Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 T-Rex 450 SE or MX400 Pro >

T-Rex 450 SE or MX400 Pro

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

T-Rex 450 SE or MX400 Pro

Old 05-09-2006, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: T-Rex 450 SE or MX400 Pro

Now this is getting ridiculous---

This should be good!!!

http://media.putfile.com/Early-Trex-flight-206

Lloyd
Old 05-10-2006, 09:42 AM

hdoc- Nice hover, well balanced machine, tail in control, good video

Peter- Chinook's body looks really nice- just like real scaled model.

thanks for sharing..

squadri.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:54 PM

Hi Guys:

Well, weather's still bad in NY but did take the Trex out for a few flights yesterday, My first real mishap- got a bit disoriented and came down hard-- broke my first rotor blade after 75 or so flights. Am getting far more aggressive in my learning to fly, so I do expect crashes. Also changed my totally worn belt---

Lesson 2345 re the Trex or any Heli. Last belt change about 2 mos ago, I really 'locktited' the 6 tail "gear box" screws well, & to my satisfaction really tightened them to the hilt with an "L" shaped Allen wrench. On unscrewing them, 5 came out with mild difficulty, but the last wouldn't budge!!! With max effort, I finally stripped the "Allen" head of the screw!!! Took about an hour of effort to finally get it out!!(whole new tail assembly would be about $45)-- ie: No need to overly tighten the screws when properly locktited. Just "snug"---and then a bit more...

Was flying the 325 Wooden blades which were great, and switched to the 315 carbon blades whch came with the kit. Must say, it's not as stable as the 325's. I did get an additional 3 minutes of flying time, but......Have several sets of the 325's-- Will switch back when I crack these.

My Raptor's still standing by with it's fully tightened tail rotor, for decent weather. Must admit, as great as Nitros are, they're a pain considering all the accessories and "space" you need to fly. I can easily take the Trex anywhere, anytime, with no effort.

Lloyd
Old 05-13-2006, 01:53 PM

Lloyd,

Great you're making progress. I've been getting more aggressive. I've got a guy here near my home that flys very hard 3D and just seeing him makes you inherently more aggressive. I've started flying nose-in and can do it with good comfort. I do have a suggestion for you and the others. The 335 pro blades are really awesome. They give you a lot of stability when you fly because of the larger blade, and they have good flight characteristics. They guy that flies 3D uses the plain wood 335 wood blades (not the pro ones) and he can do awesome stuff with those cheap blades. However, just like a larger heli that's more stable because of the longer blades, the 335 pro blades will give you more stability.

Yeah, I don't like those 315 carbon blades. If you're looking for good, sturdy and very pretty 325 carbon blades, helidirect has these blades which are only 24.95

Anyway, good luck. I'm working on getting more comfortable with nose-in as well as circles. Hopefully will be doing 3D by the end of the summer or year.

Oh, I've also bought the Align cold light strings and some night blades from HeliDirect ($59.95) which look great in flight. Here's a picture of it spooling up on the ground:

Have fun!

Joe
Old 05-13-2006, 04:19 PM

Hi Guys-- Joe...

I do have 2 sets of 325's- 1 Wood & 1 'Fiber' -- Will switch back when I crack the 315's.

Meantime, weatherman was wrong!!! Beautiful sunny day in NY today. Finally got the Raptor up for a real maiden flight. Squad--When O took it off initially, was very disheartened to see even worse wagging than with the loose tail rotor. Then brought the 401 gain down from 90% to 60%. What a difference!! Here's the first minute or so of a most successful 15 minute maiden voyage.

http://media.putfile.com/Raptor-Maiden-Flight

Lloyd
Old 05-14-2006, 08:08 AM

After 4 months of flying my Blade CP and saving my pennies, and the fact that June will be a 3 paycheck month, it is time to start ordering my T-Rex 450 SE and all the parts that go with it. I've decided on the following:

T-Rex 450SE w/align 430L and 35A ESC
Futaba GY401 and 9650

Now for the things I haven't decided on....

Collective servos - Which ones are the best. I've heard the Hitec HS-56HB are great. Do you agree?

