Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Old 08-29-2012, 12:43 AM
ingleburn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

ORIGINAL: rikybob

ORIGINAL: Edmund2

Brian, been thinking about you and what that sotrm will do or not do in your area. Now if you have a month of not working on weekends then you have all those weekends to fix that problem you have.

Hope to be going to the farm this weekend to get some open space flying in but that is subject to Mrs E being in hospital for a back operation or not. She damaged her spinal cord and has lost the feeling and mobility in one leg and arm. Can potetnially be fixed but will only know when she had the operation.

Edmund

Hiya Edmund!

Please keep us posted on Mrs. E and let her know that folks that don't even know her, will keep her in their prayers!

As for weekends off, I suffer the same malady as you "normal folks" that have weekends off. Every moment is planned. I am now down in the ole bank account as I spent a substantial amount of money on living room furnature, Saturday!

I could have bought quite a few Goblins for that![:@] I will say though that it's nice furnature!!

Here in the states we have a holiday weekend (Labor Day) so I will be at a resort for four days. It will be difficult with the spectre' of my heli needind work, but as I order drinks from the pool and a smokin hot waitress delevers same (in a bikini) I will heave a big sigh for the broken 450!!

All the best!

b
@ Edmund. Hope your wife is ok mate.

@ Brian. I dont know what weekends are, as I get days off any time of the week.
Glad that storm passed you by and dont brag about hot waitresses unless you post the proof.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:16 AM
Edmund2

Tx guys, she will be going in next week Tuesday morning. Due some excellent drugs usually prescriped for epilepsy patients we at least had some very good sleep the last 5 evenings. 

So I will be getting some flying time in over the weekend and I am looking forward to it. Time to get a Belt CP to go wild in the air and should I have a crash so be it.  Will also check the mcpx setup to see what will happen if set that way as a LHS guy mated it with my DX6i.

Edmund
Old 08-29-2012, 02:38 AM
ahamay

ORIGINAL: ingleburn
ORIGINAL: ahamay
ORIGINAL: Ddaddy
ORIGINAL: Ddaddy
I oil mine about every 10 flights. Coughed up the dough for Boca ceramics on the 450 (450 tail bearings are aweful, both tail and grips (rest mediocre IMO)). I'm hoping they last more than 30ish flights.
Been oiling all 500 bearings too...motor started squealing a few days ago...sigh, more bearings. Gonna go with abec 3 though instead of cermaic.
Have you got links to the bearings, both boca and abec 3.
Here you go http://www.bocabearings.com/
Boca carried abec 3 also (it's just a specification). Google abec 3 and you should get a lot of companies that sell close to you.
Cheers,
Ken
Well I learnt a few things from that site (probably spent way too much time on there to be honest)... and gee those bearings are expensive...they would want to be good.

Jonesy

I bet 1 thing you learnt was that they lie through their teeth. You dont think this was this guys maiden flight of a 450 do you. www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php

Hoping to get a few more flights in tomorrow as I had to take my son to hospital for his monthly check up today.
Yeah, I watched some of his other vids as I was like w t f as well. He's good with the mcpx and brusless mcpx, bit Idon't know if Iwould be flying it like that on a maiden lol.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:32 PM
rikybob

Hi all!

Knocked off 3 batteries on the 500 at the club today and had a blast!

One of the members brought up [link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=24687]THIS[/link] and it is getting very favorable reviews and at less than 1/2 the price of the Align comperable, it puts it in my range!

(Drool)

EDIT: Ouch 750USD All up with good electronics! Ouchy, ouch! Could do it for 603USD if I had only two batteries!

Christmas is just around the corner!

