Notices
SuperTigre Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions regarding the SuperTigre line of engines.

ST 2000 SETTINGS

Old 12-25-2009, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ST 2000 SETTINGS

i have an Italian st2000 in good shape. What type of fuel, prop, glowplugs, and initial needlevalve settings do I need to be concerned with before I start to benchrun it? Thanks for any help. Dave
Old 12-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: ST 2000 SETTINGS

To set your carburetor:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1579985/tm.htm

For fuel, use a fuel with 10%-12% CASTOR OIL, 5% nitromethane, and the rest, methanol. This is per the factory's instructions. If the engine has never been run and is new, then up the oil content to 12%-15% castor oil. DO NOT USE SYNTHETIC OIL! (Again, per the manufacturer's original instructions).

Use an OS #8 plug, or possible a Type F plug...whichever works best. You have to try and see.

Try a 16 x 8 prop to start. You want the engine to turn about 7,500-8,000 RPM when leaned to peak RPM on the ground.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:44 PM

I have a giant Ultra Sport with a brand new (bought it on RCU) ST G-2000. It refuses to draw fuel consistently. The original G-2000 had a fitting screwed into the back plate, like they had hooked up a Perry Pump. I have tried the original carb, a Perry 5100 carb, & added a Perry Oscillating type pump, all to no avail!!!The muffler that came on the plane is a Super Tiger BOX type with two exhaust ports. I have plugged one port, drilled out the pressure fitting, installed baffles, still not enough back pressure to keep it running at WOT. It’ll run at 1/2 throttle, even idle fairly good, but on going to WOT it dies after a few (30) seconds. Have re plumbed tank, repositioned tank, etc. changed out to bigger tubing, nothing seems to help. Have set low end as per manual. Have tried 5% fuel with low (12 -15 %) oil, even though new engine is not fully broken in. Been running 5% Cool POwer, 18% oil (1/2 Synthetic & 1/2 Castor) on all other (12 +) ST’s., mostly 90 & 75’s., and it runs them fine. Tried Omega 5% with 12% Castor, no better.Have tried every kind of glow plug out there, OS, FOX, McCoy, hot, cold, 4 S, makes no matter..When a one way check valve is installed in pressure line, runs fine @ WOT until it floods out. I’m stumped!! Have two of these NEW G-2000’s, plus have worn out one (connecting rod bearing/bushing which hangs on crankshaft).I need to figure out to to run ‘em!
Old 07-06-2011, 06:21 AM
Bax

From your description, you're just not getting fuel to the engine. That's made clear by the reference to a check valve that allows pressure buildup in the tank. You may not be getting good pressure from the muffler, the tank may be much, much too big, it may be too far from the engine, it may not be venting well, you may be getting air agitated into the fuel (makes it go lean), and so on. Has any of your running been on a test stand that is absolutely solid with a good fuel system?

What prop are you running at what RPM? That's also crucial. A too-large prop will certainly cause problems.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:06 AM

<span style="font-size: medium">Bill,
It's got something to do with the Perry 5100 carb. Venturi may be too big to allow fuel draw. Put late model (without dogleg in throttle barrel) carb with sleeve; same carb as on 90's, on &amp; after proper tuning on low end, it runs pretty good, with or without Perry oscillating/vibrating pump. Mid range is kinda rich &amp; boggy. Spray bar set at 45 degrees, i.e., fuel inlet cocked toward base. Which way should it be set? Carbs come with SB straight down,
Running 16 x 8 prop as per maual for break in, can go 18 x 6 or 8 later. Dubro 20 oz tank, big boreheavy klunks, tank wraped in foam, Super Tigre, rectangular Pitts style muffler, two outlets, baffles added in end of middle chamber.
I may have inadvertantly gotten hold of a Perry carb that requires his pressure type pump. Wonder I you tell the difference between the Perry carbs??
Thanks</span>
Old 07-07-2011, 05:50 AM
Bax

Here's how to set SuperTigre carbs:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1579985/tm.htm