Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Tarot 500 build

Old 02-07-2011, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tarot 500 build

Hi guys I have a blade MSR and SR (which im still learing on). Anyway im having so much fun with these I decided to try and build a 500 series clone for my first real RC helicopter. I need some help with the build. I searched around a bunch on what clone to get and ended up buying a Tarot 500ESP from miracle mart. Price was $165 and it had all the metal upgrades and included blades which seemed like a good deal. The Tarot seems to be a direct copy off the T-rex unlike the HK/EXI/ETC which have some differences and known issues.

I got the EMS shipping and it arrived in Canada in about a week and a half which wasnt too bad. Initial impressions when opening the box were a little dissapointing. First thing i noticed was the canopy. They had very nice clearcoat finish on the canopy but unfortunatly they forgot to let it dry before putting it in a plastic bag. At least 80% of the canopy is coverd in terrible looking very deep wrinkles from the plastic bag, also has a weird texture from the holes in the bag all over it. Looks terrible. Next thing was the blades. I planned on buying a spair set of blades but the white ones were out of stock, they had blue in stock but they looked terrible so I didnt bother with the spairs for now. I specifically e-mailed the seller to ask if the kit was supplied with one set of white blades which he confirmed. But when I opened the box here was a terrible looking set of blue blades. I know its just a color but its frustrating since I specifically asked the seller beforehand. They seem like nice quality blades i must admit.

I left it for a few days before trying any assembly. I was surprized to see that none of the head had been assembled like it is in most other clones. So I finally decide to do some assembly a couple days ago and on the very first step ran into major problems. When i tightened the screws on the flybar seesaw I was getting major biniding. Bearing pockets were not deep enough in the seesaw and it was tightening on the seesaw before the sholder of the bolt came tight. Getting a little frustrated at this point because every single component I unwrapped at this point (canopy, blades and main rotor parts) had major problems. Anyway I carefully filed down the back of the seesaw until the shoulder bolt could be tightned the way it should be. No metal contact now but the bearings were overtightened and notchy. I carefully bent the seesaw together about 0.005" in a vise and tried it agian and it finally fit the way it should. I was starting to worry that if step 1 was this much work it would take me forever to build this thing. But surprisingly I kept going and got the entire head assembled, main frame and landing gear assembled with any more issues.

Im at the point in the instructions now where it says to install servos which i dont have yet. Can I carry on building the heli? Will the servos and radio gear be hard to mount afterwards?
Old 02-07-2011, 08:56 PM

Default RE: Tarot 500 build

Also I was planning on getting the rest of my gear from hobby king. Remeber this is a budget build, wont be doing any crazy 3d but heres what I was thinking of using:

Hobby King 500H 1600kv motor
Turnigy Plush 60a ESC
Turnigy 5-7a UBEC (Can i use 3a or do i need 5a? Any others i should look at? Maybe something without a swtich that could fail?)
3 x Turnigy MG-930 for cyclic

HK-401B Gyro
MKS DS9670 tail servo

2 x ZIPPY Flightmax 3000mAh 6S1P 20C batterys
Turnigy Accucel-8 150W 7A Balancer/Charger

Heres a link to my list on Hobby King: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ustomer=402529

Anybody have any advice? Anything I should change?
Old 02-08-2011, 06:05 PM

I have an HK500 with a Turnigy Plush 80A ESC with integrated UBEC. I use the Accucel-6 charger. You will need a power supply for the charger. The 401b gyro is entry level only. It will work ok. Tail will tend to slide right a bit. I use the Turnigy Typhoon 500 motor. Don't forget the pinions (11-12T for that size motor).
Consider a spare set of blades (CF are cheap).
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...dproduct=10696
Old 02-09-2011, 11:40 AM

Can I carry on building without the radio gear? Id like to finish it but im afraid it will be a pain to install everything after. What should I do?

Also id really like to get the remaining components ordered. Do I need an 80 or 60a ESC? Should I go for seperate UBEC or built in? I decided to get a 1600kv motor (heard thyphoon 1800kv was too fast). Should I get the Hobby king 1600kv or the Red Turnigy 1600kv motor? Please help guys so i can get this stuff ordered.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:54 PM

Yes, you can build without radio gear, but leave the servo leads loose but in the right position until you get the receiver. I went with the Plush 80A and didn't need a separate UBEC. The 1800kv is fast, that's why you'd want to use an 11T pinion. On my transmitter, I reduced the max power to 90 or 95% (can't remember). I would read the reviews on both motors and make a decision from that. I have used a Turnigy motor in a 450, and am happy with it.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:05 AM

Problem is I dont have the servos yet. Can I continue to install the tail assembly, and the gears/shaft/head? Or will i just have to dissassemble to install the cyclic servos later?
Old 02-10-2011, 09:13 AM

Cyclic servos can be installed after everything else is together. I would probably leave off the ant-rotation bracket until the elevator servo is installed. Othe than that go ahead. One thing I like about the 500's other than how they fly is ho easy they are to work on.