All the best!

b

PS Got some viddy today and will review for suitability (in frame)

Old 08-29-2012, 01:49 PM
ahamay

Hi all!
One of the members brought up [link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=24687]THIS[/link] and it is getting very favorable reviews and at less than 1/2 the price of the Align comperable, it puts it in my range!
(Drool)
EDIT: Ouch 750USD All up with good electronics! Ouchy, ouch! Could do it for 140USD less if I had only two batteries!
All the best!
b
Looks like HK have stepped up the quality with this one. It looks very nice indeed. I can't see any phillips head screws, they are all hex, even the tail. This is the major pitfall of the 450GT. How much harder would it be to just do hex to start with in the 450Gt kit.

Sounds like you've talked yourself into it, let us know when you get it

Jonesy

Old 08-29-2012, 04:46 PM
rikybob

Hi all!
(Drool)
EDIT: Ouch 750USD All up with good electronics! Ouchy, ouch! Could do it for 140USD less if I had only two batteries!
All the best!
b
Looks like HK have stepped up the quality with this one. It looks very nice indeed. I can't see any phillips head screws, they are all hex, even the tail. This is the major pitfall of the 450GT. How much harder would it be to just do hex to start with in the 450Gt kit.

Sounds like you've talked yourself into it, let us know when you get it [img][/img]

Jonesy

Nah, not really as "horny" as I used to be (about a month ago) about new goodies.......just content to go out to the field and sling the ole 500 around.

What a NICE airframe!

However, I will broach the subject as we get into the cooler months about what I may want for Christmas!

The 550 is SUBSTANTIALLY larger than the 500 but not as, dare I say it, as "ungainly" as the 600 in that it is better proportioned, if that makes sense!

We shall see.......in the mean time I'm rendering a vid or two for your viewing pleasure!

b
Old 08-29-2012, 05:41 PM
rikybob

Yet another eggscelent pilot!

b

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxMvHYVU8Nk[/youtube]
Old 08-29-2012, 06:03 PM
pushinoldrc
My Feedback: (46)

b
I am lurking and waiting with baited breath for a nice video of your skills on the 500 at this field.
I will try to get more video of my flying as soon as the monsoon Isaac that is dumping dreary weather on our activities in North Georgia passes.
Bryan

Old 08-29-2012, 06:21 PM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: pushinoldrc

b
I am lurking and waiting with baited breath for a nice video of your skills on the 500 at this field.
I will try to get more video of my flying as soon as the monsoon Isaac that is dumping dreary weather on our activities in North Georgia passes.
Bryan

I'm rendering other vids of other pilots and will soon post my scintillating mad skills soon enough!

Looking forward to your viddys as well!

b
Old 08-29-2012, 06:30 PM
rikybob

Yet another highly skilled pilo, Cort!

b

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NO9P7qNGDY[/youtube]
Old 08-29-2012, 06:47 PM
ingleburn

Well after Brians videos Im almost ashamed to put mine up but here goes.
The first one is a warm up flight but it ended up being the better of the 2. No blather as I wasnt going to upload it. Almost did a Phil a couple of times getting to close to the poles.
The second one was my blather one but got cut short when the wind picked up to much and I didnt want to ditch it.

Cant wait to see your flights Brian. And I hope you get to fly soon as well Bryan.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x817lhWtBFg[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgw18DKYe8Y[/youtube]

Old 08-29-2012, 06:57 PM
rikybob

Well after Brians videos Im almost ashamed to put mine up but here goes.
The first one is a warm up flight but it ended up being the better of the 2. No blather as I wasnt going to upload it. Almost did a Phil a couple of times getting to close to the poles.
The second one was my blather one but got cut short when the wind picked up to much and I didnt want to ditch it.

Cant wait to see your flights Brian. And I hope you get to fly soon as well Bryan.

Wow Ingleburn, you are slinging that bird around wonderfully!

Yah, dunno what I'm going to do about the 550. One thing you can bet is that when I get around to making up my mind I will have to wait on HK for parts!!!

As for my vids, you know how they are going to be. Out of frame and blather! I DO however enjoy the ability to fly more than 20' deep and 15' high!

All the best!

b
Old 08-29-2012, 10:20 PM
ahamay

@Edmund. Best wishes to your wife, hope everything goes well for you both.

