Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 Are wooden rotor blades safer than carbon? >

Are wooden rotor blades safer than carbon?

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Are wooden rotor blades safer than carbon?

Old 09-28-2010, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are wooden rotor blades safer than carbon?

Hello,

I am a real newbie to electric helis. I've got lots of time on heli simulators (Real Flight 4.5 and ClearView), enough to show me that I will probably lose control sometimes. I have also flown a little Blade mSR BNF heli OK. Now I'd like to step up to a T-Rex 450 or a T-Rex 500. I am very concerned about the possibility of the heli hitting me or someone else. I hate to think about the injury possible if someone gets hit by spinning carbon-fiber or just plain fiberglass rotor blades. It seems o me that wooden blades would do less damage than those fiber blades.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very welcome.

Regards,

Ted

<input type="hidden" id="gwProxy"><!Session data></input><input type="hidden" id="jsProxy" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" /><div id="refHTML"></div>
Old 09-28-2010, 02:51 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Are wooden rotor blades safer than carbon?

ANY blade spinning at the rpm we use them at, is going to cause damage. I applaud your concern about safety. One is not safer than the other. They both will do a great deal of damage to wahever they hit. I've got a scar on my arm from a set of wooden blades. I quickly learned to stay away from them.

Wooden blades are just cheaper to replace. Always fly with PLENTY of space to allow you to make a few mistakes and not endanger someone or yourself. If necessary, dump the heli into the ground to prevent injury to yourself or a bystander.

Rafael
Old 09-28-2010, 03:45 PM

You do not want to get hit by any blades. All will do damage at the head speeds our heli's run. Follow the safety rules, don't fly around others & keep it a safe distance from you & you will do fine. For a list of safety rules see the posts on HeliFreak
Old 09-28-2010, 04:04 PM

Hi Rafael,

Thank you for your response. I wonder how it would have gone if the heli that hit you had had carbon-fiber blades.

Ted
<input type="hidden" id="gwProxy"><!Session data></input><input type="hidden" id="jsProxy" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" /><div id="refHTML"></div>
Old 09-28-2010, 04:27 PM

Probably the same if I had to guess. It's the rotor sped that gets you. Carbons are stronger & stiffer for there weight, & I'm not an engineer but I'm gusing the end result would have beeh the same. Just be as safe as you can, & like Rafeal said if it starts to come towards you DUMP it.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:11 PM

This is like debating on which gun you want to be shot with![X(] Avoid hitting anyone with any heli!
Old 09-28-2010, 05:12 PM

LOL

I agree
Old 09-29-2010, 08:22 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: tedkurtz
Hi Rafael ,
Thank you for your response. I wonder how it would have gone if the heli that hit you had had carbon-fiber blades.
Ted
ORIGINAL: augerin2
Probably the same if I had to guess. It's the rotor sped that gets you....
I agree. I've seen scars and injuries from both wood and carbon. Although the situation leading up to the accident have been vastly different, the end result is almost the same.

ORIGINAL: babyhuey
This is like debating on which gun you want to be shot with!
Again, I agree.

This debate is also brought up numerous times in airplane circles. People seem to think that wood prop are safer than nylon or crabon props. They all get you the same. the only difference is that the wood prop would probably break after impact while the nylon or carbon prop will go thru several revolutions before breaking or stopping. The damage is done, no matter what. But the damage is potentially less with wood props.

Rafael
Old 09-29-2010, 02:55 PM

Just picked up the October, 2010, copy of RC Heli. Extremely relevant. Look at page 14 where it shows a picture, with story, of how an electric heli with carbon-fiber blades almost took the pilot's hand off.

I wonder what his injuries would have been like if he was using wooden blades. As a real raw newbie I think I'll use wooden blades until I feel real confident about my ability to control the heli. That probably means that I'll have to use a T-Rex 420. I looked into a T-rex 500, a lot easier to fly, but Align no longer includes it in their list of products!

Ted
Old 09-29-2010, 06:12 PM

It's a Trex 450, and wood blades are great for beginers. Forget hitting yourself they are alot cheeper to replace. Your going to tear up far more learing to fly at first and you can get good deals on e-bay on woodies. Do you have a SIM ? If not get one it will help save you money in the long run.
If you don't belong to a club concider joining one the support & help you'll get will be invaluable. Cloud Dancer RC is right in Dartmouth on Hixville Rd. If not and you want a specific heli club I'd strongley reccomend the New Enland Heli Crew. Field is in Manfield, bit of a ride but great bunch of guys.
If you buy Trex kit which I would again reccommend, building it will help greatly when it comes time to fix it. I live local if you need help you can contact me either through this forum, HeliFreak at Raptorg2zman or my personal e-mail [email protected]