Receiver - Hitec Electron 6 Dual Conv Receiver. Is this a good receiver? And how will this receiver affect my transmitter choice? My choices for a transmitter based on what I can afford, are the Hitec Eclipse 7 or the Futaba 7CHP. Which of these would be a better choice? I understand that the 7CHP uses crystals and not modules for changing channels, so would the Eclipse be a better choice in this price category. If I go with the 7CHP would I be better off with a different receiver.

Thanks for the help.

Doug
Old 05-14-2006, 11:26 AM

Lloyd,

When you need new blades (exhaust your existing blades), I suggest you try the 335 pro blades because they're longer than the 325s. You'll see posts that they're not as "responsive" because they're longer. They're still responsive and more stable than the 325s and 315s. Just try em. You'll like em.

Doug,

I'm sorry I don't have any advice as to a good receiver/transmitter. I have had the Spektrum and converted my JR 6102 to 2.4 GHz. No glitches and great for park flying. However, I'm going to be getting a Raptor 50SE and will need to get a new transmitter. I'm going to be getting a Futaba 9CHPS. I guess my advice to you if I had any would be to make sure you can get a PCM receiver to help decrease the amount of glitches. Electronics placement is important because this can cause a lot of glitches as well. Good luck and it's always nice to hear someone upgrading from the blade. It is such a world of difference. You'll find out!

Joe
Old 05-14-2006, 11:54 AM

Doug:

Over-all your choices are excellent. I have the same Hitec receiver which mates perfectly with my 6 Yr old Futaba 8UHPS Xmitter. The Futaba Xmitter holds 8 models in memory so at the moment my Trex,Raptor, and eventually the Chinook will programmed in.

As for servos, I'm using the MPI Max 50HP. which needs no "surgery" for mounting. Runs about $23. Many others are just as good.

I wasn't thrilled with the ESC, so got the Phoenix 35A which has been excellent.

Most important electronic advise is proper parts placement to avoid inerference.--Also, I have a small "Deans Antenna" which avoids dangling wires and provides excellent reception.

Don't know if anyone saw that Raptor video of mine, but it takes a "while" to download--PAIN

Joe: Those lights are really 'Sexy" Will look into the 335's.

Lloyd
Old 05-14-2006, 02:15 PM

Hdoc,

Thanks for the info. Your Raptor looks cool and huge. Who was the brave videographer?

Doug
Old 05-14-2006, 06:48 PM

Glad you liked it Doug. Photography was by a friend of mine with my camera--He was far away with a long lens. Actually zoomed too far in.

Joe: After mother's day dinner with the family here, some were interested in seeing my Heli's. Showed all 5, and proceded to do a demo in the garage with the Trex. Flew fine, but really, suddenly, felt so much less stable than in the past(with the 315's). The Trex was always rock-stable, and since my Raptor flight yesterday, which was totally rock-stable despite it's maiden flight, I was a bit taken aback at the fact that I couldn't hold it Rock Stable!! Will switch back to the 325's, and look into the 335's. Even if it's less responsive, I'm certainly not ready for any stunting yet.

Lloyd
Old 05-14-2006, 10:16 PM

Hi All:

Found flaws in those videos--- Too slow download, too small picture.

Checked the Putfile site & coverted them to '.wmv' files-- Here are the new links.

http://media.putfile.com/Raptor-Maiden-Flight-22

http://media.putfile.com/Trex-3-30

Lloyd
Old 05-15-2006, 10:07 AM

hi guys..

Joe- that is so cool.. those blades and the pics.. looks as if taken for one of those commercial pics for those blades.. how does it feel when you fly it.. have you flown it yet.. and if yes.. than how is the orientation.

hdoc- that raptor clips is good.. it does really look stable as you said.. you guys are progessing too fast.. for me to catch up.. []

I have to catch up starting with a clip of TREX...

Doug- I almost have the same set up.. except R146IP PCM RX Reciever and 9CHP super.. works great for me.. no glitches no regrets yet..... Great that you are moving in with TREX. I also migrated from Blade CP and still enjoy it..

take care..all

squadri
Old 05-15-2006, 11:07 AM

Squadri,

THe night blades are cool. I'm still not that daring with it for many reasons, (expensive blades, poor lighting). But the cold light strings are a must for orientation. I've recently put an LED (just one of those keychain LED lights) on the tail facing hte main rotor hub and it lights this up really awesome. I'll be changing the canopy for something a little more translucent and putting an LED there also. This should help more with orientation but it is cool. So far, i'm the only one around my buddies that has the full set-up but one of my friends will be adding the cold light strings to his night blades and we'll be flying together. But it is very cool.

