Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 What T-Rex to buy...What else do I need? >

What T-Rex to buy...What else do I need?

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

What T-Rex to buy...What else do I need?

Old 01-05-2011, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What T-Rex to buy...What else do I need?

Hey Guys,

Well... I am planning on making the move from a toy / co-axhelicopters to the cp. Iwould like to do it right the first time and get the right chopper from the start. I was tempted to go with a KDS 450C,After much reading online, I thinkI will buck up and go withtheoriginal T-rex. I was thinking of sticking with the 450 size, but after reading reviews and opinions about the T-rex 500 and talking with the nearest HS, the consensus seems to be that the 500 is much more stable because of it's size. Does anyone have any experience or opinion on this.

I feel my expectations are realistic, this whole process / learningis going to go real slow as a newbie. I just want topurchase the right machine from the start, something I can grow with.

If I purchase either a 450or a 500 super combo,will the servos thatgo with the combo,work/ syncup with a Spectrum 6 or7? Any opinions on the Spectrum radios?

Iknowwhat thecosts will befor the radio and the combo. What else do I have to add to this package to get me operating and functioning?Ibelieve I need a charger and some other stuff, I am just not sure what. What do you think these extra items would cost to getme going.

My plan is to build the bird andput it on a shelf and spend sometime on a Phoenix simulator.

Thanks forreading over mypost!

Matt

Old 01-06-2011, 05:53 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 369 Likes on 297 Posts
Default RE: What T-Rex to buy...What else do I need?

ORIGINAL: MattE71

the consensus seems to be that the 500 is much more stable because of it's size. Does anyone have any experience or opinion on this.
Yes, absolutely! Easier to see, more stable and easier to fly.

If I purchase either a 450 or a 500 super combo, will the servos that go with the combo, work / sync up with a Spectrum 6 or 7? Any opinions on the Spectrum radios?
Servos and gyros these days use universal connections. No problem there. Plus the combo will give you confidence that the speed controller, motor, and pinion gear are all going to work well together.
Spektrum is a great radio. It will cost you a few more dollars but if you think you're going to progress to bigger nitro helis at some point, get a DX7 or DX8. If you're going to stick with electric then a DX6i is fine though either of the other radios I mentioned are more feature filled, and have a better display and better programming. A decent radio is an investment in the hobby and if you get a good one you wont need another for a long time.

I know what the costs will be for the radio and the combo. What else do I have to add to this package to get me operating and functioning? I believe I need a charger and some other stuff, I am just not sure what. What do you think these extra items would cost to get me going.
Not sure what you're after as far as a combo but you will need at a minimum

Kit
Motor
ESC
Lipo Batttery (and an extra or two so you can fly more)
Lipo capable charger
3 servos for cyclic/collective pitch
Gyro rudder servo combo

Some basic hand tools like a small metric allen wrench or driver set, blue locktite, small JIS (phillips) screw drivers
My plan is to build the bird and put it on a shelf and spend sometime on a Phoenix simulator.

Thanks for reading over my post!

Matt
Good plan. Find some help with checking over your build and setup, plus heli guys are usually cool to hang out with.
Good luck!

[/quote]
Old 01-07-2011, 12:58 PM
My Feedback: (6)

I cannot stress this point enough BUY THE TREX 500. It is a wonderful heli that goes together and flies great. It is a size that you will fly for a long time and not get tired of. The difference in price far outweighs the difference in size and stability between the 2.

I love my 450, but the 500 is my preference between the two....hands down. It is easy to work on andthe servos are easy to access. 6S Batteries are much more affordable. When you cut your teeth on that, then it's time for the Trex 550E LOVE IT!

Size Comparison for ya:

Old 01-08-2011, 05:32 PM

Thank you both for the replys and advise!

Wow that is quite a difference is size! Ididn't realize that there was that much difference between the two!

I am going to buy either a Spektrum 6i or the 7 and the Phoenix sim and the 500. Iwill build the 500 and let it sit until such time that I can handle the sim well.

Any recomendations for batteries or chargers? Is the 6s the one to get?

Thanks!

