Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

ALERT :exi aluminum tail upgrade

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

ALERT :exi aluminum tail upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 04:37 AM
madmorgan
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ALERT :exi aluminum tail upgrade

heres a alert for any and all who have purchased the exi aluminumtail upgrade. you find these at hobbypartz, xheli for 29 bucks you cant beat the prices. so here goes a while back i purchased like 5 units and i recently had bearings go out in the tail section so i replaced the whole tail unit. i took it out for a test and about 1 minute into hover checking blade track the heli started to vibrate bad and lost tail control . i set it down no probs inspected and found that back on the tail shaft where the blade grips go onto the end of the shaft with the grub screw they turned down the shaft but never put in a flat spot where the grub screw can set into and not slip. i inspected other tail unit and it had the flat. so if anyone has these do pull off your tail blade grip assembly and put a flat (if it doesnt have one) and go about your biz.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:57 AM
aircrash

Default RE: ALERT :exi aluminum tail upgrade

Hmm, sure a flat spot would help better not to slip.
But even without there should not slip at all.
The problem is the threadlock if the material is copper.
It hardens too quickly that makes the tightening hard. You think that it has tightened too much but in fact the screw is loose and it may has not even get to the end and only the threadlock makes this feeling.
If there was old threadlock in it and was not cleaned off then it would make this feeling even worse.
Else a grub screw makes so hard contact that it would not slip at all.
You can see the marks a grub screw makes to a shaft.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:02 AM
madmorgan
My Feedback: (2)

well i think they thought the grub screw would dig in enough but it doesnt esp when the tail gets up to speed. even a small flat will help ensure it doesnt slip around the shaft.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:16 AM
aircrash

yes, I agree with you.
A flat spot would make it impossible to slip even if the grub screw was not too tightened.

On the other hand have in mind what I told about the threadlock effect.

Imagine that in my motors which do not have a flat spot the pinion does not slip, even if they have been stressed on some tail boom strikes.
And a motor`s shaft is thinner which is even harder job for the grub screw.
It should not slip even if there was not a flat spot so.

But again, as I said I agree with you. It would need less attention and it would make things better.