@Ingleburn - Those tail blades protesting is a normal sound when your turning that way. Your starting to turn faster and faster.....your skills are certainly improving...good stuff....and yes watch out for those poles.

@ All - I did a quick video on the Align ds415 vs hs5065 on my youtube channel, won't bore you with it here...but thought I would share my experience with Align servos since I started with my first GT. I'm assuming that I got a dodgy one (ds415from the vid) because I don't remember anywhere near that much slop in the other 415 or the 410m's. Local hobby shop quotes about 10-12 week turnaround to get once replaced under warranty as it need to be sent back to Align...so it will go in the bin with the rest.

I had two Ds420's on the tail of my GT's ( 2 birds), both died in flight unexpectantly after about 15-20 flights. This was when I first started building the GT's, these servos were fast and worked great up untill this point.
I replaced these with two more DS420's, both sheared of the metal output spline after around 10 flights. Not sure if these were faulty or if I did them up too tight or what.

Went FBL on the GT with analog servos and that was bad news.
Purchased the Tarot 450 PRO kit and decided on 3 x Align DS410m digital servos. These were great and performed well untill the potentiometer went in one of them after 90 flights no crashes.
Purchased the newer DS415's for the GT and again these were great for about 45 flights untill I accidently hit TH 2 foot off the ground instead of ID1.... 3 cyclic servos gears stripped.

If your using the supplied DS4 (i think it's called) servo horn with these Iwould say that your 100% going to strip the gears on the 410's and 415's as the Metal gear teeth are made of monkey metal and those horns are way too strong for the gearsets.

I don't dislike Align servos...I wanted a good reliable servo that wasn't going to break the bank. They are not expensive servos but they are not the cheapest either. For me this has been a learning curve. I don't know what the lifespan of a servo is supposed to be.

I've now moved away from the Align servos and I'll see how I end up with the Hitec. I've always run Hitec servos in all my RC monster trucks when I was racing them with good results.

Jonesy

Old 08-30-2012, 02:55 AM
rikybob

@Edmund. Best wishes to your wife, hope everything goes well for you both.

@Ingleburn - Those tail blades protesting is a normal sound when your turning that way. Your starting to turn faster and faster.....your skills are certainly improving...good stuff....and yes watch out for those poles.

@ All - I did a quick video on the Align ds415 vs hs5065 on my youtube channel, won't bore you with it here...but thought I would share my experience with Align servos since I started with my first GT. I'm assuming that I got a dodgy one (ds415from the vid) because I don't remember anywhere near that much slop in the other 415 or the 410m's. Local hobby shop quotes about 10-12 week turnaround to get once replaced under warranty as it need to be sent back to Align...so it will go in the bin with the rest.

I had two Ds420's on the tail of my GT's ( 2 birds), both died in flight unexpectantly after about 15-20 flights. This was when I first started building the GT's, these servos were fast and worked great up untill this point.
I replaced these with two more DS420's, both sheared of the metal output spline after around 10 flights. Not sure if these were faulty or if I did them up too tight or what.

Went FBL on the GT with analog servos and that was bad news.
Purchased the Tarot 450 PRO kit and decided on 3 x Align DS410m digital servos. These were great and performed well untill the potentiometer went in one of them after 90 flights no crashes.
Purchased the newer DS415's for the GT and again these were great for about 45 flights untill I accidently hit TH 2 foot off the ground instead of ID1.... 3 cyclic servos gears stripped.

If your using the supplied DS4 (i think it's called) servo horn with these I would say that your 100% going to strip the gears on the 410's and 415's as the Metal gear teeth are made of monkey metal and those horns are way too strong for the gearsets.

I don't dislike Align servos...I wanted a good reliable servo that wasn't going to break the bank. They are not expensive servos but they are not the cheapest either. For me this has been a learning curve. I don't know what the lifespan of a servo is supposed to be.