Joe
Old 05-15-2006, 11:53 AM

Hey guys,

Not much flying these past few days with the constant rain we're getting on the east coast. My Chinook is rusting due to lack of use (just kidding).

Lloyd, enjoyed the video. I find it very helpful to see how others are doing as we all learn how to become better pilots. Even watching someone start the engine to see different techniques and such is really helpful so I encourage all of you guys to post videos so we can all learn more.

I agree with Joe, the 315's are just not very stable. I have bought several blades and I find that they all fly differently either in terms of stability, maneuverability, or lift. I find this is a lot harder to figure out than on my MX400 because they only seem to have one set of blades for that helo and they are wood with a plastic covering and they fly very well. I wish I could get them for the Trex but I haven't seen anything like it.

Peter
Old 05-15-2006, 03:55 PM

Peter:

Agree all videos are enlightening.

The OS MaX .32 has been a bore to start...AT 1/2 Throttle without plug power I crank about 3-4 seconds till the fuel line is full. Then hook up the plug, Close the throttle, and raise throttle trim to 3/4-- Crank again & it's running in a second!! at a nice idle.

However, took a good 10 to 15 resettings of the needle valve & mixture control to get it just right without frequent stalling. The settings are very sensitive. Then again I think it's still too rich, and will continue resetting till 'just right'.

Will send a 'starting' video ASAP if the weather clears.

Lloyd
Old 05-15-2006, 06:29 PM

Hi Guys--Again:

Briefly--Fascinating--re the 325 Vs 315 Trex blades. Switched to the 325 Wood today, and she's back to her 'rock stable' self. I'm far better in my mechanical,aerodynamic,and electronic's understanding than I am in flying skill, but was fascinated at the really significant handling improvement with LESS than 1 Cm blade(per blade) change.

Lloyd
Old 05-15-2006, 06:47 PM

335s...Same price as 325 pro blades...
Old 05-16-2006, 01:38 PM

hi guys..

finally at work i was able to convert dvd format into mpeg of my trex-se

pilot location: porch
landing and taking off from the porc

video: my wife Shabana- her first video shooting a heli

flight time on TREX: approx 2 months since purchased. 1 flight per day

total cost of maintenance: landing skid and tail belt

Overall very please with the machine-

please feel free to shoot any comments..

http://media.putfile.com/trex-se1mpg

enjoy,
squadri
Old 05-16-2006, 05:51 PM

Squadri:

That was really excellent flying & photography. What did you mean a few posts ago that we're all way ahead of you??? WRONG -
Was most impressed when you landed it 'up' on the porch again. Keep it up--You're doing great!! Handling it like a pro.

One putfile posting suggestion. The .mpg files download very slowly & play 'small screen". If you're running Windows, look for
WINDOWS MEDIA ENCODER, in the Windows media folder, and convert the .MPG to .WMV files. Takes 2 passes(All automatic) and about 15 Min, but when people hit the link, the video will start considerably sooner and in a larger format.

6:30 PM in NY and beautiful SUN. Pouring rain all day and soaked outside. Another day wait to get the Raptor up again. Strange day in the Garage today. Blade was acting up terribly with poor yaw control ? bad 4-in-0ne, And was doing short FFF runs in the garage with the Trex. That was some sight-- Then started doing U-Turns in the garage with it (Not easy in 12 Ft clearance.) Finally hit throttle too hard & hit the ceiling!!!! Too bad the top of the vertical fin isn';t as long as the bottom. Tail blade hit the ceiling & snapped. But it came down OK!! Then, after all was OK again, with the Raptor, Blade, & Trex on the edge of my workbench, hit it with my elbow & it hit the floor!! Good square landing but the skid holder snapped!! Oh well, have had the Gorilla Gear still in its package for 2 Mos. Time to change. Aah- The frustrations of Heli flying.

Lloyd
Old 05-16-2006, 08:51 PM

Nice porch landing Squadri!! Not much room for error.

After seeing that, I can't wait to get my SE. I'm ordering it next week. My Blade has a bad 4 in 1 now, I'm debating on whether I should fix it right away, or use the money on SE parts

Doug
Old 05-16-2006, 09:51 PM

Squadri,

Very impressive video. Love the porch take-off and landing and your flying in between was pretty good too.

