Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 HK500GT Tail Gear Stripping >

HK500GT Tail Gear Stripping

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

HK500GT Tail Gear Stripping

Old 11-06-2010, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HK500GT Tail Gear Stripping

I built an HK500Gt, and replaced the Tail Assembly and the tail gear (front). Today, the tail gear stripped again (Align Part). I see that the space between the autoration gear and the tail gear is a bit too wide, probably causing the gear to strip. I have a Turnigy Plush 80A and although I did program it for slow start, I find that it does start a bit too brisk, and that could also be the cause of the gear stripping. Anyone else have seen this problem or have any recommendation to fix? I might change the autorotation gear as well as the tail gear just to be on the safe site.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:23 PM

Default RE: HK500GT Tail Gear Stripping

Some have reported that the tail boom is a little too long resulting in an overly tight belt which leads to gear failure.
On my HK600, this was true also, even though the HK boom is the same length as the corresponding Align boom. I shortend the boom a little at the front end to adjust the tension.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:56 PM

Thanks,

I just shaved about 1/8 off the tail boom to loosen the belt, replaced the tail gear and autorotation gear. The blades turn much smoother by hand as well. I didn't take it up for a flight yet, just spun the blades indoors, and everything looks fine without vibration.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:16 AM

I took off 3/8" and milled the slot slightly deeper. Too much but it should be ok.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:33 AM
My Feedback: (9)

It's easier (or was for me) to shorten the back end of the boom!
Old 11-20-2010, 02:46 PM

Well I was having the same problem with my hk t500 i did make a mod to the tail boom and had my tension adjusted right

I have put 4 drive gears into this heli I have dicided that with out doing frame mod it will be a lost cause the spacing is just too far apart

the last time I spooled it up it stripped the main gear also before it even got airborn

That was the last straw it is now dismanteled and all part's are moved to a different heli

I might add that the only thing that wasn't changed to align was the frame sides

so good luck on improving your's
Old 11-20-2010, 09:19 PM

I was successful in shortening the tail boom, replace the tail gear and autorotation gear. The tail is uunit is now metal, and the heli is running smooth. Spinup and shutdown are smooth. Heli behaves very well.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:39 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Since making the frame mods, using an Align autorotaion gear and HK tail drive gear, and installing the longer vertical tail fin, the gears are fine and I've had plenty of instances that would have stripped out the gears everything from turning off the throttle hold while the throttle is a midstick, and lots of learning landings.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:19 PM

I appreciate the info. Align 600 tail gear seems to be harder to find than other parts, while main gear assemblies are much easier to find, and fairly inexpensive.

With the Align tail gear, where you able to add tension to the belt?
Old 11-22-2010, 10:06 PM

No change in tension by replacing the Align gear. I did strip an Align tail gear before making the other changes. Since the belt was too tight in the first place, shortening the boom was required to get the correct tension. The Align autorotation gear might be a bit larger ensuring a better fit between the two gears preventing the gear from stripping.