Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 belt convert to torque tube? Can you? >

belt convert to torque tube? Can you?

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

belt convert to torque tube? Can you?

Old 10-20-2010, 08:16 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default belt convert to torque tube? Can you?

Does anyone out there know if I can switch the belt driven tail assembly on a 450 SE V2 to a torque tube tail rotor? I am awaiting a 450 SEV2 bought from one of the RCuniverse members, and wondered if I can simply switch the tail assembly to a torque tube one from a 450 Pro.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:23 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 369 Likes on 297 Posts
Default RE: belt convert to torque tube? Can you?

Why do you think you need a torque tube?
Old 10-20-2010, 08:50 PM

"Why do you think you need a torque tube?"

Because Ihave one and the tail slider is so much smother as well as the drive mechanism. Any other informative replies?
Old 10-21-2010, 09:28 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 369 Likes on 297 Posts

The tail pitch slider is the same on either, we're talking about the drive mechanisim.

For what its worth (trying to be informative here) a properly setup belt drive (not too much tension as I usually find in peoples setups) is just as smooth and free running, and a lot less prone to problems like stripped gears than a TT.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, I've never bothered to convert any of mine so I can't give you a detailed explanation of parts compatibility. I have flown both and wouldn't bother to do the conversion on any of my machines personally though.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:14 AM

ORIGINAL: joe_crash

Does anyone out there know if I can switch the belt driven tail assembly on a 450 SE V2 to a torque tube tail rotor? I am awaiting a 450 SEV2 bought from one of the RCuniverse members, and wondered if I can simply switch the tail assembly to a torque tube one from a 450 Pro.

Can it be done? yes. absolutely. and its quite easy. They are alittle more efficient than the belt system. But there are cavats.
If you're still learning and have frequent hard landings, chances are you're going to strip torque gears, whereas a belt would probably be just fine.
Crash repairs will be more expensive than the belt version.

so, when you're still learning the basics stick with a belt as it is much more forgiving.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:50 PM

http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=331298
Here's the link from the site I bought my TT conversion from. There was a huge difference as far as I was concerned about how much more connected the tail felt. The only drawback is that it makes it a bit tail heavy. I'm using denser 45C batteries and scooted them forward a bit. Works like a charm.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:25 PM

I just converted my clone Pro from belt to TT. For all Align, it cost me $106 total. I am not prone to hitting the tail anymore and have had problems recently with belts. So I got fed up and went TT.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:21 PM

Actually, BarracudaHockey, on my SE V2 the tail block is most definately NOT the same. I bought it used from an ad on this site and it has a plastic tail case and is most definately not as smooth as the machined metal one on my Pro. That is the one of the main reasons I wanted to upgrade. I thought just about every heli flyer upgraded inferior parts on their bird, but Iguess some can't tell the difference.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:19 AM

ORIGINAL: joe_crash

Actually, BarracudaHockey, on my SE V2 the tail block is most definately NOT the same. I bought it used from an ad on this site and it has a plastic tail case and is most definately not as smooth as the machined metal one on my Pro. That is the one of the main reasons I wanted to upgrade. I thought just about every heli flyer upgraded inferior parts on their bird, but Iguess some can't tell the difference.
I have to agee with you on this one.. I have a Pro TT, a 450 GT and a 450 V2 and the tails assemblies are all different.. the PRO is by far the smoothest with the best geometry. The V2 is actually next best, even though the parts are plastic.. The GT has a metal tail assembly but the geometry has one tiny flaw.. if the tail slider moves inwards towards the belt drive too far, the arms can move "Over centre" thereby jamming it in that position.. It happens every time when I use the servo to full deflection on the ground stationary.. fortunately in practice this is not a problem as the aerodynamic forces on the tail rotor blades assist in preventing it from jamming in the over centred position..

With the V2, it never comes close to over centre.. and the PRO is even more conservative.. it is very nicely designed and has the "chinese weight" mod built in... Overall the Pro tail is far superior..

Here is a video that compares all 3....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp1SFDkIIBo[/youtube]

I flyall three regularly at least 5 flights per day on each heli., and in my humble experience the TT on the Pro is a clear winner forsmoothness and it sounds the best also...

My 3 girls...

Old 11-07-2010, 09:34 AM

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

The tail pitch slider is the same on either, .
I beg to differ.. the physical parts look the same but the geometry is very different on all three...see my video..

Old 11-07-2010, 05:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

The tail pitch slider is the same on either, .
I beg to differ.. see my video..

The Lever and slider are the same on all three helis in your video. The difference is in the shaft length. On the Pro, if you center the slider on the shaft, you will see that the blades have 0 pitch but on the v1/v2 you will see some positive pitch counteracting the rotation of the head is built into the design. This is why many people are switching the grips on the Pro from leading to lagging control or grinding a flat on the end of the shaft to move the hub farther out.

Here is a good video explaining this in more detail from someone that knows a lot more than me [link=http://video.helifreak.com/?subpath=/finless/trex450pro&filename=otherhelis.wmv]Finless link[/link].
Old 11-07-2010, 10:25 PM

ORIGINAL: grawyl

The Lever and slider are the same on all three helis in your video. The difference is in the shaft length. On the Pro, if you center the slider on the shaft, you will see that the blades have 0 pitch but on the v1/v2 you will see some positive pitch counteracting the rotation of the head is built into the design. This is why many people are switching the grips on the Pro from leading to lagging control or grinding a flat on the end of the shaft to move the hub farther out.

Here is a good video explaining this in more detail from someone that knows a lot more than me [link=http://video.helifreak.com/?subpath=/finless/trex450pro&filename=otherhelis.wmv]Finless link[/link].
Thanks for the video link.. I tried all 3 as per the Finless video.. the Pro and the V2 actually have slight negative pitch on mine when the arm is at 90 as per Bob's video.. the GT has positive pitch..

They all fly fine with zero issues for me so far... My video was also to show that the geometry of the tails are different.. I'd put the pro tail on all my helis but at the moment there is no need to..

Old 11-08-2010, 12:34 AM

But the PRO tail geometry is all wrong. the pitches are smaller than the stock v2 I think align. For this small 450 heli is TT really that advisable.. I don't see the advantage over a well maintained belt driven tail one.. both can perform nice 3D.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:49 AM

ORIGINAL: soneebee

But the PRO tail geometry is all wrong. the pitches are smaller than the stock v2 I think align. For this small 450 heli is TT really that advisable.. I don't see the advantage over a well maintained belt driven tail one.. both can perform nice 3D.
Yes, but the tail rotor blades on the Pro are longer and with a higher aspect ratio...

Agreed that a belt is just as good to fly with..my 2 belt helis fly perfectly.. I just like the sound of the TT and to me it is "psychologically better" because its is like the real helis I used to fly..

Just my opinion though...

Old 11-08-2010, 12:56 AM

Sorry posted in the wrong forum...

how do you delete a post?</p>