Notices
SuperTigre Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions regarding the SuperTigre line of engines.

Super Tiger 51 Muffler Gasket

Old 07-17-2009, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Tiger 51 Muffler Gasket

The muffler gasket on the .51 quickly tears after several uses. I've tried high temp RV gasket maker, but this too dissolves after several runs.

My question is if this gasket is really needed if you can get a tight fit between the muffler and the extension.

Other engines do not have this gasket.

Thanks

Cary
Old 07-17-2009, 08:59 PM

Default RE: Super Tiger 51 Muffler Gasket

I had the same problem with my 51. I just left the gasket out, no RTVV sealent and just locktite the mounting bolts and fly. So far on about a dozen engines, including OS, no problems. Give it a try, it will work. Other people have other ideas that work as well. So far my engines don't even make a mess through where the gasket was. Happy flying.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:28 AM

Thanksk for the reply. I'll give it a try.

The problem that occurred is that when the RTVV gasket dissolved, it left a small gap between the muffler and the muffler adapter, which allowed for metal to metal contact. There was a "glitching" problem on all servos at a certain RPM. My reasoning is that the small gap between the two metal surfaces was causing the radio interference ? What do you think ?
Old 07-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The gasket is not needed at all. Just bolt-up the muffler and use the engine. If you have a lot of oil leaking, you can dress the muffler and engine exhaust port for a bit better fit.

Silicone seal is not recommended because a small bit of it can contaminate the glow plug. Just go without the gasket.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:41 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always use a gasket - it prevents the muffler from rubbing against the exhaust and generating aluminum filings. I make may own gaskets from file folder material using a stamp pad.

Paul