Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 Question about LIPO chargers >

Question about LIPO chargers

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Question about LIPO chargers

Old 02-15-2011, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about LIPO chargers

Hi, I had a question about LIPO chargers. I have been using the Turnigy Accucel 6 and It has been pretty good so far. I charge my 450 lipos (3s 2200mah) at 2C 4.4 amps. I was wondering, If i were to eventually move up to a trex 500 and use 3000mah 6s lipos, if i would be able to charge hem at 6a assuming that it were lipos capable of a 2c charge rate. Does it matter that there are 3 extra cells? How does this work? the charger is 6A max and 50watts if that matters.

Thanks

Jason
Old 02-15-2011, 06:01 PM

Default RE: Question about LIPO chargers

I have 2 Accucel-6 chargers, and the power supply is only 5A, so I can charge only to that max. I just received a 3rd Accucel-6 and had to return it because it was defective. $20 to return via air and it's a $26 charger... I do like my other two. I charge 2 3s 2200mha at 2.2A using an adapter, and my 6s 3000mha at 3A. I always charge at low C to retain the batteries longer.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:04 PM

Hypothetically, would you be able to charge the 6s lipo at 5A provided that the battery supported the high c charge rate? Does the number of cells limit the amperage your pushing into the lipo?
Old 02-15-2011, 06:17 PM

If you 3000mah battery states 2C max charge rate, then you can set the Accucel-6 charger to 6A charge (6000mah). My charger complained (reset) when I used charge rates that were higher than what the power supply could put out. One of the power supplies is only 5A
Old 02-15-2011, 06:18 PM

all right; thanks a lot. I was just wondering if i would need to get a better charger to keep my charge rates up if i were to move up to a bigger heli. Thanks again.