temp, no matter what you read or what other people say. Use temps only to determine if you have a problem once you have the engine set correctly. Then they may mean something. Usually, though, they really don't mean much, and using temps to tune an engine will amost guarantee a short engine life.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Claymore5150

I just got my Raze engine broken in. 6 tanks of fuel. It was running like a champ and ready for a little more lean out when I put it away. The next day, it won't fire to save my life.

I never touched the factory low needle. It would idle and everything perfectly as it was.

The high needle was done per factory specs and everything was peachy-keen when I put it up.

Now it won't start. It's feeding fuel properly. I've put a new OS-8 glow plug in it, new battery in my glow-starter and have tested both the plug and the fire. I'm at a loss.

It does sound like it wants to crank on occassion.

I replaced the pull-crank with a drill starter before break in and it has worked like a champ.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-26-2007, 11:55 AM
Bax

If you have good compression, good fuel, and a good plug, the engine should fire. Usually, it's due to bad technique when it won't fire...and that's mostly from over-priming. You'll need to make sure the engine is dry of fuel and then barely prime it. Turn it over a bit before you apply the battery to it and then crank it with the battery attached.

Also, please realize that if the weather has changed a lot since the last time you ran the model, the carb adjustments will not be correct. The carburetor needs to have the needles adjusted for each day's running. That's the nature of using an alcohol-based fuel. If you haven't run the model since summer, and it's now a lot colder, then the high-speed needle will need to be richened quite a bit (1/4-1/2 turn or so) in order to get enough fuel to run. Colder air is denser, and you need more fuel to get the same ratio of air to fuel.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:44 AM
Claymore5150

Well, I finally got it running. You were right about the technique. Anyhow...it was a fuel-feed issue and it was because the carb wasn't open enough to allow the fuel to feed when trying to prime the engine.

Anyhow, situation #1 resolved, situation #2 just popped up.

It runs like a champ again, but anytime I hit the brakes the engine quits.

I'm not new to R/C, but I am new to nitro. I'm sure this is a simple fix.
Any advice?

Old 11-27-2007, 11:21 AM
Bax

If the engine quits when you hit the brakes, then the throttle's too high and the clutch is still engaged. You're basically killing the engine by braking with the clutch engaged.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:54 PM
Claymore5150

It was a simple fix. It was the idle screw. She's back to top form. Awesome!
Old 02-22-2011, 05:43 AM
Toodles24

Wow I really enjoy reading all the Q/A on this forum. The infomation is great .I think breaking into nitro rc will be much less painfull because of all you guys answering these posts.

Thanks to all Sal
Old 02-22-2011, 05:50 AM
Toodles24

Hello,

I have a WARHEAD that i am building .I really want to change out the engine to something differant like a picco or Axial. The engine in the truck looks fine I have taken it out and everything as far as i know lookis good. my ? is where do i get a rebuild kit for it I would like to use it to learn with and rebuild it. G27 SUPER TIGRE

Thanks

Old 02-22-2011, 07:01 AM
Bax

There isn't a "rebuild kit" for a model engine. You purchase whatever parts you need.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:12 AM
Toodles24

Thanks