I really think that this video thing is great because now we can see how each of us flies rather than just talking about it in the forum.

I'd like to see your flying in an open space, Squadri, because I bet it's even better.

I'll try to get another video out there when I get a bit better...maybe I'll do some 3D with the Chinook

Peter
Old 05-17-2006, 02:14 PM

Thanks guys.. for reviewing my clip..

it was great hearing from all of you.. yes I agree it is a great thing sharing our flight videos and hearing from our team.. i think we should all keep on doing it as we progress...

hdoc- thanks for the .wmf format converion i will use it next time when i load a video...
regarding your poor tail control it could be your tail motor rather than bad 4in1. not sure but Blades are famous for loosing tail control when the tail motor is about to die..

Peter: yes flying in an open field would be nice but i have not done it yet..

Dough: get that SE man.. that sounds good once you get it.. and start flying it without much caring about the wind conditions..

As far as my flights are going.. i lost for tail motor for my blade.. after having some really decent fast flight.. up down forward.. the EDF50 tail motors are good but just like all other tail motors they get hot and loose their life.. all the lhs were out of EDF50 or dont carry them so I had ot order on-line 2 of them..priority mail.. hopefully would have it by the weekend..

I still fly my se.. but some how i still want to fly my blade..

anyways.. it was great hearing from all of you.. and happy flying..

squadri..
Old 05-17-2006, 05:43 PM

Squadri-

You're right, it might be, and probably is the tail motor. I can hold it, barely, with full Rt sensitivity on the gyro & full Rt rudder stick. Have been thru several tail motors, but have not used the blade much lately with the Trex & Raptor.(Actually it was flying well last week NO Crash!!) Will consider a new motor, & if OK will consider selling the whole set. Must say, I really learned Heli flying on it. But between the Trex & Raptor I have my work cut out for the next year re Flying & repairs. Still planning om the Chinook sometime soon.

Funny thing-- I had mentioned to Peter early in the thread, that I wanted to sell the Raptor because of all the "oil", dirt, and Pain in the rear carrying of of all the accessories.(realistically, just 1 heavy case). My Wife's also a "clean" nut!!! Well, it been sitting in my garage for 6 years and last Sat was the official maiden voyage. You have no idea how elated I was with that flight--15 or so Min of simple hovering All direction maneuvering is a small parking lot. (You saw the first 2 min.) At this pont I'll never give the nitro up!!
Of course for the Trex, it's a 1 Min drive to the park, Trex,Xmitter, extra LiPo, 1.5 & 2mm Hex driver & long nose pliers.

Lloyd
Old 05-17-2006, 06:46 PM

ORIGINAL: squadri1126

Dough: get that SE man.. that sounds good once you get it.. and start flying it without much caring about the wind conditions..

I've decided on what I am getting on my SE package and will be ordering it next week when my funds are available.

Trex 450SE w/430L and 35A ESC
Futaba GY401 and S9650 tail servo
3 HS56 servos
Futaba Super 9CHP 72mHz Super PCM-PPM TX W/NiCd Pack, Frequency Flag, Manual, Transmitter Frequency Module, Charger, Futaba R146iP 72mHz PCM Receiver, Matching Futaba Rcvr Frequency Crystal

That should be a great setup. Can't wait.... Woohoo!!!

Doug
Old 05-17-2006, 07:04 PM

Lloyd,

I agree about nitro. There is something about it. Now that I bought a Sullivan Dynatron (up to 24v) high torque starter, coupled with a shaft with one way bearing, starting (particularly the Chinook) is a breeze and a lot of fun. Nitro definitely adds a really cool dimension to the flying. I like the smoke and the sound is just great.

The electrics are nice for a quick fly as I just have to plug in a charged Lipo but I have to say that I don't mind the mess of nitro (plus you can blow the helo off with denatured alcohol spray and clean it in a sec).

Anyway, it looks like over time, most of us are adding Nitro birds to our fleets (Hdoc and me so far as well as Joe mentioning that he's going for a raptor 50 soon).

Anyway, can't wait for some more nice weather days to get out all of the helos and continue on improving as a pilot (which I'll of course share in a video when I can).

Peter

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.