Notices
SuperTigre Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions regarding the SuperTigre line of engines.

Need help starting a new engine

Old 12-31-2009, 06:04 PM
dendamd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help starting a new engine

My son in law bought a new Duratrax sx200 about a year ago with a super tigre g27cs motor in it......he was not able to start it then because of leaving for a job...now that he is back he wants to run the truck....but we cannot get it started. We have tried and tried but no luck. We are both new to this hobby and not much experience...I spent some time with RC planes a number of years ago...but this seems different.
We have the proper fuel....good glow plug fire....and plenty of fuel flow......but this thing justwill not fire up. Can anyone give us an idea of how to start this....any help would be greatly appreciated....Thanks!
Old 01-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Need help starting a new engine

If you have a good glow plug, good fuel, and good compression, the engine will run. If it won't fire at all, then it's either too dry of fuel, or very flooded.

To start the engine, you must first make sure it's dry of fuel. If you've been trying to start it, and it won't fire, then close the needle valve and then remove the glow plug. Put a rag over the glow plug hole and spin the engine over. The rag prevents any fuel from spitting up into your face. After doing this a bit, replace the glow plug, attach the starting battery, and turn the engine over. It should fire, but not keep running. Now, open the needle to recommended starting point and spin the engine. It should fire up and continue to run. You may have to pulse the throttle a bit because new engines don't have their settings found, and you'll have to adjust the high-speed and idle needles once the enigne's up and running.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:40 PM
dendamd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply.....We've tried just about everything, including drying out the engine.with the glow plug removed....even let it dry out overnight.....to no avail. Are you refering to the the high speed valve, the low speed valve or the idle speed valve......sorry to seem so clueless...but we really are new to this type of hobby.....
He spent a bunch of money for this truck...nearly $700.00 and it wont run......hes about ready to get rid of it and get an electric truck.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Usually, reference to "needle valve" means the high-speed needle, and then the idle needle is referred to as the "idle needle". If the engine seems to be impossible to start, you may want to locate an experienced modeler for help. When you have good fuel, a good glow plug, and good compression, an engine wil always fire. If it won't, there's a problem in technique somewhere.