Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

crooked flips

Old 11-07-2010, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crooked flips

trex 450 seV2
stock motor 13th.pinion
carbon blades
flybar weights in center
10 pitch +&-

when i do flips, the bird flips crooked and slow. I changed from the 12th. pinion and it got better.flipped really slow before. seems to lean to the left when flipped over. also when flipping it flips slow. it does not flip in one spot, more like a large flip or roll. I had somebody what my stick movement and they did not notice any crooked movement on my part. could be pilot error,not sure. this is my first few attempts at flipping , have about 10 now and they all flip the same. thanks
Old 11-07-2010, 05:42 PM

Default RE: crooked flips

First off, I would loose the flybar weights.

What Paddles are you using. Paddles will make a huge impact on how fast it will flip and how steady if flies. I am flying a 450 Pro and a while back I crashed and busted a paddle so in stead of buying a new set, I used an old one from an old EXI V2 kit I had laying around. At first I thought that when I rebuilt the heli I did something wrong because the stability at a hover was not good and flips and roles were sluggish. After going through it over and over without finding anything wrong, I decided to try another set of paddles. This time it was a set of CF paddles with exactly the same shape as the Pro paddles. WOW. What a difference! It was stable in a hover, FF was smooth and flips were on the spot. Two totally different helicopters just by changing the paddles.

Also, how much cyclic pitch? I have found a good fast flip will require 6-7 degrees of cyclic pitch.

The crooked flip could be many things. Warn dampeners or gyro not holding and possibly the weights on the flybar causing some unwanted gyroscopic procession. Also, make sure you are applying negative pitch in your flip or it turns into a loop.

My fist step would be to drop the weights and check the cyclic pitch. If that doesn't get you where you want to be, look into another set of paddles.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:32 AM

thanks, I will remove the weights and see what happens, also i have some lighter paddles, (3.5g) I could try also. I am also running the longer flybar that comes with the SEV2, should I try the 190 bar?
Old 11-09-2010, 11:21 AM

ORIGINAL: jfast

thanks, I will remove the weights and see what happens, also i have some lighter paddles, (3.5g) I could try also. I am also running the longer flybar that comes with the SEV2, should I try the 190 bar?
Yes my flip rate doubled when I removed the weights on an EXI450... still using stock paddles though..

have you checked that your swashplate is totally level throughout the pitch range? also when you pull elevator, do the aileron and pitch servos move an equal amount?

a minor diference in the throw of those two servos could be inducing roll as you attempt to pitch...

just a few things to check...
Old 11-09-2010, 08:33 PM

the lighter the paddles the faster it goes... so remove the weight and see if it will be faster...
Old 11-09-2010, 10:02 PM

I have a dx6i radio, I raised the cyclic pitch, was at 50%, to 55%, I noticed i had little cyclic throw,, i did check the swash plate appears to be moving level. Hope too fly this weekend. we will see how it reacts.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:08 PM

ORIGINAL: jfast

I have a dx6i radio, I raised the cyclic pitch, was at 50%, to 55%, I noticed i had little cyclic throw,, i did check the swash plate appears to be moving level. Hope too fly this weekend. we will see how it reacts.
I use a DX6i on an EXI 450.. my settings are 85% Aileron 85% Elevator - 75% pitch... It flips really fast..
Old 11-09-2010, 10:47 PM

the higher the swash % the faster the cyclics..
Old 11-28-2010, 08:39 PM

moved swash plate % up to 75% ,, now she flips like I want it to.