Old 01-09-2011, 05:42 AM

I run a DX6i with my 600.... I would have done for a 7i or 8i but for the price it's just fine using at least an AR6200 rx.
I personally love my Thunder Power packs even though higher priced, I also have been using Hyperion chargers and for 3 years and not 1 problem.

I have the EOS0615i DUO3 because it allows me to charge multiple packs at the same time.
Max amps has a few nice balancing chargers for a start to look into...

Good luck, you won't regret going TREX-500 over the 450!

Heck I would have gone 700 over the 600 but couldn't stomach paying $600 for one flight of batteries
If the wallet is deep go big!

Old 01-09-2011, 11:52 AM

Yes sir, 6S is the way to go.

An affordable battery for the 500 is http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=16216. (And it ships within the USA). You only need a couple to have fun in the beginning. They give 4-5 minute flights.

Make sure to time your flights for the sake of not over discharging the batteries and read this http://www.bvmjets.com/Pages/Required_Reading.htm (Also click on Battery Basics)..

Old 01-09-2011, 05:35 PM

So chargers for these batteries don't shut down when the batteries reach a full charge? I am in Canada, I should be able to find a retailer / web site that hasd these. The Hobby King web site say's they only ship to the USA.

Do you guys think I should get some sim time on the 500 before actually buying the helicopter?

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2011, 10:08 PM

I say yes for the SIM! I went from a blade msr to a blade 400, then to a big TREX. no SIM and I can fly but no where near people with SIM time. I need a SIM so I can become comfortable with inverted flight...etc
Old 01-15-2011, 11:08 PM

If you plan on being serious in the Hobby, skip the DX6I and the DX7.  The DX6I is an ok radio, but lacks capabilities and doesn't have a great feel.  I found the DX7 horrible!  Programming it and scrolling around the different function was such a pain in the buttocks!  I would go with either a DX8 or a JR radio.  I got a used 9303 and the differences from using the DX6I is big.  I don't use all the channels, but the programming and being usable is so much better.  Get a good radio and it will carry you for a long time.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:31 AM

Ha! Well I just purchased the Dx7 online and its due to arrive tomorrow. I guess I will have to tough through it, if it's that bad. I thought it had a good reputation?

When looking at the new 500's that are for sale, I see the are different models or series. They look like this...KX017012T and others ending in 7011a, 7011, 7008, 7008a. Is the only difference fly bar less models and super combos. Is there a difference between the super combo and the superior combo?

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2011, 10:25 AM

None of the Spektrum's are bad, get that notion out of your head.
Yes the lower level DX's don't have the tuning as stated but if you can fly, then you can fly with a 7 year old FM Futaba with no digital screen too.

Just come down to how much can you afford for ease of tuning operation...etc
Old 01-18-2011, 01:23 PM

Yeah, the DX7 isa <u>solid radio</u> that can last you a long time.There is some brand loyalty out there, but Ithink that Spektrum, Futaba, and JRmake good quality gear. Ipersonally fly Futaba but would never take away from the quality offered by Spektrum.

As far as the difference between super and superior combos, Ibelieve they are one in the same and just a matter of perceived translation from the Asian manufacturer (Align) to the American Vendor.

The Trex 500ESPkit should include the following either way:

500MBrushless Motor
1 DS520 Tail servo
3 DS510 Cyclic Servos
425D Carbon Fiber Main Blades
1 GP780 Gyro
1 60A Brushless ESC

One distinction is that the 500MX upgraded motor is now on the market. I am not sure if the new kits include it, but a good vendor may consider swapping it in for the 500M. The 500MX has abit more power and runs a little smoother, from what I hear. Also, you might want to look for the "M"designation after the Servo description DS510 (M).It stands for metal gear and is a little tougher should you crash. Now, with that said, if you find a great deal and the standard plastic servos are offered, jump on it.

