Community
Search
Notices
SuperTigre Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions regarding the SuperTigre line of engines.

Super Tigre G2300 problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 01:32 PM
lechuza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Tigre G2300 problem.

Hello, I have installed a Super Tigre G2300 upsidedown on my Great Planes Giant Supersporter, because the manual recalls to install the engine that way.Any way, I am having hard time to keep the engine running at idle.I tried 5% and 15% nitro fuel, Short Hot to Short medium hot glow plugs like O.S. #3 and O.S. #8 respectively, Enya short hot glow plug #3, and late a Fox miracle long medium hot glow plug, which with this last one, I got worse engine running,(spurs, irregular R.P.M., low to high transition very bad, and some kind of detonation) why???I read that this glow plug can be used either on 4-stroke and 2-stroke glow engines.The O.S. and Enya shorts glow plugs works fine but there is still the idle running problem.Also, the engine manual recomends the use of a general purpose long R/C glow plug.

Also, every time the engine quits, there is a continiously droping of fuel coming out from the carburaetor, which makes me believe that some flooding happens(my opinion).Any way, the engine starts well, and most of the iddle to hight transition goes pretty good, the problem is when go to idle with the engine upside down and that drops of fuel coming out of the carburetor intake.

What can be done to correct those things mentioning above?, Has anyone with upsidedown installed glow engines develop those problems, specially with the Super Tigre engines? Should I try other type of long glow plug?, What about the ones with idle bar?

Thanks, Isaias G.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:21 PM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Super Tigre G2300 problem.

Where is the tank located relative to the center of the carb?

Paul
Old 05-06-2008, 04:34 PM
lechuza

Hello, the tank center line is located a bit above the carb. center line ( about 1" above), but the construction of this ARF model and the location on the engine mount as indicated on the manual makes this situation as a consecuence.You can download this ARF model from towerhobbies.com or the great planes web page and they not say nothing about this situation, just the assembly and location instructions.

Isaias G.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Ralphbf
My Feedback: (27)

I have a simular situation with the ST-2300.

The dripping fuel will always be a issue.
There is nothing to stop the gas from running out.
A set of clamps, forceps, when the plane is just sitting or being fueled.

Lean out the idle and rotate the cylinder in the Carb. for midrange.

This situation is actually common and not just with the Super Tigre engines.
A lot of pattern planes go through this.

Also an on-board glow system would be a good thing.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:10 PM
telejojo

The big ST's don't like a lot of oil.I mixed some methanol (1qt.) with a little over 1/2 gal. of 5% fuel and the idle was smooth and trans. was a lot better.Probably about 12% oil.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Ralphbf

And here is what Super Tigre says:

Propeller: 16x8, 18x8, 18x10
Glow Fuel: Minimum of 18% high quality oil by volume in fuel,
Nitro content should be between 5-15%.
SUPERTIGRE Recommends Fuel with 18% oil MINIMUM.
Large Fuel tubing.

The ST-2300 is not your typical large, I'll do fine on 10% oil, Super Tigre engine.

If you have room try a 17x10n APC prop.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:31 PM
still4given

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AFAIK the 2300 is different than the 2000, 2500 and 3000. It is timed for higher RPM and higher nitro. They say it should not be run on the low oil fuel designed for the old engines.

If you can set your radio to completely close the carb when it is off, no fuel will leak through the carb.

Blessings, Terry
Old 05-07-2008, 12:18 AM
Ralphbf

"If you can set your radio to completely close the carb when it is off, no fuel will leak through the carb."

That is a good point, one that I hadn't thought of even though I've had trouble with that before.
Actually I was trying to work the Carb. backwards and noticed that after a certin point the Carb. would not draw fuel.

On my raido I have a "Throttle Cut". If that were used it would not leak fuel.
I always turn it off when the engine dies. If I left it on the gas would not leak.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:47 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The SuperTigre G2300 should run very well, upright or inverted. If you have difficulties getting it to run inverted, it may not be fully-broken-in, have the carburetor adjusted correctly, or have the fuel tank improperly-located. A full breakin will take about 2 gallons' worth of running before it's complete. Once the engine's well-broken-in, the carburetor can be adjusted. The instructions for adjusting the carburetor are in a post at the top of this forum. The fuel tank should be located so that the centerline of the fuel tank is level with the center of the carburetor or about 8-10 mm lower (about 3/8").

The fuel used for the G2300 should contain NO LESS than 18% oil by volume. We'd suggest a good-quality synthetic/castor blend. Nitro can be 0%-10%, but 5% is usually the best compromise. The glow plug can be an O.S. #8, #A3, or Type F. That depends upon how well your engine runs on the various plugs.

When ANY model engine that uses a glow plug is run inverted, operation can become problematic. That's because the glow plug becomes the lowest point in the fuel system, and can be flooded by fuel at low-to-mid throttle settings. Sometimes a carburetor adjustment can cure this, but sometimes you have to add an on-board glow plug battery that will light the plug at low throttle settings.

If the fuel level in the tank is above the needle valve, then fuel can siphon out when the engine's not running. That's entirely normal. You must either run the engine in flight enough to lower the level in the tank below that point, use a clamp, or drain some excess fuel from the tank between flights. That will stop the dripping. Closing the carburetor may not work at all...depending upon the idle mixture setting and how far the carb's set to close. Closing the carburetor will cut off air to kill the engine, but doesn't cut off fuel.

One last thing: If you are not a SuperTigre service representative, please do not reply to other peoples' posts. RCU rules state that only the manufacturer's representative is permitted to answer questions in the Support forums. These are also not discussion forums. Posts not made by the Support Staff will be deleted.

Thank you.