I've now moved away from the Align servos and I'll see how I end up with the Hitec. I've always run Hitec servos in all my RC monster trucks when I was racing them with good results.

Jonesy

"Servo Snob"

The awaited for "Brian, flying his POSH GIT Align 500 @ the Torchs.org club" viddy or "Brian blathering away while getting to fly in a slightly larger area"!

All the best!

b

ps I know it's not in frame much! Grrrrrr![:@]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PfGdD5dE5U[/youtube]
Old 08-30-2012, 11:36 PM
Edmund2

What is wrong guys? I am not used to getting to my office in the morning with no overnight posts by those who wake up long before me and those that go to bed when I am asleep for hours already.

Officially spring tomorrow but the weather has been brilliant the last week, slight breeze outside now and low 20's C temperature. Can not wait to fly over the weekend. Do miss Rob lately

Enjoy your weekend guys.

Edmund

Old 08-31-2012, 01:46 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: Edmund2

What is wrong guys? I am not used to getting to my office in the morning with no overnight posts by those who wake up long before me and those that go to bed when I am asleep for hours already.

Officially spring tomorrow but the weather has been brilliant the last week, slight breeze outside now and low 20's C temperature. Can not wait to fly over the weekend. Do miss Rob lately

Enjoy your weekend guys.

Edmund

Morning Edmund,

It's a number of things I'm afraid. I'm a little too busy to fly of late and frankly it's too phreakin' HOT!

Simon is entertaining nephews and enjoying their company immensely!

Rob is doing what many boys do when they loose interest in helicopters (need I say more?) and Phil just PM'd me the other day lamenting that his overly strict work computer won't allow him to enjoy RC Universe, so it's only nights an weekends for him and being really busy of late on a big "deal" at work doesn't allow much time at the keyboard.

Rob and I have been keeping up however and he is doing well! Very well indeed! I think recall he threatened to build yet another heli!

As for the rest of the guys they have just fallen silent. I have all ideas in November we will effectively loose another personality to a wonder "new" world. Hmmmm who could that be?

I do like the edition of Menmemmemme. He seems like a funny lot!

Off to the resort for the weekend an I'll have "one" for ya!

b
Old 08-31-2012, 03:06 AM
ahamay

As for the rest of the guys they have just fallen silent. I have all ideas in November we will effectively loose another personality to a wonder "new" world. Hmmmm who could that be?

b
Won't happen.... Iwork with IT&T all day...Ican stalk this forum from anywhere .... even if i'm dead tired from no sleep....

........ oh .... I presume your talking about me

Old 08-31-2012, 03:35 AM
Kozzy_98

Well I am still around. Wanted to fly my 450s earlier this afternoon but the weather closed in!

Hopefully I will get the weekend!

Head is now all perfect on both of my 450s, and I did a little more work on my up and coming one, which is waiting for a tail servo. I have a few LH-GY520s in the bag from Rob and Phil, would they be better than a HK401b? Also an Mimi-MEMS GA-250.

Is the Detrum GY48V the same as the HK401b?

The tail servo will be that new TGY-306G servo from HK which looks to be an ablsolute ripper. What I have found with the new build is that the MT frame, the one where you need those servo mounting parts absolutely loves the HK939/929MG as the cyclic servos when the mod is performed on them. This works well for me as I have alot of 939/929MG servos and like 3 spare MT frames!

Them 550 helis look absolutely amazing!

Will hopefully be able to set up my MCPX exactly like the 450s as my MCPX is very twitchy compared to the 450s...

Phil should bargain to have access to RCU

Hope all is well, Im all geared up for hopefully a nice weekend!
Old 08-31-2012, 03:48 AM
ingleburn

b
Won't happen.... Iwork with IT&T all day...Ican stalk this forum from anywhere .... even if i'm dead tired from no sleep....

