Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

the Shakes

Old 01-20-2012, 10:01 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default the Shakes

I have recently purchased a used T rex 450. When I getthe head speed up it starts to shake alot what are some of the causes of this. Obviously it has been crashed but where do I start troubleshooting? Thanks , Rotten
Old 01-20-2012, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: the Shakes

The three things I would check first would be the main shaft, possibly bent, the feathering shafts, possibly bent, and check all the components on the head to make sure they are tight. Sometimes they work loose. Also a bent tail rotor shaft can cause shaking. If all this is OK, check blade tracking and paddle alignment. Hope this helps.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:22 AM

Thanks for the speedy reply,I have to break this whole bird apart to check the main shaft? Is there a way to take it off without breaking the whole thing down?
Old 01-20-2012, 10:43 AM
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You covered everthing that could cause this problem but you forgot one thing "used". I purchased a used nitro helicopter several years ago and I learned my lesson.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:58 AM

what kind of shake??

the whole thing shakes like something is out of balance...

or a very quick tail wag like the gyro isn't holding?
Old 01-20-2012, 06:42 PM

You do need to take the head off and check the main shaft and the feathering shaft. Especially w/ a used machine you really do want to go over it throughly. On these machines everything counts and really does have to be right. The shake is a sign something isn't straight, you HAVE to find it and replace the part. It's part of the hobby...Andy
Old 01-22-2012, 02:53 AM

I took the main shaft off and itrolls nice on the glass, The feathering shaft is straight , I noticed when putting the main shaft back in that the tail tube drive was not all the way seated into the gear about an 1/8 of an inch. I have went over the whole bird and everything seems to be in order. I will get her out the next chanceI get, it just snowed 4 inceshere yesterday. I have had several helis years ago,not like theseelectric 3D T Rex's. I flew GMPCrickets and Legends. but Mostly Concept 30's. Those Concept's were alot easierto work on than these T Rex's. Thanks for the advise, John
Old 01-22-2012, 03:08 AM

If she shakes now I know it is the main shaft because When rolling it on the glass I could not be certain it was one hundred percent straight. It seemed the drill bit I was rolling along side it rolled a little easier. But when I noticed the tail boom was not all the way seated, I figured I would give the Main Shaft a shot. I normally would not buy a used Heli but the deal was too sweet, DX7 Tx , Ar 6100e RX, 3 Hitec 65mg servos,1 JRDS 3400g tail servo, Futaba gy401 gyro, 11 220ma TurnigyLi Po's, Aluminum Carrying Case, Carbon Fiber Main Blades, Torque Tube Drive, Carbon Fibre Frames and a Brand new in the Box A109 Scale Fuselage with Retracts in a beautiful U.S. Coast Guard Shceme For 300.00 bucks!! Everything works except for the Shakes, so even if I have to replace some parts, I think it's still worth it. What do you think?
Old 01-22-2012, 08:18 AM
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I had one case where I chased the shakes and it turned out to be the feather shaft even though it rolled nicely on glass, changing it out fixed the problem.

Kind of a long shot but have you checked the blade grip tensions? If they're too tight it'll shake.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:05 AM

I will keep that in mind when I run her up
Old 02-22-2012, 08:50 AM
My Feedback: (6)

I am new to this Trex thing. Because half of the heli was pre-built by someone, I thought I would trust it, and only went over the nuts and bolts tightening lightly. I came so close to have a serious accident. After a few rounds of checking blades tracking run near me, the thing started to shakes violently. Only came to realization the the bolts that holds the blade grips together on the shaft were coming undone. Only a few more threads, and them blades would have come loose and would have struck my face for sure. So, please check everything, and lock tight every bolts.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:16 PM

make sure your lock tite'n everything you have no idea what level builder the seller was . i steer clear of these guys built it for fun only hovered 3 times to dial in yet they have junk elecs on it. if it was me i would go through everything if it moves easily then it didnt get loctite. i did pick up a cherry trex 600 e  fbl  a while ago but the guy was very shady i think it was a 3 party sale as he said he was from florida but it was shipped from missouri or some bs. and it took forever to get it shipped meanwhile he was prob out running around walmarts spending my cash. its tough buying used cuz there are ppl scamming out there and im sure theres some reading these forums .
Old 02-23-2012, 03:54 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Lesson learned. This was a brand new super combo from a sealed box. However, the person, or person that built the head, tail assembly was the
unknown variable. I have always built all of my choppers up from kits before, so I had full control over the entire part list, and assembly processes. This time, I did go though everything with the hex wrench, but failed to realize there was no lock tight in the head components.. Luck was on my side this time.. Thankfully.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:42 AM

I also went over the entire bird, and found several issues. she is up and flying great now. Iswitcheditover to my Futaba stuff and got it programmed into the 9Z.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Rotten40851

I also went over the entire bird, and found several issues. she is up and flying great now. Iswitcheditover to my Futaba stuff and got it programmed into the 9Z.
Try Spektrum..

Sorry, saw your name and couldn't resist..

Just kidding..
Old 03-04-2012, 01:50 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Every once in a while main shaft bearings can be ready to pack it in. To check take a new bearing and turn the centre with one finger then take your old bearing and do the same. The new one should feel smooth as glass the old one should feel the same if not replace it. Silicon spray on the belt does wonders too.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:34 AM

LMFAO!!!! Touche'
ORIGINAL: Rob2160

ORIGINAL: Rotten40851

Try Spektrum..

Sorry, saw your name and couldn't resist..

Just kidding..