Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 WHAT DID I DO WRONG?!? (ESC FIRE!!) zOMG!! >

WHAT DID I DO WRONG?!? (ESC FIRE!!) zOMG!!

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

WHAT DID I DO WRONG?!? (ESC FIRE!!) zOMG!!

Old 11-26-2010, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHAT DID I DO WRONG?!? (ESC FIRE!!) zOMG!!

Long story short, I was spooling up my new built Trex 500esp for its 7th or 8th flight, when suddenly white smoke started spewing out of the ESC accompanied with a nasty burning plastic smell.

Im pretty new to heli's (this was my very first heli) so I'd like to know what I did wrong (though I dont think I did anything wrong)

My setup:

Trex 500esp
Scorpion HK 3026-1400KV w/ 15t pinion
Scorpion 26V 90A ESC commander series
6S Hyperion G3 VX 35C 2600
Western Robotics BEC 6S 10A *and yes, I did disconnect the red wire on the ESC to disable the scorpions built in SBEC

I was running governor mode on the ESC (mode 2 - medium correction)
I had flat throttle curves on my DX7SE
0-75-75-75-75 normal
80-80-80-80-80 idle 1
90-90-90-90-90 idle 2

I was on normal mode when the incident happened

The ESC, Motor and battery were never hot at the conclusion of the previous successful flights, I dont have any temps, but I could touch them without feeling like they were burning my hands.

I honestly dont think I did anything wrong, I did alot of research in forums like this prior to purchasing, assembling and setting up, but then again I am a noob.

Based on the stats I gave, did I do something wrong? or did I just by a faulty ESC? and if it is the manufacturers fault, does anyone out there have any experience with dealing with scorpion and warranty replacements? Was it pretty easy or did they give you the run around?

Thanks in advance to all who respond!!

Nore

<br type="_moz" />
Old 11-26-2010, 11:28 PM

Default RE: WHAT DID I DO WRONG?!? (ESC FIRE!!) zOMG!!

Could be faulty ESC. If it was Horizon Hobby, I'd say call them. I did on a previous heli, and they sent me a new part no questions asked. I'm not famliar wth running a separate BEC and don't know what manufaturer says about disabling the internal SBEC. I'd be interested in knowing why you decided to go that route. I have a 500, and use an Turnigy Plush 80A ESC.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:50 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Hi Nore,

And terribly sorry for what sounds like a burned ESC.

I really haven't heard anything bad about Scorpion ESC's so I would definitely contact Scorpion directly, tell them all the parameters you listed and see what they have to say.

Next, do you have the Align ESC that came with the ESP kit? If so, I would hook that up, set all the throttle settings to zero, and check to make sure you didn't lose any of your servo's in the process.

Hope Scorpion can help you out.

Mark
Old 11-27-2010, 01:55 AM

ORIGINAL: gi1mo2

Could be faulty ESC. If it was Horizon Hobby, I'd say call them. I did on a previous heli, and they sent me a new part no questions asked. I'm not famliar wth running a separate BEC and don't know what manufaturer says about disabling the internal SBEC. I'd be interested in knowing why you decided to go that route. I have a 500, and use an Turnigy Plush 80A ESC.

Hi gi1mo2,

Thanks for your reply! I ran a separate BEC because I was afraid that the total amp draw from my servos, align 3g and rx would be too much. The internal scorpion BEC is rated for 4amp max burst and i think a continuous 3 amp only. I have 3x JR3517 and a futaba BLS251 also align 3g fbl and spektrum AR7100
<br type="_moz" />
Old 11-27-2010, 01:58 AM

ORIGINAL: Aframomum

Hi Nore,

I really haven't heard anything bad about Scorpion ESC's so I would definitely contact Scorpion directly, tell them all the parameters you listed and see what they have to say.

Next, do you have the Align ESC that came with the ESP kit? If so, I would hook that up, set all the throttle settings to zero, and check to make sure you didn't lose any of your servo's in the process.

Mark
Hey Mark,

Thanks for your reply! Yea I got lucky...fortunately I saved the heli. Yup all my servos fortunately still work. Since I'm running a separate BEC, I could still test them out.
<br type="_moz" />
Old 11-27-2010, 02:01 AM

ORIGINAL: Aframomum

Hi Nore,

Mark

Also I sent an email to scorpion directly AND innov8tivedesigns (since I guess they're the US distributor) I hope it all works out. Sheesh I hate it when I get faulty stuff. I think I'll get CC or save up and just get Kontronik next time around.
<br type="_moz" />