Mate the first few months all they do is eat, sleep and s h i t.
Plenty of time to fly and catch up here. I used to volunteer to do the 3am feed time and have peace and quiet to check emails, play games and such. Youll understand that thinking soon enough

Old 08-31-2012, 04:02 AM
ingleburn

ORIGINAL: Kozzy_98

Well I am still around. Wanted to fly my 450s earlier this afternoon but the weather closed in!

Hopefully I will get the weekend!

Head is now all perfect on both of my 450s, and I did a little more work on my up and coming one, which is waiting for a tail servo. I have a few LH-GY520s in the bag from Rob and Phil, would they be better than a HK401b? Also an Mimi-MEMS GA-250.

Is the Detrum GY48V the same as the HK401b?

The tail servo will be that new TGY-306G servo from HK which looks to be an ablsolute ripper. What I have found with the new build is that the MT frame, the one where you need those servo mounting parts absolutely loves the HK939/929MG as the cyclic servos when the mod is performed on them. This works well for me as I have alot of 939/929MG servos and like 3 spare MT frames!

Them 550 helis look absolutely amazing!

Will hopefully be able to set up my MCPX exactly like the 450s as my MCPX is very twitchy compared to the 450s...

Phil should bargain to have access to RCU

Hope all is well, Im all geared up for hopefully a nice weekend!
Yeah the weather in Sydney sucks at the moment but next week is looking better.
I always liked the GY520 better than the 401b but thats just my preference.
And I reckon my 450 is twitchier than the MCPX because when I get it out I can really throw it around but that might be because Im not afraid of trashing it.

Quick shout out to
Phil, Rob, Ian, Tinkman, Spiros and all you other lurkers. Stick your head in and say hello.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:53 AM
mnemennth

Hi guys; I'm still alive.

Now that the PsychoScreamingB!tch-***POS... err, my Genius CP has kakked a elevator servo and I've worn out the motors for my V911 and broken all the tailbooms on my 9958s, I guess it's time to get back to a 450-class bird.

I'm thinking about doing a rebuild of my HK-450GT; can't afford FBL right now but have new HXT900 servos & one of those LeadersHobby X450 motors that's running smooth as glass. I also have one of their GA-250 MEMSGyros I haven't tried yet; any experience or advice on programming it, since it doesn't actually have any switches or pots on it? Or am I better off sticking with my Detrum GY48?

It's either that or maybe try and straighten a driveshaft and rebuild a head for my EXI450Pro.

Boy, I sure did miss the smell of warm bearings all that time away with the micros...

mnem
...Not to mention fiberglas splinters and tailrotor love bites.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:06 AM
mnemennth

Okay; I have a line on a used Align 3GFBL unit; it looks like a good deal but I understand they are older technology and I don't know if it does the mixing internally. Looking at the setup vids I've seen it appears pretty complex; am I better off getting one of the BeastXClone units you guys have? Price is close to the BeastXclone.

mnem
*Fly-less*
Old 08-31-2012, 02:14 PM
ahamay

b
Mate the first few months all they do is eat, sleep and s h i t.
Plenty of time to fly and catch up here. I used to volunteer to do the 3am feed time and have peace and quiet to check emails, play games and such. Youll understand that thinking soon enough
Volunteer.... Iwon't need to do that....as Ihave already been "assigned" to the early morning feeds ..... apparently.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:19 PM
Ddaddy

Hey guys! How ya'll been? Sorry I haven't been on, been busy shopping for a fisheye lens for Brian (jk rb

3G has gotten a lot of bad rap, arguablyy the most of any unit. Beast x probaly has the largest fan base.

Ummm, get one of EVERY kind and report back! Boy, that would be nice wouldn't it!

Good health and good spirits to everyone

Ken
Old 08-31-2012, 02:22 PM
ahamay

ORIGINAL: Kozzy_98

HK have just added a High Voltage version of that servo as well...something to watch out for..... there's two version to pick from now.

TGY-306G-HV High Voltage Ultra Fast/High Torque MG Digital Alloy Cased Servo 3.7kg / .05sec / 21g

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.