The stock gear, out of box, is good quality stuff and will bring you years of reliable performance that can out-fly your ability. Understand, there are a lot of threads where people offer up "MUSTHAVE" upgrades like Radix Blades and Scorpion Motors. Try not to get wrapped up in the hype.A lot of it is generated by the companies that produce the upgrades to get a little "Must Have" cash out of you. You will love the combo.Follow the directions and have fun...
Old 01-18-2011, 09:54 PM

ORIGINAL: sportboater

Yeah, the DX7 is a <u>solid radio</u> that can last you a long time. There is some brand loyalty out there, but I think that Spektrum, Futaba, and JR make good quality gear. I personally fly Futaba but would never take away from the quality offered by Spektrum.

As far as the difference between super and superior combos, I believe they are one in the same and just a matter of perceived translation from the Asian manufacturer (Align) to the American Vendor.

The Trex 500ESP kit should include the following either way:

500M Brushless Motor
1 DS520 Tail servo
3 DS510 Cyclic Servos
425D Carbon Fiber Main Blades
1 GP780 Gyro
1 60A Brushless ESC

One distinction is that the 500MX upgraded motor is now on the market. I am not sure if the new kits include it, but a good vendor may consider swapping it in for the 500M. The 500MX has a bit more power and runs a little smoother, from what I hear. Also, you might want to look for the ''M'' designation after the Servo description DS510 (M). It stands for metal gear and is a little tougher should you crash. Now, with that said, if you find a great deal and the standard plastic servos are offered, jump on it.

The stock gear, out of box, is good quality stuff and will bring you years of reliable performance that can out-fly your ability. Understand, there are a lot of threads where people offer up ''MUST HAVE'' upgrades like Radix Blades and Scorpion Motors. Try not to get wrapped up in the hype. A lot of it is generated by the companies that produce the upgrades to get a little ''Must Have'' cash out of you. You will love the combo. Follow the directions and have fun...

Thanks very much for the reply (again)!

I will have a look for the M designation! That is really good to know....Thank you! I could go through a list of other birds that I was looking at and almost all were cheaper, smaller, but in the end and after much reading it is hard to disregard the consistant quality manufacturing of the Align product and the stability of the 500 size. I didn't / don't want to spend this much, but at the end of the day I don't want to have any regrets by going cheap.

I will also keep a look out for the MX motor!
Old 04-26-2011, 10:04 AM

I have a 500 and love it and I am by no means a 3d pilot. On chargers there are quite a few you can choose from. In general the more you pay the better the charger. I have a FMA 10S and have been using it to charge all my Lipo batteries with 0% issues. One thing you want to do is practice on the sim evey day until you feel confident. What I did was buy the FMA copilot and that has saved my plenty of money in repairs. I have about 30 + flights with it and 0 crashes. To me it was worth the 200$.
You would think I work for FMA .. I don`t I just like thier products.
I buy all my batteries from HK and they have been good so far but here again depending how much you want to spend there are better out there but for my type of flying they do me well.
I use a 5 cell in mine and I get about 6 min flying time.
I would also look at Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos http://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60
Good luck
Old 04-26-2011, 02:04 PM
My Feedback: (2)

There used to be a difference in the different types of kits lke super combo and superior combo, the difference was torque tube vs. belt drive but with the bigger helis at least seems like Align is getting away from the belt drive. As for the kits go they are great helicopter. I just bought a 550E flybarless and its a great heli, have had a few problems on set up just because it is my first flybarless and i don't know it to well. I have started hovering it the other day and it flies awesome once tuned in, it isn't set up perfect yet but its getting there. I would personally recommend the flybarless but the flybar version will give you a little better skills I think. As for the MX motors the kit I purchased said I was going to recieve the older M version but when it arrived I got the MX. I ordered mine from amainhobbies.com and I would highly recommend them they have top notch customer service and they seem to go out of there way to make there customers happy.</p>
Old 05-05-2011, 04:44 AM

the bigger the better.
I'd not buy a trex450 if i were a beginner.
450 helis are nervous.
most of us usually start with a 450 because it is cheaper and because we are kind of afraid of big helis, but once you've been bitten you won't be happy with a 450 only and will want to have a bigger heli in the near future. so, save a few bucks and buy a bigger heli.
it will give you more joy and make the learning easier.
once you are flying well your bigger helis you can think of buying a 450 to use it as beater, since its maintenance is way cheaper.
just remember, the bigger the heli, the more expensive to have it it is.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:59 PM