Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 Trex 550e flybar vs flybarless >

Trex 550e flybar vs flybarless

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Trex 550e flybar vs flybarless

Old 11-16-2010, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trex 550e flybar vs flybarless

Hey guys! to start off, i have a blade 400 and im pretty sure its time for me to move on to a bigger easier heli to see. The biggest heli i can afford and want is the trex 550e. At first i was looking at just the flybar version because i thought i wasnt ready for the flybarless yet. than i realized for the price i might aswell get the best one!
So my question is which heli is better to fly? like more stable and just smoother and easier/calmer to fly?
im thinking about going scale or just staying at sport flying so im not really interested in Extreme 3d, possibly just loops and rolls and maybe inverted when im good, but i know the flybar version can handle that.
so im just wondering what makes the flybarless version so much better? and does it sound like the better choice for my type of flying?
I was also thinking it would save some money on crash repairs and time because i wouldnt have to worry about flybars. Is this a true fact?
And last i heard some bad things about the stock 3G system. Can anyone agree or disagree to this?
If i got the 550 FBL i would not have the money to upgrade the 3G system right away so this is post is mostly the STOCK 550e flybar vs the STOCK 550e flybarless for which is better from my flying style.

I know little about flybarless machines so can you guys please help me?
It will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 11-17-2010, 07:05 AM

Default RE: Trex 550e flybar vs flybarless

I'd go flybarless if you can afford it. I think it will suit you better in the long run. As far as the 3G system goes I don't own one but some of the guys in my club New England Heli Crew own the system and fly it. I guess according to reading club blogs there was some minor bugs in the 3G system. The newer versions work well. The older system's bugs were fixed by on line firmware updates I believe the issue was with how the tail gyro held, piro rates etc.
I want to get one myself but will probably have to wait for spring at least. If you could find a kit without the 3G unit or find someone who would sell it to you with out the 3G alot of guys in the club really like the Skookum 720 units, and also the mikado V-bar units.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:02 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 369 Likes on 297 Posts

FLB = less parts in the head = less inertia = faster cyclic reponse. Also since you're spinning less parts the battery lasts a little longer.

Now, that fast cyclic response can be dialed out if you're sport flying, but why bother?

As for better, thats a matter of personal taste, they fly a bit differently but "better" depends on what you're after.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:08 PM

ORIGINAL: augerin2

I'd go flybarless if you can afford it. I think it will suit you better in the long run. As far as the 3G system goes I don't own one but some of the guys in my club New England Heli Crew own the system and fly it. I guess according to reading club blogs there was some minor bugs in the 3G system. The newer versions work well. The older system's bugs were fixed by on line firmware updates I believe the issue was with how the tail gyro held, piro rates etc.
I want to get one myself but will probably have to wait for spring at least. If you could find a kit without the 3G unit or find someone who would sell it to you with out the 3G alot of guys in the club really like the Skookum 720 units, and also the mikado V-bar units.
Okay thank you very much! i was thinking the flybarless would be neat, it seems to be how most helis are now. I can afford it, but thats my limit for sure! it saves some money to get it now than get the 550e flybar and put the flybarless system in, so i might as well. I always thought that it the flybarless was used for more aggresive flying. Is it really alot more stable than a normal 550e flybar version? i guess for me comeing from the 400, which ever i choose will be alot more stable!
Also what about price? does it save money repairing after a crash since there is less parts? it probable saves a heck of alot of time?
and last thing for a flybarless system, is that something that has to be changed and well "tweaked" on a regular basis? (similar to tuning a nitro) or do you just play with it until its dialed in and then you're set ? also if you crash will you have to "re-adjust" the settings in the program, or do you just have to repair the heli and start flying?

gosh that was confusing i guess in sort terms: is the 3g system an initial setup, or is it ongoing?
once again thanks!!
Old 11-17-2010, 12:11 PM

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

FLB = less parts in the head = less inertia = faster cyclic reponse. Also since you're spinning less parts the battery lasts a little longer.

Now, that fast cyclic response can be dialed out if you're sport flying, but why bother?

As for better, thats a matter of personal taste, they fly a bit differently but ''better'' depends on what you're after.
okay thanks!
and when you mean fly different. what do you mean? since ive never really flown one? lets say i wanted the heli to fly more stable like a 600, handle some winds, and i guess calmer to fly. should i go flybar or flybarless? or can you tweak the 3G system to fly like that?
Old 11-17-2010, 01:31 PM

[color=#000066]3G unit sets up similer to a normal gyro. It should be a 1 time set up thing, except to tweek it, as you get better at flying & want to dial in more response. You can dial it to be stable, however the Skookum 720 unit offers more in this area up to a counter rotator amount of stability & I think the auto bail out feature is now operational..
As far as flying differant. everyone I talk to says that it's a "feel thing" so I've been told. My friend Joe who owns 2 of the Skookum flybarless units. They are pre prodution test units he was given by Skookum to test. He says the big differance he noted is when he's flying hard 3D. not a bad thing just slightly differant feel.
Hope this helps
[/color]
Old 11-17-2010, 03:07 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 369 Likes on 297 Posts

Add weights to the flybar and you make it stable (and less aerobatic)

You can do the same thing by tweaking the settings on a Mikado V-Bar, I assume its close or the same on any other FBL unit.

Personally, as a beginner, I wouldn't bother with it.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:11 PM

Thank you that helps alot, I was told it's good for 3d, but i still dont know if it's better for hovering, ff, and just sport flying? Like as far a calmness or stabity? Is it less stable and calm then a flybar? Or more?
Old 11-17-2010, 03:16 PM

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Add weights to the flybar and you make it stable (and less aerobatic)

You can do the same thing by tweaking the settings on a Mikado V-Bar, I assume its close or the same on any other FBL unit.

Personally, as a beginner, I wouldn't bother with it.
Okay thanks but I was thinking just to save money on repair costs, ad since I'm probably not going to upgrade to another heli in a while I was thinking just going big with the flbybarless and it would be cheaper than upgrading later. I just wasn't sure if you can make it stable. I guess you can!! Thanks